Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-27-2016, 05:31 PM   #76
Raptwithal
Connoisseur
Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle now; changing soon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I think you mean 'front lighting'.
Yep! Thanks for the correction.
Raptwithal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #77
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by newkindlefun View Post
I don't know why they chose different finishes for different colors. Merlot doesn't seem to look suede-ish.
Because some colors look better in different fabrics.
And a purple satin will look wildly different from a purple suede.
So also rich and silky fabric for an elegant look.
Suede, denim and corduroy for a rugged look.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2016, 05:34 PM   #78
Raptwithal
Connoisseur
Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Raptwithal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle now; changing soon...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
It should be basically identical to the Voyage, which means it will be better than the PW3. I've held them both, and honestly, the Voyage is sharper because the layer for the lighting on the Voyage doesn't wind up obscuring the screen as much (it's almost like the PW3 has a sort of "watery" look to it).
Thanks for this explanation! Good to know.
Raptwithal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:36 PM   #79
newkindlefun
Connoisseur
newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.newkindlefun is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen (2015)
I suppose that could be it. Though I've bought various leather covers in browns, reds, purples, greens... I haven't noticed anything looking bad, in that I'd choose a different finish.
newkindlefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:53 PM   #80
JulyB
JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JulyB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kindle Oasis
No, the Merlot cover is not in suede, but a very solid leather with a pleasant texture. The colour is dappled, so it is not a solid red but has shades of darker burgundy incorporated. I think you would have to use something quite sharp to scratch it. The Amazon logo is not a darker colour, but it is deeply embossed, so it looks a little darker than the overall finish. It smells slightly of leather. I have a feeling that the Black is similar and the Walnut is something else entirely.

The reason I didn't pick Walnut is because I am a bit of a neat-freak when it comes to books - I felt that it showing the wear might be distracting for me. But I could imagine it lying set aside on a rugged oak table somewhere in California, looking very beautiful, or pulled out of a rucksack in Yosemite. It somehow looks very American to me, in a very good way.
JulyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2016, 06:47 PM   #81
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulyB View Post
No, the Merlot cover is not in suede, but a very solid leather with a pleasant texture.
This does answer one of our pending questions: judging by the smell, yes, this is actual dead-animal-skin leather, as distinct from, say, the PW's genuine plastic imitation leather. Amazon have actually managed to produce a non-vegan-friendly e-reader. Will wonders never cease?
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #82
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I'm fairly certain that, in the US, if you say "leather" it has to be leather. Not if Joe Schmuck on eBay says it, to be sure, but if a major advertiser says it, it has to be animal leather. PU Leather is not called just "leather" over here.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:11 PM   #83
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Interesting scratches. Yep looks like suede.
Now if he will run his finger the other direction, those long scratches he made will disappear. But as to the rest of the case, it looked pretty beat up already.
Agree that it would likely smooth it out a bit, but since this looks to be a very fine suede it will probably not completely disappear. Really torn since I like the distressed look, but worried this would be too much and maybe wear worse than the others.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:12 PM   #84
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Some books do not have the 'enhanced typography' feature. Bring-your-own-books will not, for example.
Yes and no. If you make the ebook with the latest version of Kindle previewer or a certain calibre plugin, you can have the KfX features.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:53 PM   #85
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
It's precisely because the hyphenation is completely missing that you have those spaces.
Hyphenation (or lack thereof) can also be a choice. I detest hyphenation. I would rather the small gaps, which quickly become unnoticeable mostly because they aid me with my vision issues (ghosting around letters). That new font is quite nice to read.

Thanks again to OP for the lovely photos!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #86
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Mine arrived today (Best Buy order on Saturday!) and I love it. My screen is fantastic.
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:02 PM   #87
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
Mine arrived today and I've played with it a little. I'm more impressed than I thought I would be. It's feels a lot lighter than my Voyage. I was concerned the "clicking" sound using the page turn buttons would create a problem reading in bed (where I do most of my reading) and irritate my wife. There's a way to press the buttons lightly at the top and there's no sound.

I'll do a more in-depth test of the screen tonight. So far, this is the best e-reader I've used (I've owned most of the Kindle line). Like someone else said, this is what I thought the Voyage would be.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:06 PM   #88
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Can the front light completely disabled?
Yep. When the light is set to 0, there is no light from the Oasis. I went into a fully darkened room with the steering on zero and there is no light shining.

So, a zero on the light setting means just that - no light.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:15 PM   #89
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I'm fairly certain that, in the US, if you say "leather" it has to be leather. Not if Joe Schmuck on eBay says it, to be sure, but if a major advertiser says it, it has to be animal leather. PU Leather is not called just "leather" over here.
Here are the rules if someone is interested...
https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/rule...tation-leather
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:44 AM   #90
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Agree that it would likely smooth it out a bit, but since this looks to be a very fine suede it will probably not completely disappear. Really torn since I like the distressed look, but worried this would be too much and maybe wear worse than the others.
The Walnut isn't actually suede. It's more like nubuck, according to those who've seen it. They made a special edition Voyage cover of the same material.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote