Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #1
johey
johey began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX Max2 Pro and M92
Blank pages in PDF file on M92 1.8 firmware

I have a PDF file that is shown correctly in evince in GNU/Linux, but on the M92 with 1.8 firmware it has blank pages. I don't know if it is working with older firmware. Not everything is blank, but the main content (balalaika score sheets) is just white. Any suggestions? I attach the file if someone wants to verify.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Russian_folksongs.pdf (1.72 MB, 2308 views)
johey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
It di happen also in alder firmware for certain scanned documents at certain zooms. Another zooms were OK.

It seemed to me it is related to unsuffitient memory space. But it is only my guess.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
vvilmos
Connoisseur
vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.

Device: Onyx M92, K3
The document is not scanned but it has masked images;
not even Acrobat 10 is able to optimize such images.
vvilmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
johey

I have no problems with scanned documents. I've tried with over 100 MB. This one is < 2 MB, so I guess it's not such an issue.

Can I fix the document somehow to make it friendlier? Is it something I can do with ghostscript?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
With scanned pdfs, the problem was not the size of file, but the size of page. I mean either byte size or pixel size (I am not sure), not the size in cm/inch.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by johey View Post
I have no problems with scanned documents. I've tried with over 100 MB. This one is < 2 MB, so I guess it's not such an issue.

Can I fix the document somehow to make it friendlier? Is it something I can do with ghostscript?
It is old known problem. Mono is right , it has to do with insufficient memory of the SCREEN (not RAM). We are trying to find a way to skirt that problem but it is really difficult. AFAIK no one EInk device on the market can handle those PDF (e.g. archive.org pdfs) properly yet.

Last edited by Booxtor; 11-01-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #7
johey

Thanks for all replies! I still doubt memory is the case with the attached file. I more think it has to do with features of the PDF reader. Likely as suggested by vvilmos.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
vvilmos
Connoisseur
vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.vvilmos knows what's going on.

Device: Onyx M92, K3
Actually the masked images are there but are extremely light
so almost impossible to see.
You can change the "glyph embolden" option to the max;
then the images can be seen but still they are too light.

One option would be to change the pdf into a black&white bitmap
(e.g. use pdfcompressor).
Or, even better, convert it in djvu (use pdf2djvu, which is freeware).

V.
vvilmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:06 PM   #9
johey

Thank you! Before I saw your reply, I tried to open it in evince, then "print" it to a new pdf file. This one works perfectly.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you! Before I saw your reply, I tried to open it in evince, then "print" it to a new pdf file. This one works perfectly.
Thanx for the file! I am singing now those Russian songs
Old 11-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #11
johey

Haha! I hope you have tuned your balalaika.
Old 11-02-2012, 06:07 AM   #12
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Haha! I hope you have tuned your balalaika.
Sorry for off topic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzZGF...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mN1Bd...eature=related
Just wow!