Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 05-28-2019, 08:02 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I need a moderator's ruling please

I've recently started work on preparing The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall, intending eventually to upload it to the MobileRead Library.

She died in in 1943, so it meets the Death plus 70 requirement. But according to Wikipedia:

'The copyright protection for The Well of Loneliness expired in the European Union on 1 January 2014. Because of the URAA, copyright protection in the United States will continue until at least 2024.'

Does this mean that I should not upload it to the MobileRead Library, and if I do it will be removed?

Now that I've written the post the answer seems obvious, but I want to make sure.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:24 PM   #2
Mikou
Zealot
Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mikou ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Amazon Fire 10, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One
I'm not a moderator, but I was curious about the answer. On the MR posting guidelines for the ebook library, it says:
Quote:
EBooks uploaded to this site must be in the "life+70" public domain, or licensed under a compatible Creative Commons license. This means that the author (or translator) of the book must have died at least 70 years before the start of the current year. It is up to the individual to determine whether any particular eBook on MobileRead is legal to download in their country.
Based on that, it sounds like you are fine to post.
Mikou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2019, 12:16 AM   #3
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/C...red_copyrights
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
MR rules are based on European copyright (life+70), it doesn't matter what the US (or Australian) copyright is.

Moderator Notice
It is safe for you (as far as MR is concerned) to upload any work that falls under the life+70 rule. Just note that it must cover all creators of the work (author, illustrator, translator, annotator, etc.)
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:43 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks to you all. That wasn't the answer I expected, Jellby, and I'm really pleased to be enlightened.

It will take me a while to finish The Well of Loneliness, but I'll upload it as soon as I can.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2019, 03:16 PM   #6
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks to you all. That wasn't the answer I expected, Jellby, and I'm really pleased to be enlightened.
Same here.

I did a tracert on my PC and mobilread is hosted on hetzner.com. On their web page their phone number is +49 9831 505 0. I have no idea what country that it is but it ain't the USA.

Also, the notice on these pages says the death date must be before 1945; is that correct? That would be 74 years.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 10:23 PM   #7
Abzeronow
Connoisseur
Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Abzeronow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HE 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Also, the notice on these pages says the death date must be before 1945; is that correct? That would be 74 years.
That's an old notice. Death date has to be before 1949. Works by authors who died in 1948 just became allowed in Mobileread this year.
Abzeronow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:35 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I did a tracert on my PC and mobilread is hosted on hetzner.com. On their web page their phone number is +49 9831 505 0.
AFAIK, MobileRead is a Swiss company and mobileread.com is hosted by Hetzner, a German Internet hosting company (+49 is the country code for Germany).
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote