Old 12-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #61
casper
casper began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox 60
return

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchchili View Post
Thanks for your update Casper.
What do you means by the awkard controls?

The usb issues shounds strange. Perhaps it is only your unit since the issue is not much reported. Maby Onyx support can help you out with this one.

Had to return the unit, since i am on the road again (www.ctjansen.nl) and have no means of getting my problems solved on the road.
With akward controls I ment, it is slugish and slow, using the pen to 'click' on a link does not always work. I had to push many times before something happened. Perhaps i was just impatient since it is not a full browser. But via google I could go anywhere i wanted on the net...

so..i am back to
casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #62
Montebello
ebookreaderdiscounter.com
Montebello began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Had to return the unit, since i am on the road again (www.ctjansen.nl) and have no means of getting my problems solved on the road.
With akward controls I ment, it is slugish and slow, using the pen to 'click' on a link does not always work. I had to push many times before something happened. Perhaps i was just impatient since it is not a full browser. But via google I could go anywhere i wanted on the net...

so..i am back to
Hi Caspar it seems that you encoutered some problems with your Onyx Boox 60. Since I am working for Onyx Benelux as well as Onyx Germany I am glad to inform you that we have an European Service center in Germany for repairs:

Hotline Number
Germany
0700-46745832
Portugal
00800-34448378
Austria
0820-500785
Luxembourg
00800-34448378
France
0826-102740
Belgium
00800-34448378
UK
0870-2485492
Denmark
00800-34448378
Italy
848-694692
Sweden
00800-34448378
Spain
902-888413
Netherlands
0900-5050800

Also you can call our retail chain in the Netherlands, for which you can find the contact details on: http://www.ebookreaderdiscounter.com or http://www.ebookreaderstore.nl if you prefer Dutch
Montebello is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #63
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'm in an unfortunate position with this review. My device died a few days ago, so I'm going to have to work from memory and the notes I posted before. I've already contacted Onyx on this issue, and they believe they know the cause. They'll be sending me instructions on how to fix it.

General Impressions

The Boox is a tablet about the same height and weight as an original Kindle. On the upper left edge is a slot for the stylus. On the left edge is a switch to enable the Wifi. On the bottom edge is the volume buttons, power switch, USB, headphones, and SD card slot.

On the front of the Boox is the 6” touchscreen and below that is a circular button panel. At first glance it looks like there are 5 buttons: Next, Previous, Menu, Back, and OK (recessed in the center). The silver ring (which at first glance looks decorative) is actually a direction pad (up, down, left, right). I wish it was more obvious, but I'm glad it's there because it can be used to navigate the menus. This means you don't have to use the stylus and the Wacom screen won't be drawing power, which should extend the battery life.

I like the position of the buttons. Because of the balance of the device, I found I could comfortably hold it in one hand and keep my thumb next to the Next button. I also like the recessed OK button. It made the direction pad really easy to use. When I used it I had remarkably few mistaken button presses.

Navigation

First and foremost, it supports folders and it has several display options. You can show thumbnails, a list, or or details (title, last read, rating, etc). The thumbnail view isn't as good as it could be; the cover of a book isn't shown. You can sort the contents by name, file type, size, rating, and last read. You can also reverse a sort by switching from ascending to descending order.

One subtle detail that I liked was the tabs along the top of the screen while I'm navigating in the folders. The tabs show the parent folders of the current folder, and they are selectable.

Menu

It looks like somebody put some real thought into the menu design. In general, the menu has 4 or 5 icons on the left, and 4 along the bottom. The rest of the menu changes depending on which of the icons you select. Also, the icons on the left vary based on book type. For example, you can't sketch in Epub, so that option isn't shown. I found the names of the menu options to be self explanatory: annotations, font, font family*, encoding*, layout**, zooming**, and tools. The icons on the bottom of the menu are consistent across book type: rotate screen, turn screen refresh on/off, play music, and close book.

* only in FBReader
**only in PDFs and images

Wifi

I couldn't establish a connection with any of the networks I usually use. At this point it's not a big loss because the Boox doesn't have a full browser. You're limited to Google, Wikipedia, and Onyx. I would bet it's possible to search for a site in Google and navigate to it. I'm disappointed, though, because I was hoping to be able to download ebooks from the device.

General Ebook

Highlighting, bookmarks, and links work in all formats. There is an external menu for bookmarks and annotations. However, the search and dictionary functions never worked for me. I find this particularly puzzling because these features worked in the review over on MobRead. Also, and this is the biggie, the back button doesn't work at all. (It should act similar to the back button of a web browser.) I've already told Onyx, and the back button should be fixed in a coming firmware update.

Epub

The Boox supports Adobe DRMed Epub. I'm at something of a loss on how to describe the Epub abilities (other than it had 5 font sizes). Back when each device read a different format I could discuss in what way one is better than another. There were valid apples to oranges comparisons I could make. Now, Adobe DE is running on so many devices that it would be like comparing Red Delicious to Red Delicious. At the very least, I can say that its ability to display Epub is as good as the Cybook Opus.

FBReader

I like how Onyx added FBReader, but they haven't added all the features yet. Right now, the only options I have are the font size, bold, italics, and font choice. It doesn't have options like line and paragraph spacing, margins, and indentation. For the most part, I don't care. FBReader is quite usable in its current state.

PDFs

It's quite good, and in some ways it's better than Sony Touch Edition. But (and this is not a point against the Boox), it's still a 6” screen. A standard 8.5x11 PDF won't work very well on it.

The Boox shows 5 font levels (Onyx is going to change the menu labels). What it actually has is a zoom mode and a reflow mode. The zoom mode is impressive. Besides the expected zoom options (page size, fit to height, fit to width, and the fractional zoom from 75% to 400%), I can also use the stylus to select part of the image to zoom in on. While in the zoom mode I can also sketch on the PDF with the same options the image viewer.

The Boox can reflow a PDF at 4 different font sizes. It's very good, so good that I dug out some of my more complicated PDFs and gave it a stress test. The PDFs I used were technical papers with graphs, equations, and multiple columns. The text displayed fine, but the graphs and equations were dropped. I'm not entirely convinced that this is the fault of the Boox. When I tried to copy parts of the PDF on my PC, I was unable to select the graphs and equations. They do not appear to be in the PDF as text or as separate images. Rather, they appear to be part of a page image.

Internal links work, and it accepts the external TOC that you sometimes see with PDFs.

As I use the PDF viewer more I finally understood what I thought was a bug was in fact a design decision. User defined settings (font size, screen flash, etc) are not set on the device level. They're set for each ebook. Given the diverse range of formats (PDF, Epub, Mobipocket) this was the right choice. Even setting it by format would be bad because PDFs alone vary too much.

Images

When I had a chance, I compared the image abilities of the Opus and the Boox. I picked the Opus over my original Kindle because I had thought the Opus had 8 level gray scale. I'm wrong; it's actually four. The Boox has 8 level, so the fact that the images look better on it was a foregone conclusion. But it's worth noting that the Boox is noticeably faster at refreshing the screen. You would think that it's at a disadvantage it has more gray scale levels, and yet it's faster.

The Boox has surprisingly good sketching ability. I can draw on an image in 5 line thicknesses in black and _white_. I can also erase a sketch by simply touching part of it with the stylus while in the eraser mode. The lag between moving the stylus and the image changing looks to be that of a screen refresh. It doesn't refresh the image after the sketch is done; instead it changes a few pixels at a time as I draw. Very nice. The changes to an image are stored in a separate (.sketch) file.

I have to say that I'm impressed by the general quality of the image viewer. I think it's good enough that I can use it as a notepad. The only feature it needs is the ability to export a new image.

Pros
It has Adobe Epub, reflowable PDFs, (nearly complete) FBReader, and a good image viewer. I didn't get a chance to test the MP3 player. The touch screen is Wacom, which means it's actually behind the Eink screen instead of in front.

