Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-02-2017, 01:23 PM   #16
JustinThought
Groupie
JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JustinThought ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Tab-3 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post

//snip!!//

I know nobody likes to hear it, but it's another of many reasons that editing in Book View is a bad idea (and probably another nail in Book View's coffin).
Got my attention. I completely agree: editing in Book View isn't a good idea--in my experience you get a bunch of unnecessary formatting, spans, you name it. So I realize that the task of maintaining that particular feature seems to be an exercise in futility.

But there are times when I find the Book View very helpful. My most frequent use is for taking un-formatted (or even formatted--italics, for example) paragraphs of text with a double-space separating them and pasting then into the Book View; it happily creates those same paragraphs each within its own <p></p> container. Of course, you just have to take for granted that you're going to then have to go into the Code View and clean up all the weird-ities. But you should plan to do that in any case.

But, if it has to go, it has to go; I'm pretty sure I saw mention somewhere of an add-on that accomplishes the same thing. I'd bite the bullet and go that extra step just to relieve the pressure on you guys, who are supporting this program for...well, let's just say "no financial remuneration."
JustinThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:39 PM   #17
aleksei_iv
aleksei_iv can extract oil from cheesealeksei_iv can extract oil from cheesealeksei_iv can extract oil from cheesealeksei_iv can extract oil from cheesealeksei_iv can extract oil from cheesealeksei_iv can extract oil from cheesealeksei_iv can extract oil from cheesealeksei_iv can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Check it out, man, the same class on the second paragraph created an span with the attribute of the class:

Before:
<p class="noind">Non onono nono nonono,</p>
<p class="noind">nono nono nonono no no nono nonono no no no...</p>

After (same procedure as before):
<p class="noind">Non onono nono nonono,<br/><span style="text-indent: 0em;">nono nono nonono no no nono nonono no no no...</span></p>

When those <p> became ONE the SECOND one is not letting go its past.

Anyway, the Book View makes easier to compare the EPUB with the image of the book and to fix the formatting switching between the views. After all verified, I clean up these unnecessary styles that Sigil generates with find/replace (usually text-indent).

It is a very good and popular software and we try to report all supposed problems to make it always better. Without pressure, right?!
aleksei_iv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #18
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleksei_iv View Post
Anyway, the Book View makes easier to compare the EPUB with the image of the book
Use Preview for this. That way you can have your code in one window, and a preview of how it's rendering in another.

Quote:
After all verified, I clean up these unnecessary styles that Sigil generates with find/replace (usually text-indent).
Do your editing in Code View and there'll never be any unnecessary styles generated to clean up.

Quote:
It is a very good and popular software and we try to report all supposed problems to make it always better. Without pressure, right?!
Agreed. But Book View has long been way more trouble than it's worth. It's basically at a "edit books with it at your own peril" stage of life. Most heavy Sigil users use Book View as little as possible. Or if they DO use it, they learn to live with the code it generates. After all, those who don't want to deal with the html code under the hood can't really complain about the code that the WYSIWYG editor automatically generates for them.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:36 PM   #19
aleksei_iv
aleksei_iv can extract oil from cheesealeksei_iv can extract oil from cheesealeksei_iv can extract oil from cheesealeksei_iv can extract oil from cheesealeksei_iv can extract oil from cheesealeksei_iv can extract oil from cheesealeksei_iv can extract oil from cheesealeksei_iv can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
For me there is no problem either way. I work in html code whenever I can. And cleaning up everything the software generates is very easy and fast.

I've reported this bug just for help "us" with the software; a way to collaborate with this great free tool.

Anyway, thanks, man, and keep it up!
aleksei_iv is offline   Reply With Quote