Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 09-10-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Can't get rid of readers' highlights & notes

Nothing works, I still see others' highlights, notes, etc. I have my settings for not displaying these on my Kindle Fire but it ain't workin'. In every book I read, I see the highlights and notes.
Any ideas?
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:49 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAHoy View Post
Nothing works, I still see others' highlights, notes, etc. I have my settings for not displaying these on my Kindle Fire but it ain't workin'. In every book I read, I see the highlights and notes.
Any ideas?
On your Kindle Fire or the e-ink Kindle?
"other's highlights" - from other devices or from other users?
Could you try to explain a bit more clearly?

And if on your Kindle Fire - you might get a better answer on the Kindle Fire forum.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
On your Kindle Fire or the e-ink Kindle?
"other's highlights" - from other devices or from other users?
Could you try to explain a bit more clearly?

And if on your Kindle Fire - you might get a better answer on the Kindle Fire forum.
This is on the Kindle Fire, and I am referring to highlights from people who have read the ebook I am reading. On their devices, not mine.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Restart the Fire? (moved to Kindle Fire forum.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:19 PM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
This is on the Kindle Fire, and I am referring to highlights from people who have read the ebook I am reading. On their devices, not mine.
How are you reading on their devices?
Where did you get these books?
Make sure X-ray is turned off on your fire.

Since you seem to be having a few minor issues and you are a new fire user, I recommend reading the manual. That sometimes helps.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2017, 12:54 PM   #6
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
How are you reading on their devices?
Where did you get these books?
Make sure X-ray is turned off on your fire.

Since you seem to be having a few minor issues and you are a new fire user, I recommend reading the manual. That sometimes helps.
Do you mean that I can't use the X-ray feature unless I also turn off highlights? I like the X-ray feature, when it is available, but don't want others' highlights. I have already read the manual and the problem remains.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:11 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Do you mean that I can't use the X-ray feature unless I also turn off highlights? I like the X-ray feature, when it is available, but don't want others' highlights. I have already read the manual and the problem remains.
My apologies then. Very few people do read the manual.
So now the question remains, where are you getting these books because I can't recall ever seeing someone else's highlights in an ebook.
Are you buying annotated versions of the classics?
Is it in all books or just a few?
Can you tell me the titles of some of these books?
Are they side loaded or purchased from Amazon?
I need these answers to help narrow down the problem.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #8
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
My apologies then. Very few people do read the manual.
So now the question remains, where are you getting these books because I can't recall ever seeing someone else's highlights in an ebook.
Popular highlights is a feature where you see passages that have been highlighted by many other readers; it can be turned off in settings, but the OP says he's done that and it's not working. It has nothing to do with x-ray.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Popular highlights is a feature where you see passages that have been highlighted by many other readers; it can be turned off in settings, but the OP says he's done that and it's not working. It has nothing to do with x-ray.
It appears he said he hadn't turned off highlights.
He might try that and leave X-ray on.

I am wondering if he got a defective kindle since he has had other problems too.
I will now recommend contacting Amazon.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #10
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
It appears he said he hadn't turned off highlights.
He might try that and leave X-ray on.
No, he said he HAD turned them off. See his first post:

Quote:
Any ideas?
Again, X-Ray has nothing to do with it; it was just an irrelevant distraction.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:50 PM   #11
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Perhaps turn that "others highlights" setting back on, and back off again, to make sure the setting is registering?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 03:26 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Are these books from Amazon?
If yes, then Deb and Issybird are correct.
Let me do a little more research on other books.
Back from my research.
If they are your side loaded books, Amazon does not acknowledge those highlights as their highlights.
Now I did find something on Amazon books. I clicked the menu in the book itself and went to book extras. There is an options feature there you might try.
Book extras is not available on the docs.

Last edited by Cinisajoy; 09-11-2017 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:40 AM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Perhaps turn that "others highlights" setting back on, and back off again, to make sure the setting is registering?
I would try this and restart the Fire if nothing else. If that doesn't work delete book and redownload.

I just tested my Fire and turning off popular highlights worked for me.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:43 AM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Are these books from Amazon?
If yes, then Deb and Issybird are correct.
Let me do a little more research on other books.
Back from my research.
If they are your side loaded books, Amazon does not acknowledge those highlights as their highlights.
Now I did find something on Amazon books. I clicked the menu in the book itself and went to book extras. There is an options feature there you might try.
Book extras is not available on the docs.
Sideloading books don't have popular highlights so no it can't be that. For the OP to be seeing the problem it's an Kindle book downloaded from the cloud.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:53 AM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Sideloading books don't have popular highlights so no it can't be that. For the OP to be seeing the problem it's an Kindle book downloaded from the cloud.

Sent from my XT1528
I know they don't have popular highlights. That doesn't mean the copy he is using hasn't been highlighted.

You are assuming he means popular highlights. I am assuming he means just plain highlights from who knows where.
He has another thread where he mentioned he couldn't find his books on the fire and they supposedly had .doc tags.
Until the OP chooses to answer whether they are Amazon or sideloaded, we will never know.