Cons
The touchscreen requires a special stylus. It only has a 4 day battery life. And it's rather expensive. I never did get the Wifi, search, or dictionary to work.
Hi Nate,

I appreciate the detailed review. In response to some details of your review, there has been a few software updates.

1. There were some fixes that now have increased battery life.
2. Wifi - Were you using an encrypted wifi connection? If so, did you put the passphrase or the hexadecimal password?
3. Browser - We will be coming out with full browser mode soon with a place where you can type in the web address. However currently, your intuition is correct, you can still go to any website you want currently by searching through google. You can also download anything such as an ebook and it will show up in the download folder of the SD Card selection on the main menu.
4. The dictionary and the back browser button have been fixed with the latest update.
5. Onyx Boox is 8 level gray scale. It is upgradeable to 16 levels in a later software update.
6. Currently it is rather expensive, but only in the sense that the price is matching Sony and the Kindle comparable eReaders. It is the goal of Onyx to be cheaper.

The keyword when it comes to Onyx Boox is flexible. It is based on the Linux operating system, which makes it extremely stable. In a way, it's like a mini computer in what you can make it do. The starting menu is just that, the "starting" menu. Onyx will be keeping some open source in which third parties can create their own applications to part of the "starting" menu.

Thanks again for the review. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to email me at MikeHu@onyx-international.com.

At Onyx, we are always open to suggestions to make our eReader the best it can be. You may go to our website at www.onyx-international.com to post any suggestions. Most of the forum is written in Chinese so if you're having trouble, do not hesitate to email me and I will pass the suggestion to our development team. Thanks again.

--
Mike Hu
US Sales Manager
mikehu@onyx-international.com
CES Expo Booth No: 12042

Last edited by MikeOnyx; 12-24-2009 at 08:42 AM.
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #64
Jelle71
Jelle71 began at the beginning.

Smile Manual Onyx Books 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
I have a picture of the back off showing the reset button. just take the pen out and then slide the plastic open

I have the manual in my other computer Ill get it in a little bit and post it.

It was on their site but they have changed their site (4th time in 4 months it feels like) and havent reposted it yet.

I really like the White leather cover. I havent seen the other one do you have apicture Nate?
Dulin's Books,
Would you please help me to find the manual.
I bought the Onyx Boox 60 and lo and behold: no manual.
I am new to this forum and was looking for your post but couldn't find it.
Thanks
Jelle71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:49 PM   #65
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOnyx View Post
2. Wifi - Were you using an encrypted wifi connection? If so, did you put the passphrase or the hexadecimal password?

4. The dictionary and the back browser button have been fixed with the latest update.
2, I tried it with several different networks. Two didn't have a network password, but they did have a log in screen. The Boox choked on the log in screen. The third has WEP security, and the Boox was unable to make a connection.

I've since heard from a couple people that they had no trouble with the Wifi, so the problem could be me.

4, I know. I reported the problems some time before I wrote the review.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #66
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelle71 View Post
Dulin's Books,
Would you please help me to find the manual.
I bought the Onyx Boox 60 and lo and behold: no manual.
I am new to this forum and was looking for your post but couldn't find it.
Thanks
Your Welcome I've attached the manual here.

You've also given me the opportunity to announce that the Boox 60 reader is available for ordering now on www.dulinsbooks.com. deliveries will begin in about a week.

I'm really happy to be adding this really very excellent device to my store.

-Charlie
Attached Files
File Type: pdf English Manual for Boox.pdf (2.41 MB, 880 views)

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 12-28-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:27 PM   #67
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

You've also given me the opportunity to announce that the Boox 60 reader is available for ordering now on www.dulinsbooks.com. deliveries will begin in about a week.

Thank you Dulin's Books for posting the manual. Also if you go to the the Onyx website: www.onyx-international.com, support, then download the latest firmware, the zip includes a manual in it.

Onyx is also very excited that Dulin's Books have decided to offer the Boox 60. We're looking forward to a great relationship.

--
Mike Hu
US Sales Manager
CES Expo booth No: 12042
Old 12-29-2009, 12:06 AM   #68
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
2, I tried it with several different networks. Two didn't have a network password, but they did have a log in screen. The Boox choked on the log in screen. The third has WEP security, and the Boox was unable to make a connection.

I've since heard from a couple people that they had no trouble with the Wifi, so the problem could be me.

4, I know. I reported the problems some time before I wrote the review.
Hi Nate,

Try updating to version 1.2. It has fixed some issues and now also allows Note Annotations. Just go to www.onyx-international.com, support, and then download it.

Directions to update. Unzip the file and put all contents in the root directory of an SD card. Insert the SD card into the Boox and restart holding down the on/off button and the OK button at the same time. Hold until it says updating on the bottom of the screen.

--
Mike Hu
US Sales Manager
Old 12-29-2009, 08:01 AM   #69
tovadet
tovadet began at the beginning.

Update 1.2

When I installed the update 1.2, I couldn't read my books anymore. When I changed it back to the 1.1 update I had no problems reading.
This is a problem especially with Epub books with DRM. How is it possible?

Does somebody have a solution?
tovadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:37 AM   #70
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Quote:

-Charlie
I particularly like the UK-Express option, pricey but it is nice to have for us non US people. How will you handle defects.

I like all the features of the Boox 60 bar the 6inch screen, there was a mention of larger devices on the onyx site a number of months ago, any sign of that?
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:02 AM   #71
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
tovadet- ADE sees each new firmaware as a new device. You have to re-authorize teh device with ADE.

They really need to fix this....

Jack- Its the lowest price guaranteed shipping I could find and unfortunately prices will probably rise next year(next week!)

For defects we will replace the unit. You would have to pay to ship it back but we would pay to return the new unit to you.

The 6 inch screen really does a good job of handling most everything- even technical PDFs. The PDF viewer in the Onyx is exceptional, zoom and reflow, the selection zoom. I personally think its at least the equal of Foxit's.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:56 PM   #72
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovadet View Post
When I installed the update 1.2, I couldn't read my books anymore. When I changed it back to the 1.1 update I had no problems reading.
This is a problem especially with Epub books with DRM. How is it possible?

Does somebody have a solution?
Hi,

Unfortunately, some ebooks have been available to be opened due to the update if the books were on the device during he update. I recommend you backup your ebooks and reformat the Boox. Then recopy the ebooks back onto the eReader.

Hopefully, the note annotations makes up for it. I find myself at times sitting there for a long time just drawing random things on the Boox.

Also, if the pen seems to be off, especially around the edges, be sure to calibrate it under Menu.

--
Mike Hu
US Sales Manager
Old 12-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #73
Jelle71

Thanks!

Quote:

-Charlie
Thanks Dulin's Books!
This will make thinks a lot easier for me!
Old 12-29-2009, 04:03 PM   #74
Jelle71

Question Question about the Locale settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOnyx View Post
Hi,

Unfortunately, some ebooks have been available to be opened due to the update if the books were on the device during he update. I recommend you backup your ebooks and reformat the Boox. Then recopy the ebooks back onto the eReader.

Hopefully, the note annotations makes up for it. I find myself at times sitting there for a long time just drawing random things on the Boox.

Also, if the pen seems to be off, especially around the edges, be sure to calibrate it under Menu.

--
Mike Hu
US Sales Manager
Hi Mike,
A little question off topic:
Under Locale I selected the language "Netherlands" (Dutch) but the text stayed in English. Am I doing something wrong? thanx
Old 12-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #75
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpn Jack Flash View Post
I particularly like the UK-Express option, pricey but it is nice to have for us non US people. How will you handle defects.

I like all the features of the Boox 60 bar the 6inch screen, there was a mention of larger devices on the onyx site a number of months ago, any sign of that?

Onyx is planning to release many new versions of the Boox including a 10" and a 8" within the first or second quarters of 2010.

Onyx is also coming out with a 5" version with features closer to the popular Sony 600 and the Kindle to compete with them except with a lower price.

--
Mike Hu
US Sales Manager

Tags
boox, onyx