Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #46
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Ooooo, I get to rant about The Bridges of Madison County! I saw Oprah interview the author after it hit the bestseller list, and he admitted the photographer was based on himself, but Francesca was not based on his wife. Okay. Then I picked up the book and read it, and Waller went on and on in the book about how the photographer was a god and a shaman and just the greatest thing since sliced bread, and it felt like he wrote a love letter to himself. By the time I finished I hated that book with the fire of a thousand burning suns. The movie, on the other hand, had none of that, so I actually enjoyed it.
Sometimes less really is more.

The other "movie was better than the book" for me was the Gormenghast mini-series versus the Titus Groan books. A picture really is worth a thousand of Peake's words of description.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:04 AM   #47
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
In general, I don't care for movies that were made from a book. Usually, a movie format is simply too short to capture the book (children's books are better for the format, as they tend to be shorter). There are exceptions, most often these exceptions were made where the original writer was still available (like the Harry Potter movies).

I prefer a book turned into a (mini)series. You have more time to capture the book. I loved the BBC mini series of Pride and Prejudice and I really like Outlander. One of my favourites still is Shogun though...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2018, 07:27 AM   #48
wildhoney66
Zealot
wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10
for me while i do love at times seeing a film based off a book. it really depends on the casting. the director and the #1 thing the writer, if the director or writer or both if the director also wrote it is really in love with the story and cares enough to want it to be good than we get a Shawshank Redemption or a Green Mile, Stand By Me. 3 films that really follow the stories they are based of off. than you have

the Harry Potter films where the first 2 films are pretty faithful to the books. but it also helped that those books are really short compared to the later books.

i do love Mini-series as well.. the book i'm reading now it's going to i think the big screen to take a guess 5 year from now. but on how long it is 702 pages with authors note included. it has to be 2 things like around 180 minutes long or 150 about or around there

or a really long Mini-series like The Stand was. though to be fair that's a longer book too.
wildhoney66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #49
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Hitchcock's The Birds is more fun than the du Maurier short story but the clever idea belonged to Daphne.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #50
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
Hitchcock's The Birds is more fun than the du Maurier short story but the clever idea belonged to Daphne.
Oh, I entirely disagree! The story is so much creepier than the film. Also, Tippi Hedren's not much of an actress.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2018, 12:14 PM   #51
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Oh, I entirely disagree! The story is so much creepier than the film. Also, Tippi Hedren's not much of an actress.
That's what makes a horse race.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:31 PM   #52
wildhoney66
Zealot
wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.wildhoney66 can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Amazon Fire HD 10
honestly i have never read the book or any of her books but i've always thought the birds was one of Hitch's lesser movies. he's got worse films though The Skin Game for example is pretty bad.
wildhoney66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:52 AM   #53
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Incidentally, earlier this year I read Du Maurier's The Birds and liked it quite a bit. Like The Shining, Hitchcock's movie had almost no relation to the original story. But I enjoyed both the story and the film.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:32 PM   #54
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
And Mel Brooks' 1976 movie Silent Movie is silent, mostly.
And Schindler's List is B&W, mostly. Talking of which - anyone read the book? Is the book worth it compared to the movie?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:46 PM   #55
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
And Schindler's List is B&W, mostly. Talking of which - anyone read the book? Is the book worth it compared to the movie?
I liked the book but never got around to seeing the movie.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:11 AM   #56
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
It's been a long time since I read it, but I remember it as being definitely worth reading. Schindler's List (the movie) and Pan's Labyrinth are example of movies that I thought were exceptional movies, but movies that I would only see once, simply because I found myself so depressed after seeing them. The book didn't effect me the same way.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 05:31 AM   #57
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It's been a long time since I read it, but I remember it as being definitely worth reading. Schindler's List (the movie) and Pan's Labyrinth are example of movies that I thought were exceptional movies, but movies that I would only see once, simply because I found myself so depressed after seeing them. The book didn't effect me the same way.
Thank you, that makes sense. I was afraid the book would be similar depressing. I remember after seeing the movie the first time (while in high school) I immediately thought: "Wow, it took an American to make a movie like this? Some German guy should have had the decency to do that a long time ago."

I will check out the book.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:41 AM   #58
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Thank you, that makes sense. I was afraid the book would be similar depressing. I remember after seeing the movie the first time (while in high school) I immediately thought: "Wow, it took an American to make a movie like this? Some German guy should have had the decency to do that a long time ago."
You say that like just anyone could have made Schindler's List.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:42 PM   #59
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You say that like just anyone could have made Schindler's List.
It depends on the message you want to take from it. Is Spielberg emotionally invested and qualified to do that? Yes, absolutely. And he put it off for quite a while, because he didn't think he would be able to make the movie good enough. The way history is taught in the USA is a little bit different than in Germany. The majority of Germans were / are decent people, even the soldiers. How did they not see it coming? That is easy to say in hindsight after you have the facts from both sides. If you hear often enough that they are out to get you, eventually you become paranoid.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:28 PM   #60
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
The book Schindler’s Ark was written by the Australian author Thomas Keneally. He met one of the people Schindler saved, who told him the story.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote