Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-02-2018, 03:41 PM   #106
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
What are his really good books? I love Asimov and Clarke, but Heinlein is one of the Big Three that I just could never get into.

I've read Tunnel in the Sky, The Man Who Sold the Moon and Orphans of the Sky. They were okay. But nothing outstanding to me.

I've heard Stranger in a Strange Land, Starship Troopers, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and maybe Door Into Summer are better places to start.

I've researched the hell out of RAH and his books. Just haven't become a fan yet.
Perhaps I'm prejudiced since I read RAH's juvenile as a juvenile but my favourites are:

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (who couldn't love Mycroft?)
The Door into Summer
Have Space Suit, Will Travel (the Mother Thing, 'nuff said)
Double Star
The Rolling Stones
The Star Beast
Farmer in the Sky
Time For the Stars
Podkayne of Mars (without Heninlein's original ending, please and thank you)
Red Planet
Between Planets
Tunnel in the Sky
Citizen of the Galaxy
The Puppet Masters (with or without the excisions replaced)
Job: A Comedy of Justice
Stranger in a Strange Land
Starship Troopers
Waldo and Magic, Inc. (two novellas)

Several collections

Revolt in 2100
The Unpleasant Profession of Johnathan Hoag
The Green Hills of Earth
The Man who Sold the Moon
Expanded Universe Volumes 1 and 2

—All You Zombies—

I've read pretty much everything he wrote and have his autograph on several books (I literally bled for those autographs).

At times, I could wish the library in Holly Lisle and Ted Nolan's Hell on High could actually exist--The Library of Lost Books. Want James Schmitz sequel to The Witches of Karres? Find it there. Want Robert Heinlein's The Stone Pillow? It's there as well. Want to drown in the ultimate SF slush pile? Shudder... NO!!!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 03:59 PM   #107
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think "Stranger in a Strange Land" was a really silly book. I'd always liked Heinlein a lot till I read that one. As I recall I had recently read "Time Enough for Love" and that made me decide to re-read a bunch of his books. Then shortly afterward "Stranger In a Strange Land" was published and I read it and I was done with Heinlein for a few years.

I re-read it a few years ago as part of a discussion group, something I rarely do, and on second reading it was even worse. Of course most Heinlein fans think it's his best and that discussion got a bit heated, but I survived to lick my wounds.

I don't think that was really science fiction. In a lot of ways it was since it included some SF elements, but I think he was just putting his sexual fantasies on paper and I think that was the focus of that book. By the time he wrote "Friday" there wasn't much else but sexual fantasy.

This isn't all bad, I guess. The guy probably enjoyed himself.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2018, 05:08 PM   #108
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I think "Stranger in a Strange Land" was a really silly book. I'd always liked Heinlein a lot till I read that one. As I recall I had recently read "Time Enough for Love" and that made me decide to re-read a bunch of his books. Then shortly afterward "Stranger In a Strange Land" was published and I read it and I was done with Heinlein for a few years.

I re-read it a few years ago as part of a discussion group, something I rarely do, and on second reading it was even worse. Of course most Heinlein fans think it's his best and that discussion got a bit heated, but I survived to lick my wounds.

I don't think that was really science fiction. In a lot of ways it was since it included some SF elements, but I think he was just putting his sexual fantasies on paper and I think that was the focus of that book. By the time he wrote "Friday" there wasn't much else but sexual fantasy.

This isn't all bad, I guess. The guy probably enjoyed himself.

Barry
Stranger was published 12 years before Time Enough For Love...Are you sure you don't have the order reversed?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #109
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Stranger was published 12 years before Time Enough For Love...Are you sure you don't have the order reversed?

Shari
It could be he was talking about the 1991 reissue of Stranger that was uncut.

See? I know a lot about Heinlein though I haven't read many of his books.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:28 PM   #110
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Perhaps I'm prejudiced since I read RAH's juvenile as a juvenile but my favourites are:

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (who couldn't love Mycroft?)
The Door into Summer
Have Space Suit, Will Travel (the Mother Thing, 'nuff said)
Double Star
The Rolling Stones
The Star Beast
Farmer in the Sky
Time For the Stars
Podkayne of Mars (without Heninlein's original ending, please and thank you)
Red Planet
Between Planets
Tunnel in the Sky
Citizen of the Galaxy
The Puppet Masters (with or without the excisions replaced)
Job: A Comedy of Justice
Stranger in a Strange Land
Starship Troopers
Waldo and Magic, Inc. (two novellas)

Several collections

Revolt in 2100
The Unpleasant Profession of Johnathan Hoag
The Green Hills of Earth
The Man who Sold the Moon
Expanded Universe Volumes 1 and 2

—All You Zombies—

I've read pretty much everything he wrote and have his autograph on several books (I literally bled for those autographs).

At times, I could wish the library in Holly Lisle and Ted Nolan's Hell on High could actually exist--The Library of Lost Books. Want James Schmitz sequel to The Witches of Karres? Find it there. Want Robert Heinlein's The Stone Pillow? It's there as well. Want to drown in the ultimate SF slush pile? Shudder... NO!!!
I had a neighbor in... junior high(?) that read through all the Heinlein juveniles. He would show them to me at the bus stop. I distinctly remember him showing me The Rolling Stones and Have Spacesuit, Will Travel.
Advert
Old 01-02-2018, 08:34 PM   #111
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
What are his really good books? I love Asimov and Clarke, but Heinlein is one of the Big Three that I just could never get into.
I feel the same. Read a couple of his books and stories years ago and was like meh. Left me pretty cold. Stranger in a Strange Land is sitting somewhere in my enormous TBR pile and I hope I'll get around to it eventually... sometime in the hazy future...

The same with Steven Erikson and Joe Abercrombie, to name but two. I love fantasy doorstoppers and the stories that are not clean-cut good-vs-evil, but those two writers just left me cold, much like Heinlein.

Guess there's just no pleasing everyone, no matter how famous one is.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:54 PM   #112
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
I just looked and so it was. I don't know what happened. That's how I remember it.

Barry (easily confused)
Old 01-02-2018, 11:01 PM   #113
barryem
Wizard

I think Asimov and Clarke were real hard science fiction writers and Heinlein sometimes was. He was more freely imaginative and sometimes that went too far. Except for that reread of "Stranger in a Strange Land" a few years ago I don't think I've read any of his books for 20 or 30 years. I have reread some of Clarke's and Asimov's in recent years. I've read "The City and the Stars" every 4 of 5 years since it was written.

Barry
Old 01-02-2018, 11:52 PM   #114
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I've read "The City and the Stars" every 4 of 5 years since it was written.

Barry
Yep, "The City and the Stars" has always been in my all-time top ten. I read it for the first time when I was ten years old or so (in Estonian, but the translation was excellent) and several times since then.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:56 PM   #115
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
I just looked and so it was. I don't know what happened. That's how I remember it.

Barry (easily confused)
You probably read the uncut version that his widow published after his death.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:14 AM   #116
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
While we are meandering in the discussion of RAH, anyone else who was very unhappy with the re-release of Podkayne of Mars with Heinlein's original ending?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:13 AM   #117
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
While we are meandering in the discussion of RAH, anyone else who was very unhappy with the re-release of Podkayne of Mars with Heinlein's original ending?
I've not read it yet, so I can't say. In general though, I prefer going with a creator's original intentions. I also don't mind bummer endings.

Looks like most fans prefer the original ending. At least according to a Baen poll and subsequent editions (including the current Kindle version) sticking to it.