Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #316
psy65
Enthusiast
psy65 doesn't litterpsy65 doesn't litter

Device: kobo touch
anyone knows when next firmware update is scheduled?

i'd love to turn off my reader without having to redo setup 80% of the times i restart it.
psy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #317
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by psy65 View Post
i'd love to turn off my reader without having to redo setup 80% of the times i restart it.
Have you done the usual "reset to factory defaults"? That fixes many problems. If yes, then you might have defective device.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #318
psy65
Enthusiast
psy65 doesn't litterpsy65 doesn't litter

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
Have you done the usual "reset to factory defaults"? That fixes many problems. If yes, then you might have defective device.
It was working perfectly fine with 1.9.14 firmware. And all the firmware before that one too...
psy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #319
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psy65 View Post
It was working perfectly fine with 1.9.14 firmware. And all the firmware before that one too...
Yes, but some users had problems upgrading to 1.9.16, but after reset and new upgrade everything worked. It seems that sometimes upgrade left some garbage behind.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #320
Cottser
Enthusiast
Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottser View Post
I don't mind the new home screen at all. However, I do mind this:

This will only work if you have recommendations on your Kobo Touch.

Open your library, and search for the letter "A". You should see, among the books in your actual library, recommendations. With "Buy now" buttons. Now that is advertising.
Now I'm thinking this might show new releases, etc. - not just recommendations. Can anyone test this?
Cottser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #321
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

If I search for "a" I get 17 pages of results with only 6 pages of books in my library, and my own books are splattered throughout those 17 pages. This renders a library-search practically useless for any search that's not very specific.

I really hope for improvement with the library and search; categories, tags, as at least that way there would be workarounds...

Actually I think labels would be the thing, as a combination of categories and tags; a book could have several labels that would show it several "baskets" as well as have it show up in a search including that label.

That would give me some finetuning options in search and library.

Of course I believe there MUST be an option to get results only from my own library if I do not specifically search the shop!!!
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #322
dioioib
Enthusiast
dioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch N905B
agreed search is useless now.

I did a 4th factory reset last night. It went flawless until i unplugged it. Content processing from side load is taking a long time innitially but seems to get faster the next time through.

I am giving up trying to get this version working.
dioioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #323
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsoawesome View Post
Maybe bug?

I sideloaded a few epubs which I had added covers to on Calibre, then reconverted to epub and resaved and added to my Kobo library. I have done this process in the past to get covers on all of my 600 books but for some reason these recent 10 will just not display covers when I add them to the kobo. I get the original default page/cover or the first page of text.

It is only happening to these few books which I have added since the update, and never happened before the update.

But these covers are present and accounted for when the epubs are in calibre.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Reverting back to .14 when get home from work tonight to see if it helps.
I've noticed that if you don't Remove the epub from the Kobo first, through its GUI, that the cover doesn't change. I think the touch is cacheing the cover, and isn't paying any attention that the timestamp on the file has changed.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #324
Pesho
Pesho began at the beginning.

Guys, get rid of the "Featured" if you still want to sell Kobos!

I've just bought new Kobo Touch. After the first update - the "FEATURED" CRAP appeared on my Home Screen!
I decide to write the following to the Marketing Guys from Kobo - our user's ULTIMATUM:
1. I HATE somebody to "recommend" me what I have to buy! Period!
2. What I hate MORE is to display that CRAP on my home screen!
3. What I hate EVEN MORE is to pretend to do it for my own good, but with MY MONEY!
4. If some stupid, aggressive marketing junkie think that in such a way will FORCE ME TO BUY any piece of "Featured" CRAP - he's very badly mistaken!
5. DO NOT LOSE YOUR ONLY ADVANTAGE over the other eReaders - the absolute lack of aggressive marketing on eBooks!

You know why?
Because if we, yours (still loyal?) customer wanted the crap above - we'd buy iPad...
Pesho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:22 PM   #325
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Here's the latest bug I encountered:

Late last night, after reading for about an hour, I tapped to turn the page. Instead it underlined an empty space at the end of a line and brought up the dictionary/ facebook menu. After that, the touch capability was gone. I could not X out of the menu, so I used the home button to bookmark my page and return home. I still could not select anything, so I shut down my KT, waited a bit, then started it up again. Worked perfectly for the rest of my session.

Apart from a few dead taps (and the horrendous new UI) I had not experienced any problems with the KT for several weeks now.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #326
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post

Late last night, after reading for about an hour, I tapped to turn the page. Instead it underlined an empty space at the end of a line and brought up the dictionary/ facebook menu. After that, the touch capability was gone. I could not X out of the menu, so I used the home button to bookmark my page and return home. I still could not select anything, so I shut down my KT, waited a bit, then started it up again. Worked perfectly for the rest of my session.
I saw that one myself recently. Thought it was something I had done, but easily corrected. Only seen it once.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #327
CNL
CNL began at the beginning.

Device: KT2, libra H2O
Quote:

I have seen this quite a few times now. It seems to happen when tapping in the right bottom corner of the page, and it selects the last word on the page.
Each time, I press home and then reboot because the touch sensor stops working.
I just don't tap at the bottom of the page anymore, and it doesn't happen.
CNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #328
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesho View Post
I've just bought new Kobo Touch. After the first update - the "FEATURED" CRAP appeared on my Home Screen!
I decide to write the following to the Marketing Guys from Kobo - our user's ULTIMATUM:
1. I HATE somebody to "recommend" me what I have to buy! Period!
2. What I hate MORE is to display that CRAP on my home screen!
3. What I hate EVEN MORE is to pretend to do it for my own good, but with MY MONEY!
4. If some stupid, aggressive marketing junkie think that in such a way will FORCE ME TO BUY any piece of "Featured" CRAP - he's very badly mistaken!
5. DO NOT LOSE YOUR ONLY ADVANTAGE over the other eReaders - the absolute lack of aggressive marketing on eBooks!

You know why?
Because if we, yours (still loyal?) customer wanted the crap above - we'd buy iPad...
1. 2. 3. 4. 5 .= SHORTLIST!

And really how often do you take time to actually look at your home screen? I only usually look at it once a day if I use "Sleep Mode", and that once or twice is only for the second it takes me to press the cover on my book.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:18 PM   #329
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNL View Post
I have seen this quite a few times now. It seems to happen when tapping in the right bottom corner of the page, and it selects the last word on the page.
Each time, I press home and then reboot because the touch sensor stops working.
I just don't tap at the bottom of the page anymore, and it doesn't happen.
It was about an inch from the bottom. Right where I always tap.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:09 AM   #330
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
It was about an inch from the bottom. Right where I always tap.
The middle seems to get the best response.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote