Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-19-2011, 01:35 AM   #1
Paul Levine
Connoisseur
Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Pulitzers Announced: Will Reading the Winners Make You Smarter?

I just started Jennifer Egan's "A Visit from the Goon Squad", which today was named the winner of the 2011 Pulitzer for fiction.

Which got me to thinking about my TBR list. Shouldn't I be reading books that win prizes? I've only read three of the last ten Pulitzer prize winners, four if you count "...Goon Squad."

Should we rely on critics and professors and intellectuals to guide our reading? Or listen to Snooki?

Are prize committees in tune with the times? Or are they just too damn stuffy and self-imporant? (In the 1970's, the Committee found no book deserving of the fiction award three years out of ten).

What do you think? Have you tried reading Pulitzer or Nobel Prize winners...just as a self-improvement device?

Paul Levine
Paul Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I wouldn't look at prize winners as an automatic read, no, but it does cause me to take notice. If it doesn't look like something I'll enjoy, I pass. Nobel Prize winners are a bit different, since it's based on an author's work in general, not a particular book. It's pretty rare that someone who earns that honor isn't worth at least serious consideration.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Should we rely on critics and professors and intellectuals to guide our reading?
We should neither rely on them nor ignore them. It doesn't have to be a "feast or famine" relationship. I don't decide to read a book simply because it's a prize-winner, but I may look at prize-winning books to see if they sound interesting to me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I have trouble reading the work of Nobel winners. They are always very foreign and often portray America in a bad light. Right or wrong, I do not like to read that.

But back on topic, I think that reading them will make you smarter about literature. But only experience will make you wise.

Last edited by DixieGal; 04-19-2011 at 08:23 AM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I don't care how many prizes Goon Squad wins, I read the synopsis and it makes my head hurt. Not for me.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

I read the Good Squad. It was entertaining, but I can't imagine it was worthy of a Pulitzer...
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
I'm reading "The Keep" right now and I like it, I will probably read Goon Squad at some point. I don't think it will make me smarter but I might claim it does...
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Paul Levine
Connoisseur
Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Something for Everyone

Catlady,
That's what is great about popular culture. Something for everyone.

BTW, my favorite genre (crime fiction) novel of the year is "The Lock Artist" by Steve Hamilton. (Let me add I don't know Steve, so I'm not plugging an old pal).

Paul Levine
Paul Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Levine View Post
Catlady,
That's what is great about popular culture. Something for everyone.

BTW, my favorite genre (crime fiction) novel of the year is "The Lock Artist" by Steve Hamilton. (Let me add I don't know Steve, so I'm not plugging an old pal).

Paul Levine
Just looked up Steve Hamilton at Fantastic Fiction--thanks, his books look right up my alley.

Let me recommend a crime fiction author in return: Megan Abbott. I just read her four noir novels, and they're marvelous.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
Reading the winners will make you smarter. So will reading the losers.

It's not reading that's the kiss of stupid.
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiction, jake lassiter, paul levine, pulitzer prize