Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Spring Design Alex

Notices

Old 05-01-2010, 07:03 AM   #16
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Do you see covers while reading?
I only see the symbol for the file format.
I've tried downloading on Alex, copying via Windows Explorer, ....- everything except ADE, which doesn't recognise my Alex...
I can see covers in Epub when the book is open. I see it on the EPD screen and after I sync I can see it on the LCD screen.

But I can't see the covers in cover flow mode (in the library).
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:17 AM   #17
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I did see the cover for "The Moonstone" on the little LCD, right above the "ePub" icon, but I haven't seen covers on anything I bought from Kobo on the lcd while I was reading it. I downloaded "The Moonstone" from Gutenberg.

I've been playing with mine for a week now and had no idea the ePub icon worked as a next page button. But that means I would have to leave the lcd on, and it's a battery hog. I was down to 43% charge last night for a weeks worth of reading.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #18
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've tried downloading on Alex, copying via Windows Explorer, ....- everything except ADE, which doesn't recognise my Alex...

You've entered your ADE login and password in the Settings option for it, while you had WiFi turned on? This was my problem with ADE. The Alex doesn't show up as a reader on the sidebar in the ADE program like a Nook does, but once I had my ADE login/password in I could drag and drop books from ADE into the Alex and they're readable.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:25 AM   #19
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNolan View Post
You've entered your ADE login and password in the Settings option for it, while you had WiFi turned on? This was my problem with ADE. The Alex doesn't show up as a reader on the sidebar in the ADE program like a Nook does, but once I had my ADE login/password in I could drag and drop books from ADE into the Alex and they're readable.
Entering my ADE login has been one of my first actions. I can read and download DRMed ePUBS or PDFs fine, I just don't see any covers on the LCD.
But I'lll try your drag and drop. To make sure: You open ADE and in parallel Windows Explorer, in which Alex shows? Then you drop from ADE into the other Window, showing Alex?
I've been mainly interested in ADE, to see whether this helps concerning the covers.

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-01-2010 at 11:31 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #20
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did see the cover for "The Moonstone" on the little LCD, right above the "ePub" icon, but I haven't seen covers on anything I bought from Kobo on the lcd while I was reading it. I downloaded "The Moonstone" from Gutenberg.

I've been playing with mine for a week now and had no idea the ePub icon worked as a next page button. But that means I would have to leave the lcd on, and it's a battery hog. I was down to 43% charge last night for a weeks worth of reading.
I've downloaded 2 books from the web and uploaded quite a few via PC. So far, I haven't seen a single cover...
Given the pictures and description in the user guide, it should be the way you describe, whereas I only have the empty icon.
Advert
Old 05-01-2010, 11:27 AM   #21
mgmueller
Member Retired

PDFs on ALex

How do you operate PDF?
I haven't found any way, to change the font size or zoom in.
I can zoom in on the LCD, but not on the EPD.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:51 AM   #22
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
How do you operate PDF?
I haven't found any way, to change the font size or zoom in.
I can zoom in on the LCD, but not on the EPD.
I can't do any more than you. PDF support is lacking.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #23
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

mgmueller - I'm on a Mac. I open the Documents folder for ADE and drag the book files over to the ebooks folder on the Alex.

Now, for the Gutenberg book, it was a direct download into the Alex ebooks folder. Maybe that's the difference on the cover displays.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #24
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
mgmueller - I'm on a Mac. I open the Documents folder for ADE and drag the book files over to the ebooks folder on the Alex.

Now, for the Gutenberg book, it was a direct download into the Alex ebooks folder. Maybe that's the difference on the cover displays.
Ah, I see. I've done the same in Windows. Perfectly readable. No covers on the LCD though. Neither in DRMed eBooks, nor in free ones.
I've downloaded 2 free books from separate sources, I even bought and downloadad one on Alex. Again, no cover.
It's not described in detail in the user guide. But all the pics they show, have a small cover within the symbol for the format. And they explicitly mention the covers twice.

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-01-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:58 PM   #25
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

There's a "Thumbnails" folder within my ADE directory that has the book covers in it. When I copy the "png" files to the "Covers" folder on the Alex I get whatever ADE has as a book cover as the first page on the eInk screen, however I'm not seeing the little cover icon in the LCD except for that one book I downloaded from Gutenberg. Kobo isn't sending all the real book covers down to ADE, either. It looks like it's some kind of book metadata issue, but I don't know what's different about that one Gutenberg book that makes it work.

Now I'm getting new problems; it keeps dropping the WiFi connection during attempted downloads from Gutenberg, and it's saying I don't have enough room to store a new download file, even though I've still got 1.6 GB available on the card. Looks like I'll need to send another email to Spring Design on Monday.

Last edited by NNolan; 05-01-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #26
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
There's a "Thumbnails" folder within my ADE directory that has the book covers in it. When I copy the "png" files to the "Covers" folder on the Alex I get whatever ADE has as a book cover as the first page on the eInk screen, however I'm not seeing the little cover icon in the LCD except for that one book I downloaded from Gutenberg. Kobo isn't sending all the real book covers down to ADE, either. It looks like it's some kind of book metadata issue, but I don't know what's different about that one Gutenberg book that makes it work.

Now I'm getting new problems; it keeps dropping the WiFi connection during attempted downloads from Gutenberg, and it's saying I don't have enough room to store a new download file, even though I've still got 1.6 GB available on the card. Looks like I'll need to send another email to Spring Design on Monday.
I don't even have a "covers" folder on Alex. I've manually generated folders "covers", "thumbnails" and so on and have copied cover graphics into them. No change.
Did you create the folder "covers" or has it been generated by Alex? Is there a cover file in it for the Gutenberg download? If so: Has it been generated after opening the book for the first time? Or has it been created directly when downloading?
Old 05-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #27
kejia
Enthusiast
kejia began at the beginning.

Device: alex ereader
Quote:
While reading, the lcd screen shows the epub icon, book title and author, and progress bar that I can move to forward through book. Underneath all that are the icons for font, bookmarks, etc.

Quote:
On my mac, ADE doesn't recognize Alex either. Purchased one book from fictionwise (42 cent short story), added it to ADE library, and transferred it over*. It worked. Did same with epub library book I checked out via overdrive, and it did not work.

* Note: Following NNolan's advice, I had authorized Alex to my Adobe ID, mounted SD on Mac, and then turned on ADE in the Mac. Since Alex icon did not show up in ADE, I manually transferred the epub file over. Fictionwise was in folder I'd downloaded book, overdrive library ebook was in Documents/Digital Editions folder.
kejia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #28
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek

The "covers" folder is a subfolder of "ebooks"; I assume it's part of the Alex directory structure because I know I didn't create it.

So Overdrive for library books doesn't work yet. Bummer.

Last edited by NNolan; 05-01-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #29
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by kejia View Post
While reading, the lcd screen shows the epub icon, book title and author, and progress bar that I can move to forward through book. Underneath all that are the icons for font, bookmarks, etc.
If you look at the user guide (page 54 of 128): There should be cover graphics (at least) for HTML, ePUB and PDF, instead of a "naked" symbol.
I find that very convenient, nice to look at on my nook.
If you've got a LCD screen and plenty of room, this would be nice to have.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #30
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:

Just downloaded "Moonstone" (ePUB) via "Gutenberg" on Alex. No cover either...

Last edited by mgmueller; 05-01-2010 at 02:59 PM.