Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
seanyyz
Connoisseur
seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seanyyz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Should we update a PW2? Is there any reason

My partner uses my Old PW2 now that I have moved on to ostensibly better kindles. I’m the gadget guy in the family. He is using the PW2. Is there any reason to update to the newer Paperwhite for a light kindle user?
seanyyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanyyz View Post
My partner uses my Old PW2 now that I have moved on to ostensibly better kindles. I’m the gadget guy in the family. He is using the PW2. Is there any reason to update to the newer Paperwhite for a light kindle user?
I don't see why, I use my PW2 pretty heavily, and it works great. If he is happy with the features and operation of the device, why go to the trouble and expense?
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:02 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
As above, if its working, don't fix it.
A PW2 is new enough to run even the most recent firmware release.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:20 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
He may perhaps want the ability to change the boldness of the fonts, or the wider range of sizes, so I'd certainly recommend updating the firmware.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:23 PM   #5
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
I have a pw2 and the new firmware is a nice improvement. It is still a great device.
mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
dublincheri
Zealot
dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dublincheri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, new Basic 2022
My husband is still happily using a PW1 and sees no reason to change. I offered him my Voyage when the new Oasis arrives next week but he claims that he doesn't notice very much difference!
dublincheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:44 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I don't see why, I use my PW2 pretty heavily, and it works great. If he is happy with the features and operation of the device, why go to the trouble and expense?
What expense? There is no expense. As for trouble, it's trivial.

Yes, it's worth updating the firmware to 5.8.11. You get an option to have more weight to the fonts and a better range of font sizes. It gives a better reading experience.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:45 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If we all thought like that, we'd never update the firmware. When you buy a Kindle, you buy it for what it can do at that time. But there's no reason it cannot do more when Amazon releases a new firmware with more features. How do you know that the OP's partner doesn't want the two biggest new features?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What expense? There is no expense. As for trouble, it's trivial.

Yes, it's worth updating the firmware to 5.8.11. You get an option to have more weight to the fonts and a better range of font sizes. It gives a better reading experience.
The OP meant upgrading to a newer Paperwhite, not updating to the newest firmware.

As for the first, if he's satisfied, no need. As for the second, sure.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:03 PM   #10
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Depends how good your eyesight is... After having been accustomed to higher resolution devices, trying to read on the PW2 (while testing the new firmware) really made it obvious how *bad* the low resolution is for text rendering. It looks out of focused to me, and makes me want to rush to the optometrist. (Caecilia and Bookerly are perfectly readable, if fuzzy around the edges. Something fancier like Baskerville looks just horrid.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:17 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The OP meant upgrading to a newer Paperwhite, not updating to the newest firmware.
In fairness, if you just look at the thread title, "Should we update a PW2?", it certainly sounds as if he's asking about a firmware update.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I read the title one way and the OP the other way.
Title question yes update the firmware.
Question in post: no need for a new device.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:44 PM   #13
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That is true today. But I wonder whether it will be true going forward.

The PW2 is a 6th generation kindle and the 9th generation is coming out next week. Eventually they may stop releasing updates as they already have for all of the older kindle models.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:18 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That is true today. But I wonder whether it will be true going forward.

The PW2 is a 6th generation kindle and the 9th generation is coming out next week. Eventually they may stop releasing updates as they already have for all of the older kindle models.
It appears from the outside, that they have consolidated all i.MX6 device support into a single build system.
So the only thing that makes supporting six (seven) devices difficult is the logistics of distribution.

It was a lot different in prior devices, when nearly every device used a different SoC.
In different development departments, using different build systems and different people.

True, this most recent one is dual core instead of single core, but the system is already written to run on one or more cores. And the SoC line is designed to be drop-in, interchangeable at the board layout level.
(If one can apply the term "drop-in" to a BGA mounted device. )
So I don't really expect that this new one will require any special support.

Last edited by knc1; 10-28-2017 at 09:21 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #15
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
For me, the issue is economic. The PW2 is paid for, there is no ongoing cost to keep on using it, and it will work with all current Kindle formats. And the OP can 'lend' a book to the new user quite easily. The time to upgrade to a new unit is when the device lacks a feature the user wants, or when technology passes it by.

Speculating on what the intended user MIGHT want makes no sense. Particularly so, when the OP says his significant other will likely be a light user. The OP has given us no information that the intended user is even aware of the sort of features that are possible with eReader devices.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote