Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-15-2016, 03:19 PM   #61
JoshuaAryeh
JoshuaAryeh began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
THis plugin is for writing metadata not reading it. Reading of ComicRack metadata is builtin to calibre. If you find it is failing for some books, opena bug report and attach a couple of samples and I will take a look.
Thank you for your quick response, Kovid! I'm a big fan of your work.

I'll definitely submit a bug report later today.

I was confused since there is an option in the plugin: "import metadata from comicinfo.xml"...

Again, my thanks for your attention. Could you please clarify what kind of "samples" would be most useful? I assume you mean a couple of small comic files?

Cheers!
JoshuaAryeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 03:23 PM   #62
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaAryeh View Post
I assume you mean a couple of small comic files?
Yes .
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2016, 05:04 AM   #63
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Quote:
THis plugin is for writing metadata not reading it. Reading of ComicRack metadata is builtin to calibre. If you find it is failing for some books, opena bug report and attach a couple of samples and I will take a look.
Actually this plugin imports metadata. That wasn't the purpose in the beginning, but it kind of evolved over time. Its metadata import is more complete for comics than calibres built in import, since the user can import various comic specific metadata to custom columns (like artist, inker, story arch etc.).

Didn't know, that calibre imports comicrack metadata. I thought calibre only imports from the zip comment?
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:08 AM   #64
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaAryeh View Post
A plaintive request for guidance...

I'm migrating off of Win10 - since Comicrack (which I've been using extensively) doesn't play well with Linux, I wanted to find some way to get my painstakingly entered metadata preserved. Since I'd already been using Calibre for my ebook collection, this plugin seemes perfect!

Install worked like a charm and I configured it to "import metadata from comicinfo.xml". The issue is that the import seems to be hit-or-miss. Sometimes I get the comic summary from Comicrack showing up in Calibre's comments fields, sometimes nothing comes through. And I don't seem to be able to find where the genre and tag field info went after import...

All of my files are ain .cbz format, FWIW.

I'd appreciate any help you could offer - I appreciate all the work that's gone into this plugin and really want to make it work!

Many thanks, my friends!
Hm, can you provide some example files, where it doesn't work? I don't use those both fields myself, so it could be, that there is something strange going on.
Old 10-16-2016, 10:14 AM   #65
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
Didn't know, that calibre imports comicrack metadata. I thought calibre only imports from the zip comment?

Yes, and comicrack puts its metadata in the zip comment, at least it did the last time I checked.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2016, 11:58 AM   #66
dickloraine
Guru

Quote:
Yes, and comicrack puts its metadata in the zip comment, at least it did the last time I checked.
Unfortunately it doesn't. The whole metadata in comics is quite a mess. Comicrack saves the metadata in a comicinfo.xml file inside the archive and Comicbook lovers saves it in the zip comment (I think this is the better idea). Both use a similar xml-scheme at least , but comicbook lovers has a few fields less.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #67
DreamStatic
Enthusiast
DreamStatic began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, computer
Hello, still enjoying this tool. Next time you are tweaking on it, I thought of a couple of useful additions if possible? Would love the ability to map Count (or number of issues) to a custom integer column. Also, since we don't really have the comicvine id mapped into Calibre it would be cool to map Web to the bottom of the summary field as a URL. Below is how the code looks when Calibre inserts a URL into the Summary field. Either way, I appreciate this tool. It has saved me so many hours of manual entry.

i.e.
Code:
<p class="description"><a href="http://www.comicvine.com/aphrodite-ix-cyber-force-1/4000-459713/">http://www.comicvine.com/aphrodite-ix-cyber-force-1/4000-459713/</a></p>
DreamStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #68
dickloraine
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStatic View Post
Hello, still enjoying this tool. Next time you are tweaking on it, I thought of a couple of useful additions if possible? Would love the ability to map Count (or number of issues) to a custom integer column. Also, since we don't really have the comicvine id mapped into Calibre it would be cool to map Web to the bottom of the summary field as a URL. Below is how the code looks when Calibre inserts a URL into the Summary field. Either way, I appreciate this tool. It has saved me so many hours of manual entry.

i.e.
Code:
<p class="description"><a href="http://www.comicvine.com/aphrodite-ix-cyber-force-1/4000-459713/">http://www.comicvine.com/aphrodite-ix-cyber-force-1/4000-459713/</a></p>
I added the needed code to my development build and it looks as if it works I implemented the comicvine link as another customn column, since this is not a standard field in comic metadata and prone to being outdated sometimes. You can still see it at the bottom of the comments, if you just set the field to be shown there via the calibre preferences for the detail view. The column type is comment. The only question remaining is, if I show the whole link adress as the link tag or if I show a description like just "ComicVine-Link" (and assume the users are hiding the column from view, since it looks then pretty useless). Showing the whole adress allows doing things with the column (I don't know what or to which end, but maybe someone will use the data in the column directly) while showing just a description looks nicer in the details view.

In addition an option is added to also convert zips and rars to cbz. I will test it some more and then update the release version in a few days.

Last edited by dickloraine; 01-23-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:08 AM   #69
DreamStatic
Enthusiast

Hmm, good points. I am just going to use it for a quick way to open the ComicVine webpage while viewing entries in Calibre. So, for me, it just saying ComicVine-Link would work; but I see your point about it may come in handy for someone else as the full link.

Thanks as always.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:39 PM   #70
DreamStatic
Enthusiast

Just a quick update on the new version, it is working great so far. Thank you again.
Old 02-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #71
dickloraine
Guru

I added support for the page count metadata and a way to count it by just counting the number of image files in the comic archive.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:07 AM   #72
bp1000
bp1000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Configure window too big for screen

Hi there.

Fantastic plugin. I'm having a slight problem with the configure window. It is too large for the screen and I cannot move it up enough to show the OK/Save/Cancel buttons. I can resize the window horizontally but not vertically. If I try to resize vertically, the windows just moves down but doesn't change size. It can also just disappear and I have to kill calibre as the configuree windows modal dialog still has control. See attached image.

And 1 request. It would be good to be able to choose which data fields in calibre get updated from the comic metadata. I've chosen to use a specific format for the comicbook title in calibre, but I want to get other metadata fields like published (date) into calibre. I've used comicrack to download this information from comicvine and then saved it into the embedded comic metadata.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (10).png
Views:	896
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	156091  
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:04 AM   #73
dickloraine
Guru

I added scrollbars to the config menu, I hope this solves the problem.

I don't think I implement the request, sorry. I think it makes the configuration to complicated and is to narrow a use case.

For new comics, it shouldn't be a problem I guess, because you have to manually add the title anyway. If you want to preserve your titles for all your previously added comics, you could make a new custom column and copy your titles to it (through the search and replace tab in the bulk metadata edit menu from calibre), import the comic metadata and copy the titles back.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:49 PM   #74
bp1000
bp1000 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Thank you. The scrollbar fix allowed me to resize and be able to use the OK and Cancel buttons on the Config window.

As to my feature request, I've changed my workflow process for new comics so I now avoid the overwriting of custom titles when importing metadata from comicrack to calibre.

I have comicrack scan my "new comic folder" and then use the comicvine scraper to download metadata for each comic. I update each comic title in comicrack to my custom format, then save the metadata back to comicinfo.xml in the comic archive file.

I then add all the new comics to calibre, and import the metadata from comicinfo.xml.

Cheers.
bp1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:10 PM   #75
travislaborde
travislaborde began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505
Hello. I'm a new user (just installed the plugin now) and I could use some help. Or maybe I'm not understanding what it is supposed to do.

I have installed the plugin.

I have created two custom fields in my installation - as described in the first page of this thread. One for the Comic Vine Link, and one for the Penciller.

I have hit the "configure" button for the addon and linked those two fields to my new custom fields.

I did a search on comic vine for a comic that I've added to Calibre. I found the following url applies to the issue in question:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/batma...r/4000-118290/

So, I put that value into my custom field for Comic Vine Link.

And then I clicked the Import Comic Metadata button.

It seems to think that it worked. I see a dialog that says something like "
Updated Calibre Metadata: Updated calibre metadata for 1 book(s)"

But I don't see the Penciller field filled in.

I somehow thought that the purpose of this plugin was to browse to the provided url and grab all the data (such as penciller, inker, whatever) and plug that info into the field that I had provided for the data.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks!
Travis
travislaborde is offline   Reply With Quote