Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-26-2012, 03:47 AM   #331
alexul
Connoisseur
alexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura about

Device: PB 360, Kobo Touch
I also encountered the frozen sensor thing. It was a little bit scary at first because I didn't know whether the whole device broke or it was just temporary.
alexul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #332
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post
Apart from a few dead taps (and the horrendous new UI) I had not experienced any problems with the KT for several weeks now.
And then last night I had a double page turn, poorly rendered menu (first time for that), and it refused to turn off properly for the second time. . .

I think it's safe to say that I will be very cautious before buying any e-device from Kobo in the future.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #333
p55
p55 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
(assuming this thread is also for suggestions?)

How about an option from the Main Menu to "Shutdown".

Seeing as the device is linux, I assume when you hold the power button for 3 seconds, it runs some scripts (save bookmark, clear file cache, etc), so why cant we have a menu option to do this? Of course have a "Are you sure" after choosing shutdown. Or even an option in Settings in whether or not the Shutdown option will even show up.

Im only saying this because the power button sucks.
p55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #334
psy65
Enthusiast
psy65 doesn't litterpsy65 doesn't litter

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by p55 View Post
(assuming this thread is also for suggestions?)

How about an option from the Main Menu to "Shutdown".

Seeing as the device is linux, I assume when you hold the power button for 3 seconds, it runs some scripts (save bookmark, clear file cache, etc), so why cant we have a menu option to do this? Of course have a "Are you sure" after choosing shutdown. Or even an option in Settings in whether or not the Shutdown option will even show up.

Im only saying this because the power button sucks.

that would be nice specially since the power button cannot shutdown the device properly since update 1.9.16

anyone has heard a new firmware coming soon?

Last edited by psy65; 01-28-2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: typo
psy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #335
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psy65 View Post
that would be nice specially since the power button cannot shutdown the device properly since update 1.9.16

anyone has heard a new firmware coming soon?
I have heard quite a lot problems with 1.9.16 firmware, which were fixed by resetting device to factory defaults and then re-applying the update. You should try that as well if you haven't done that yet.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #336
Gaffer
Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

I sympathize with those who have problems, but I think an outsider might get the impression that the problems mentioned are universal. They are not. I've been using my Kobo Touch since last summer with no difficulties. I've read more than 20 books on the Kobo, some kepub titles from the Kobo site, loaded with the Kobo software, some DRM epubs from my public library, loaded with Adobe Digital Editions, and some non-DRM epubs from various websites, which I side loaded.

I upgraded to 1.9.16 the day after it came out, and it has performed fine for me. My power button works perfectly. If I slide and hold it briefly, my Kobo enters sleep mode. If I slide and hold it for 3-4 seconds, it powers off. I timed it both ways just before writing this, and found that from sleep mode, my book opens in under 2 seconds, but from power down, it takes 24 seconds.

Having read the complaints here about double page turns, I paid close attention as I read my last book. It happened one time, so not perfect, but far under a 1% problem rate over several hundred page turns. It took me a half second to correct the single double turn by paging back, so not much inconvience over the course of several reading sessions.

I played around with the search function, which I normally use sparingly, and it still works perfectly. No searches took more than a second. I also played with the bookmarking feature, which I'd never used before. I discovered that if I navigate to a bookmark, there is no way to automatically return to the point where I had been reading. It works, but the implementation could be improved.

Anyway, there's my situation. I'm quite happy with my reader, and with the current software version. I imagine there are many others like me, but I understand that people having issues are far more motivated to post. I only wish they were as fortunate as I have been.
Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #337
Jeff1192
Connoisseur
Jeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toysJeff1192 shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo touch
Hmmmm since upgrading to .16 my wifi will no longer correct to my router. It asks for my password (which I have verified I am typing in properly) and then I get an error message saying that it is unable to join. I'm only noticing this now as I almost never use the wifi. It was working before .16.

Any ideas?

Jeff
Jeff1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #338
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Other than the double-tap issue, I haven't had any problems with the .16 firmware either. The power button works just as it should.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:39 PM   #339
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
I have heard quite a lot problems with 1.9.16 firmware, which were fixed by resetting device to factory defaults and then re-applying the update. You should try that as well if you haven't done that yet.
Thanks for the advice

Would you please take the trouble to explain how to do this

I'm very new to eReaders, the Kobo Touch is my first and only one so far !
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #340
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post
And then last night I had a double page turn, poorly rendered menu (first time for that), and it refused to turn off properly for the second time. . .

I think it's safe to say that I will be very cautious before buying any e-device from Kobo in the future.
Just as a counterpoint, I haven't had a single significant problem with my Kobo Touch. It's interesting how widely people's experiences can differ when it comes to electronics devices. Ah, the wonders of modern technology.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:26 PM   #341
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
Quote:
It's interesting how widely people's experiences can differ when it comes to electronics devices
I agree. I have had no problems with my KT at all. I also bought mine 2nd hand from the flea market forum on here.
MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:23 AM   #342
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
Thanks for the advice

Would you please take the trouble to explain how to do this

I'm very new to eReaders, the Kobo Touch is my first and only one so far !
First of all, you will need to sync with server to save your reading life. Also, back up all books you have transferred to device if you have done so. Books purchased from Kobo store are automatically synchronized.

Note that this process will clear up your reading statistics.

You will need to set up the device again with your computer, and you will need your Kobo account.

After all is clear and backups has been made, do following:

1. Start up your Kobo Touch
2. In main menu, touch "Home" and then "Settings"
3. Touch "Device Information"
4. Touch "Factory reset" NOTE! THIS WILL CLEAR THE DEVICE
5. Device asks confirmation and does its magic for few minutes

After the process, you can start the device, and it is just like brand new. It will ask you to connect to computer and run through setup. During the process, device will automatically upgrade to latest firmware again.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:52 AM   #343
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
The only real issue I have with teh KT atm on 1.9.16 is large capacity SD cards (anything over 4Gb) cause the KT to crash back to the homescreen and the SD card disconnects.
This is a major problem in 1.9.16, it wasn't as much of an issue in earlier firmwares (although it still happened).
It works fine with 2GB SD cards.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:17 AM   #344
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
First of all, you will need to sync with server to save your reading life. Also, back up all books you have transferred to device if you have done so. Books purchased from Kobo store are automatically synchronized.

Note that this process will clear up your reading statistics.

You will need to set up the device again with your computer, and you will need your Kobo account.

After all is clear and backups has been made, do following:

1. Start up your Kobo Touch
2. In main menu, touch "Home" and then "Settings"
3. Touch "Device Information"
4. Touch "Factory reset" NOTE! THIS WILL CLEAR THE DEVICE
5. Device asks confirmation and does its magic for few minutes

After the process, you can start the device, and it is just like brand new. It will ask you to connect to computer and run through setup. During the process, device will automatically upgrade to latest firmware again.
Thanks a million

It worked perfectly

My Kobo Touch is running like a well oiled machine now

Your idea of resetting device to factory defaults and then re-applying the update is highly recommended by me for everyone having the problems being complained about in this thread

Thanks again for your excellent advice
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #345
dioioib
Enthusiast
dioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch N905B
I am curious as to how many people who are not having problems are side loading content? As well if you are side loading content what size memory card are you using, what brand, and what classification number is the microSD card. My reader seems to work fine without the side loaded content but it is significantly problematic with, I am starting to think it could be the memory card more than the firmware.
dioioib is offline   Reply With Quote