Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #301
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The font that's embedded. I don't recall which font was used. Open the ePub and have a look at the fonts.
JSWolf,
I still have the epub you made and it still does not look right, even using the "default document font" option now available on the KT. Some of the characters are displayed as "?", and if I manually switch to Char SIL, then everything looks OK.

François

Last edited by frankieGom; 01-12-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: typos
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #302
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
I still have the epub you made and it still does not look right, even using the "default document font" option now available on the KT.
I wonder what that default font actually does; I installed some font in the Kobo-folder that afterwards falsely showed up as the default font in the menu (Reading: "Default Font" as first entry but letters displayed in the new font) - and it got used for some system-text like in the dictionary. From that I would conclude, that the default font is a system font for system use, that should be a fixed type; not that it would activate the font set within the book-file...
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #303
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by imsoawesome View Post
I'm noticing a bug when selecting items on menus in that selected items are non responsive until a second click is made.

For instance I clicked on a read book by mistake and it reopened it and thus marked itself partially read. When I click to select ' mark as finished' the line will go black as if it has been selected but it hangs there unmoving not doing anything. It will not complete the action until I click and select something else.

The first few times I did this resulted in me thinking I had not clicked properly and reclicking the same link which wound up both activating my original selection and then selecting tue book under the menu with my second click, causing me to have to remark it as finished again. Cyclically hilarious but frustrating to deal with several times in a row..
This bug is highly annoying!
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:02 AM   #304
voom
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

I can't reproduce the above bug, I tried several times, seems it does not affect all devices...
Old 01-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #305
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Removed because....I realized that I do not care.

Last edited by volpo; 01-14-2012 at 09:12 AM. Reason: The angrier I get, the stupider I sound.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #306
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieGom View Post
JSWolf,
I still have the epub you made and it still does not look right, even using the "default document font" option now available on the KT. Some of the characters are displayed as "?", and if I manually switch to Char SIL, then everything looks OK.

François
Looks like the font embedding bug is still there. Kobo has been told of this. They've read it on MR. Yet they refuse to fix it. All I can say is glad I didn't buy one. This bug is very significant and needs to be fixed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #307
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Embed a font. Put the font-family line to activate it in the body CSS style and if it displays, it's fixed. If not, it's broken still. This is where you'll find most eBooks hat have embedded fonts put the font-family to activate the main font.
I have noticed that when declaring fonts (@Font-Face, usage) in a CSS file in an ePub, the Kobo Touch seems to be case sensitive, in that either the file path and name has to be in the same case as on the device, or the font name casing has to match what is in the font file.

While the font name casing issue is definite, I'm not so sure about the file path casing issue (I was changing too many things at once).
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:18 PM   #308
Cottser
Enthusiast
Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

I don't mind the new home screen at all. However, I do mind this:

This will only work if you have recommendations on your Kobo Touch.

Open your library, and search for the letter "A". You should see, among the books in your actual library, recommendations. With "Buy now" buttons. Now that is advertising.
Cottser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:28 AM   #309
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pene View Post
I bought the Kobo touch in Dec 2011, having owned the earlier version of Kobo for a year. I cannot see the books I load on through calibre on the touch. I downloaded the latest calibre. I should correct this I can see 5 books I loaded on the KT, but as soon I attempt any others, they cannot be seen on the device. I tried ADE, I can see the books I placed in the library on the Computer, when I click on the kobo within the ADE, it does not show the epubs either. I used calibre no problem on the older kobo. I called kobo help and they had me do a factory reset- no luck. Is there anything anyone can suggest I appreciate the help. Pene
Did you run through the registration process after factory reset? It is now required step, or you cannot see any sideloaded books.

You may fake the registration if you want to, search this forum.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #310
voom

Quote:
This will only work if you have recommendations on your Kobo Touch.

Open your library, and search for the letter "A". You should see, among the books in your actual library, recommendations. With "Buy now" buttons. Now that is advertising.
It was mentioned, that one could remove recommendations or delete the list of current r. via desktop or website, but I can't figure out how...

The r. on the homescreen don't bother me as I can switch to shortlist, but what you describe here is REALLY annoying; esp. since the library-search is already lacking kategories, tags and the like; having recommendations show up in the results limits the precision and usefulness of the search even more...
Old 01-15-2012, 12:44 PM   #311
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pene View Post
I did the complete registration again after the factory reset. Then I was able to use calibre and load on one book, I tried 3 other separately after the first one was successful and they do not appear in the library. Yes when I checked on the device before I ejected it, they showed there with a green checkmark. I have loaded these same other books on the older Kobo with no issue. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks Pene
Are you able to drag and drop with Windows explorer?
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #312
dioioib
Enthusiast
dioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura aboutdioioib has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Arc, Kobo Touch N905B
I am having issues with the side loading of epubs / pdf's and content processing on the internal memory with Firmware 1.9.16. So far I have done 3 factory resets on my device the third being the most successful.

With reset 1 & 2 my Kobo Touch Model: N905 would freeze while content processing. First froze at 32% and the second froze at at 92%.
When I could access the device I was able to open a book then the device would reset.
I had issues with the Home screen showing old content then changing to the new content. Inspection of the KoboeReader.sql file showed several duplicate entries for the same book.

On the third reset I did a little more digging. I noticed that Mac OS was creating spotlight search directories on my sd card and internal memory in hidden folders like .Spotlight-V100 so I deleted those, as well as other hidden directories .Trash. I renamed some files and removed brackets such as "(" and ")".

After I made these two changes the device was able to load my content past the 92% mark. However, the processed content does not display images for may of the books processed.

Additionally, the behaviour of the device is erratic. Sometimes the screen freezes, sometimes the device will not turn back on, sometimes it will not turn off. Sometimes my carousel settings are reset, and other settings such as wifi passwords and networks, and favourites lists.

When selecting favorites at times the double click problem will rear its head and other times it will not. When it doesn't double click the favourite it will select the book but when you turn to the next screen of books and return to the aforementioned page your selections are not displayed. However, the data is saved in your favourite list and displays in the carousel.

The device seams to loose battery power very quickly. Additionally, it seams to function better while its plugged in.

Needless to say I am really looking towards the next firmware version as I really cannot use the device effectively right now.
dioioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #313
imsoawesome
Enthusiast
imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.imsoawesome is no ebook tyro.

Maybe bug?

I sideloaded a few epubs which I had added covers to on Calibre, then reconverted to epub and resaved and added to my Kobo library. I have done this process in the past to get covers on all of my 600 books but for some reason these recent 10 will just not display covers when I add them to the kobo. I get the original default page/cover or the first page of text.

It is only happening to these few books which I have added since the update, and never happened before the update.

But these covers are present and accounted for when the epubs are in calibre.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Reverting back to .14 when get home from work tonight to see if it helps.
imsoawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #314
voom

I have .16 and sideloaded books via USB-D&D and Calibre and download from webbrowser - Covers generally show like they should...
Old 01-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #315
Thra11
Thra11 began at the beginning.

Device: none
bug selecting words with diacritics

Firstly, I find the 'translate' function very handy; an excellent feature! However, I have discovered a bug when selecting words containing accented characters. It appears that it doesn't regard the accented characters as being ordinary characters/part of the word. For example, long press on the word, "péché", will select either just the p, one of the acute accented ees, or 'ch', as though it were 4 separate words. The user then has to drag the cursor-thingies to get the whole word selected. I can confirm that the bug affects grave, acute, circumflex, diaeresis, cedilla. I assume it affects all diacritics.

Hopefully a simple enough bug to fix. Just wondering, is there a proper kobo bug tracker somewhere?
Thra11 is offline   Reply With Quote