Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-23-2014, 06:35 AM   #1
nissaa7
nissaa7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Avoiding update to 5.6.1 on PW2

Hello, I have a newer PW 2 with the FW version 5.4.5.1 installed. I reupdated it after downgrading and jailbreaking. Now I have heard that the update 5.6.1 is very scary so i am trying to avoid it. I have had the kindle on airplane mode since then, but I would like to still use the WiFi.

So just wondering if this method explained by ricky1989 protects from the 5.6.1 upgrade...? Or should I use the BackdoorLock?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219986

Does anybody have experience with that yet? Thanks.
nissaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissaa7 View Post
Hello, I have a newer PW 2 with the FW version 5.4.5.1 installed. I reupdated it after downgrading and jailbreaking. Now I have heard that the update 5.6.1 is very scary so i am trying to avoid it. I have had the kindle on airplane mode since then, but I would like to still use the WiFi.

So just wondering if this method explained by ricky1989 protects from the 5.6.1 upgrade...? Or should I use the BackdoorLock?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219986

That is the 'OTA rename' with directions that suffer in the translation.
There is a better description on-site.

You may use either or both.

See the relationship here, in:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...81&postcount=6

Which, in the 'references' section has links to the better descriptions.

Yes, members here have experience with blocking OTA updates on the newer (2014) PW2.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2014, 08:04 AM   #3
nissaa7
nissaa7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Thanks! This helps a lot.
nissaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 09:46 AM   #4
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nissaa7 View Post
I use both of the methods mentioned by eschwartz and have had no problems while using wifi. (fingers crossed)
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote