Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #346
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
I don't use an sdcard, but sideload most of my free books via Calibre/USB or via Browser. I believe I will easily never fill up the internal memory as I keep only a selection of books to be read, books in reading and some stuff for looking things up on the device. Everything else I archive on the PC and keep a small selection available via Browser in my Dropbox or on my Webserver so load as needed...

This way I don't need to worry about performance or the drawbacks of the current library and search-handling...

This kind of resembles my handling of printed books as well, I used to collect books and had a "wall full" of them - until I needed to move a few times and now I have reduced my library to about 100 essential Books, filling no more than 2 Boxes when moving. Anything I will not read again or would like to keep for looking something up I don't need to keep any more.
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #347
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
I'm the same as voom. Any books I sideload are through Calibre or ADE and take the same approach to storage of books on my Touch. I don't notice the problems that others mention with the exception of the once-in-a-blue-moon dead tap.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #348
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'm side loading (exclusively) and don't use an SD card. I get a lot of dead taps and slow/unresponsive menus. I haven't seen a double page turn in a long time.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:52 PM   #349
Gaffer
Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Gaffer is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

I haven't used Calibre - I sideload books I've downloaded by simply dragging and dropping them on my Windows desktop. I'm another who only keeps a hundred books or so on my Kobo. When I first got it, I read about the problems others were having with SD cards, so steered clear. Now, I don't think I'd want a huge number on my reader anyway. I can archive them elsewhere and get better performance with fewer complications.

Last edited by Gaffer; 01-31-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Forgot to add the bit about the SD card.
Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #350
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'm side loading (exclusively) and don't use an SD card. I get a lot of dead taps and slow/unresponsive menus. I haven't seen a double page turn in a long time.
Have you considered doing a reboot as described by 'GoingDown' ?

Do you load eBooks using Calibre as described in the Sticky ?

I recommend it as I now have a well behaved Kobo Touch !
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #351
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
Have you considered doing a reboot as described by 'GoingDown' ? ...
I've rebooted multiple times. I've rest a couple of times. I haven't done a factory reset. I'm thinking about it.
Quote:
... Do you load eBooks using Calibre as described in the Sticky ?
I do use Calibre for side loading (and deleting). I'm not sure what in the sticky you are referring to.
Quote:
... I recommend it as I now have a well behaved Kobo Touch !
Could you report back in week as to whether you are or aren't having problems?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:11 AM   #352
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Quote:
I've rebooted multiple times. I've rest a couple of times. I haven't done a factory reset. I'm thinking about it.

I do use Calibre for side loading (and deleting). I'm not sure what in the sticky you are referring to.

Could you report back in week as to whether you are or aren't having problems?

Thanks.
I meant a factory reset, as described by 'GoingDown', my booboo

3) USING THE DEVICE WITH CALIBRE

Make sure the Kobo Reader is plugged in. Have Calibre open and make sure you can see the 'Kobo Reader' icon on your desktop.

Select a book from your list. If it is not in epub, convert it using the 'convert' button.

Right-click on the file name. Choose 'open containing folder.' Drag the epub file onto the Kobo Reader icon on the desktop.

"Could you report back in week as to whether you are or aren't having problems?"

Good thinking 99, will do, I'm very new at this and probably not qualified to give helpful advice to others, but that doesn't stop me
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #353
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post
3) USING THE DEVICE WITH CALIBRE

Make sure the Kobo Reader is plugged in. Have Calibre open and make sure you can see the 'Kobo Reader' icon on your desktop.

Select a book from your list. If it is not in epub, convert it using the 'convert' button.

Right-click on the file name. Choose 'open containing folder.' Drag the epub file onto the Kobo Reader icon on the desktop.

I don't think this will work, but I'll try it...
Quote:
I do not have a "Kobo Reader" icon on my desktop. I have a "Kobo" icon, that, when clicked, brings up the Kobo Desktop App.
Quote:
When I drag and drop the file, the app Kobo Desktop app pops up, all white, and I get a Windows message saying something like "This program has stopped responding..."

You also forgot the step about gracefully disconnecting the Kobo Touch.

When I use Calibre to side load, I do it all from Calibre. I click the "Send to device" button, the "Device" down arrow button, and "Remove books" down arrow button.

I'm not having a problem with Calibre. (unless its interaction with the Kobo Touch is causing the dead taps, ...)
Old 02-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #354
red_elk
red_elk began at the beginning.

Switched back to 1.9.9, through reset to factory default.
- Page turning and menu displaying about twice faster
- Tapping "home" now bookmarks page correctly (didn't work properly on my device with 1.9.16)
- No "double page turning" bug so far
- No advertising on home screen

Something is very wrong with a few latest FW releases
red_elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #355
GoingDown
Zealot
GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.GoingDown is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_elk View Post
Switched back to 1.9.9, through reset to factory default.
- Page turning and menu displaying about twice faster
- Tapping "home" now bookmarks page correctly (didn't work properly on my device with 1.9.16)
- No "double page turning" bug so far
- No advertising on home screen
If you immediately upgrade to 1.9.16 after reset to factory defaults, you should not have listed bugs 1, 2 and 3. Advertising is still there though.
GoingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #356
ikarus9999
Connoisseur
ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ikarus9999 can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

If you install in addition to the 1.9.16 firmware the 'Tweaks' Plugin from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163997 you can hide the ad area. And you get collection support.
ikarus9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #357
red_elk
red_elk began at the beginning.

Thank's guys.
I'll try to do what you suggested.
red_elk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #358
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingDown View Post
If you immediately upgrade to 1.9.16 after reset to factory defaults, you should not have listed bugs 1, 2 and 3. Advertising is still there though.
I just did the factory reset (and let it re-upgrade), and I'm still having problems with it missing taps. I'm also still having problems with menu options not responding.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #359
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
Quote:
I just did the factory reset (and let it re-upgrade), and I'm still having problems with it missing taps. I'm also still having problems with menu options not responding.
Are you using a mSD card?
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #360
John F
Grand Sorcerer

No, I am not using a Micro SD card. I am using side loaded epubs.