Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-19-2014, 10:39 PM   #16
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I'll be a little different. If 3G will make life more pleasant buy it now. You can always sell it if a significantly better model is offered.

Too many times I have put off buying things because they may be better/cheaper and then put them off again.

This year I have been trying to rectify this by buying things I have wanted for ages and certainly can afford easily. So far the score is 6/1. Six items that I actually take pleasure in using and one that I think what did I buy that for

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #17
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
My paper white one is acting a bit flaky sometimes. It takes me three or four tries to turn it on or off, sort of like my old Kindle three where the on/off switch broke down and I could no longer turn the unit on or off. The rumors that i am hearing i that the new model will be out shortly so I think I will try to hold off until the new model is available. Members of this forum tell me that the increase in performance between the one and two is marginal and I do not see any reason to go through the trouble of buying a new unit when the performance increase is marginal. All of my previous upgrades have been forced upgrades, the existing reader breaks down to the point that I can no longer operate the reader. Tow of the previous readers had broken screens.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #18
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
My paper white one is acting a bit flaky sometimes. It takes me three or four tries to turn it on or off, sort of like my old Kindle three where the on/off switch broke down and I could no longer turn the unit on or off. The rumors that i am hearing i that the new model will be out shortly so I think I will try to hold off until the new model is available. Members of this forum tell me that the increase in performance between the one and two is marginal and I do not see any reason to go through the trouble of buying a new unit when the performance increase is marginal. All of my previous upgrades have been forced upgrades, the existing reader breaks down to the point that I can no longer operate the reader. Tow of the previous readers had broken screens.
Would it work with a sleep cover? Save wear and tear on the switch and extend the life? I think I read you can make one yourself cheaply.

Helen
Old 04-21-2014, 07:38 AM   #19
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sleep covers are a consideration. However I do not think that the cover is going to save the power switch, I think that is more of a function of how often I switch the reader on or off. This is the longest running ereader that I have ever had so I am not complaining.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #20
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
if you don't use the switch then it'll work better longer right? so if you use a sleeper cover then the switch will last longer.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2014, 02:57 PM   #21
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Sleep covers are a consideration. However I do not think that the cover is going to save the power switch, I think that is more of a function of how often I switch the reader on or off. This is the longest running ereader that I have ever had so I am not complaining.
Kudos for not complaining. I got my first sleep cover for the Sony T3 and was surprisingly easy to get used to. You close the cover and the book turns off and open the cover and the book turns on.

Of course if you prefer to go coverless I can totally understand that. if you have a cover I seem to have read somewhere that it can be changed to s sleepcover by cutting a bit of fridge magnet and attaching it to the right place.

Helen
Old 04-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #22
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
3G is OBSOLETE. I got 4G LTE on my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone. The PW 2014 will probably have 4G !
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #23
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
3G is OBSOLETE. I got 4G LTE on my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone. The PW 2014 will probably have 4G !
This is a joke.... I think?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:22 AM   #24
jbcohen
Wizard

4G is not necessarily better than 3g what you need to do is to look at the bandwidth on both. Sometimes you will find that 3g is actually faster than 4g is.

Perhaps the sleep cover is a better idea then I thought at first. However, doesn't the sleep cover use the power button to turn off and on the unit so instead of me turning on and off the unit the sleep cover is the one doing that instead, meaning that the sleep cover would not be any less wear and tear on my paper white then me turning it on and off as I am doing now.

Last edited by jbcohen; 04-22-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #25
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
4G LTE is the fastest for data transfer. However, it uses more battery power. If one wants to just make voice calls and use SMS, 3G will do fine.

PC Magazine ran a test where it was shown that ATT 4G LTE beats all other networks by a huge margin in data transfer.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:05 PM   #26
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Quote:
4G LTE is the fastest for data transfer. However, it uses more battery power. If one wants to just make voice calls and use SMS, 3G will do fine.

PC Magazine ran a test where it was shown that ATT 4G LTE beats all other networks by a huge margin in data transfer.
I guess all that would make a difference if you do a lot of data transfering. Out of curiosity what kind of data transferring are we talking? I have a 3g and the few times I do video streams or games it works fine for me with no data interruptions or buffering problems.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:03 AM   #27
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
More to the point, how much data is being transferred on an e-ink reader???
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #28
jbcohen
Wizard

I would look for a company which does business in both 3g and 4g then ask them which is better suited for what you are doing. I believe that BestBuy sells both 3g phones and 4g, although you might have to speak with a GeekSquad staff member to get the technical details. Tell them what you are doing and they can help you decide which technology is best suited to your tasks.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:54 PM   #29
jeffyen
Connoisseur
jeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheesejeffyen can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Uh... 4G on a Kindle is absolutely overkill and totally unnecessary, unless the cost of the 4G chip is actually cheaper than the 3G chip.
jeffyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:47 AM   #30
Pangolin
Pangolin
Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pangolin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 2
I'll settle for any old G
Sleep cover def the way to go if the on off switch is plaguing you, no?

Let's hold out for the eventual release of the third gen paperwhite (all these abbreviations are potentially confusing - a 3G PW3)
Pangolin is offline   Reply With Quote