Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #76
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisridd View Post
What is an "inner holder"?

I'm hoping it is something like the clip-in system that Sony use to attach the T1 to their case...
I thought he meant a holder within the case for the stylus.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #77
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I thought he meant a holder within the case for the stylus.
Yes, that would make sense given an earlier question. Darn. I'd like to see a slimline case.
chrisridd is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2011, 05:38 PM   #78
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
urrrrrrrrrr. seems like cases will take a while. Any update on a simple nice and plain looking zip sleeve? Ones for the Kindle are almost right like people have tried but one for the Sony would be nicer.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #79
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
In UK , Staples have selection of pad folders, sacs etc.. that will do in a pinch - and sometimes they're on their clearance table at Very Low prices.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:42 PM   #80
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by democrite View Post
urrrrrrrrrr. seems like cases will take a while. Any update on a simple nice and plain looking zip sleeve? Ones for the Kindle are almost right like people have tried but one for the Sony would be nicer.
Might be worth a look

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_n...letAccessories
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2011, 03:36 AM   #81
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
This looks absolutely excellent !

Only in Oz, or could it be bought from anywhere?

Just remembered - one of my lad's housemates is an Ozman, I must investigate his future travel plans !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 04:55 AM   #82
Garry Lancaster
Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Garry Lancaster writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Sony PRS-650; TrekStor Pyrus Mini
Quote:
I would be very wary of buying any case from UltimateAddOns unless you know exactly what you're getting. I was interested in their leather sleeve "custom made for your Sony PRS 350" but according to their sales team its dimensions are 19cm x 13cm (the PRS-350 is less than 14.5cm x 10.5cm).

I suspect they just have a one-size-fits-all case of each type, and whenever a new device comes out they create a new product number and add the description "custom made for your Acme Flurblewotsit".
Garry Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #83
Priscillux
Priscillux began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Skip_intro, Ripplinger, Sabredog, thanks for your replies.

I felt reassured by what you said about the magnets:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_intro View Post
I doubt that the magnet on the clasp is strong enough to mess with the equipment. The internal storage isn't magnetic media like floppies or cassette tapes and as so won't be affected by a magnetic field.
Quote:
I'm guessing they did something similar to the T1s and the magnets are probably in the reader. But in either case, the magnets won't harm the readers.
Quote:
There has been no issues at all and I have used my Kobo with this cover for 18 months.

The Gecko covers would be no different in this regard
and was about the order the Navitech napa leather case when I saw this post by Lorif:
Quote:
I don't know how magnetic clasps effect readers, but I have had bank/creidt cards wiped by a magnetic clasp on a purse ; I always get purses with other closures now.
Now, I don't know what to do. I'm very fond of my PRS-T1 (it's also my first ereader), so I wouldn't want to put it in a case that might shorten its life. On the other hand, all book-style cases I've seen (and a few sleeves as well) use magnetic clasps. Any thoughts please?
Priscillux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #84
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscillux View Post
Now, I don't know what to do. I'm very fond of my PRS-T1 (it's also my first ereader), so I wouldn't want to put it in a case that might shorten its life. On the other hand, all book-style cases I've seen (and a few sleeves as well) use magnetic clasps. Any thoughts please?
Do the test with a small fingernail file on your T1 in the corners and see if the magnets are in the reader or not. In the cases for the x50 readers, the covers do not have any magnets in them at all. There's only a thin metal strip in the covers that pull towards the magnets that are already located within the reader.

The strip on a credit card, possibly your city's bus pass, etc., is different altogether from your reader and yes, those can be damaged by magnets. I've been tempted a few times to put my bus pass inside the flap of the reader but didn't know if the magnet would cause any damage to it and didn't risk it. I have had it next to the reader though without any problems. The magnetic clasps on some purses can be quite strong, much stronger than what is on the reader, and I can see those easily damaging a magnetic strip on a credit card.

But your reader will not be damaged by magnets at all. And if like the x50 readers the magnets are built inside the reader, you've got the magnets already anyway, so worrying about a case is pointless.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:29 PM   #85
Priscillux
Priscillux began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Do the test with a small fingernail file on your T1 in the corners and see if the magnets are in the reader or not. In the cases for the x50 readers, the covers do not have any magnets in them at all. There's only a thin metal strip in the covers that pull towards the magnets that are already located within the reader.
Hi Ripplinger, done the test (dunno why I didn't do it first time you mentioned it ), and I can definitely feel a pull on the fingernail file. So I can now go ahead and order my preferred case
Priscillux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #86
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Hmm. Well, it's not been a problem here. I've had three Nook covers with pockets, and I've got an Oberon on my Sony (pocket, NO wool) and no trouble with any screen.

I think with the type of cover that Gecko is suggesting, where the reader slips into a pocket of its own with cutouts for switches/ports etc... there won't be an issue. For one thing, the thickness of the leather will tend to keep the front cover and pockets, if any, from touching the screen.
That sounds quite similar to thecase that came with my Cool-ER (my first e-reader):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/COOL-ER-eRea...1022708&sr=8-5

For me, this is near-perfection for a e-reader cover: 1) it’s leather, so really tough, and just looks better as it ages; 2) the front cover is quite rigid, and certainly would protect against most knocks; 3) it bends right back (I don’t really mind whether it’s book or easel style, but I want to be able to fold the cover in two; 4) it covers all the bezel, so only the buttons and the screen are visible, and there’s no reflection; 5) it’s more secure than elastic straps or the form-fitting design of the Sony case (really tight-fitting, and needs a good push from underneath to move ithe device out of the case); and 6) it has a clasp.

Something similar to this would, IMO, be ideal for the Sony - there’s enough room in the soft hinge bit above the device to take the stylus if an elastic band was provided for it, and probably would fit a thin light as well. The only thing that would make this total perfection for me would be to have a transparent screen filling in the window portion that would protect the screen, but still allow the touch functions (it would need to be thinner plastic than the M-Edge (which as I found out, doesn’t allow handwriting through it) but still be tough enough not to tear when a stylus moves across it.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:00 PM   #87
LuvReadin
Addict
LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuvReadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
It's a really nice looking case its just a pity it doesn't have a light, I really think a light is essential.

I've just found this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Navitech-Gen...sr=1-1-catcorr

Oddly, it doesn't show up on their own website, and I've tried all 3 Kindle categories.
LuvReadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:04 PM   #88
GiulioP
GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GiulioP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lxuke View Post
I have the Navitech napa leather one.
is there space inside to put the stylus pen?
GiulioP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:20 AM   #89
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

I'm with the people who like the reader bare when reading. So something like a zip sleeve (for only carrying) works. I looked around a bit and the m-edge latitude jacket is listed as made for the newer Kindles, Kobo Touch, and Sony T1. It might not be an exact fit but maybe close enough. The local Staples had one so I might bring in my reader and see how it'll do.

http://www.medgestore.com/products/k...p?device=prst1

The T1 is the smallest of those readers so would fit worse in any case labeled for all of them. But it might do. Other cases for the newer Kindle:

Belkin Porfolio Sleeve

Belkin Grip Sleeve

http://www.belkin.com/IWCatSectionVi...tion_Id=208808

Marware jurni Amazon Kindle Cover

http://www.marware.com/jurni-amazon-kindle-cover

The Marware seems not available yet and the Belkins who knows if any store has 'em to try. And there are probably others by lesser known companies.
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:24 AM   #90
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvReadin View Post
I've just found this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Navitech-Gen...sr=1-1-catcorr

Oddly, it doesn't show up on their own website, and I've tried all 3 Kindle categories.
Try browsing Kindle 4 (not Touch) instead: http://www.navi-tech.co.uk/amazon-ki...-4-accessories
chrisridd is online now   Reply With Quote