Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #1
michaelbr
Connoisseur
michaelbr began at the beginning.

Device: Android 12
Problems with EPUBReader

Hi Michael:
I noticed the following problem with EPUBReader and not sure if it's a bug, could you please let me know?
- I tried to open several epub ebooks and when the size of the file is over 1MB, EPUBReader has difficulty in opening it (take very long time), and if the size is over 2MB, I just gave up waiting. Is this a bug?
- I got an epub book (Micro by Michael Crichton), when I tried to open it with EPUBReader, it just showed the first page, and the rest is just blank, and I could open it with other apps with no problem (Calibre, Nook).
michaelbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #2
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Hi Michael,

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbr View Post
- I tried to open several epub ebooks and when the size of the file is over 1MB, EPUBReader has difficulty in opening it (take very long time), and if the size is over 2MB, I just gave up waiting. Is this a bug?
Opening eBooks with 1 or 2 MB shouldn't be a problem. I already opened eBooks with more than 50 MB. Without having more details about the eBooks it's hard to say what could cause the problem.
Could you try to open this eBook http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12116.epub.images? It's 1.8 MB and took about 10 seconds (including download) opening on my computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbr View Post
- I got an epub book (Micro by Michael Crichton), when I tried to open it with EPUBReader, it just showed the first page, and the rest is just blank, and I could open it with other apps with no problem (Calibre, Nook).
It's most likely that this is caused by malformed XML files which are included in the eBook. In this case Firefox just shows a blank page.

Last edited by mikelv; 03-28-2012 at 01:12 PM.
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
michaelbr
Connoisseur
michaelbr began at the beginning.

Device: Android 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
Hi Michael,

Opening eBooks with 1 or 2 MB shouldn't be a problem. I already opened eBooks with more than 50 MB. Without having more details about the eBooks it's hard to say what could cause the problem.
Could you try to open this eBook http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/12116.epub.images? It's 1.8 MB and took about 10 seconds (including download) opening on my computer.
I'm sorry, I was mistaken, the ebook I was trying to open was 3MB and it was in my local hard drive, took about 10-15 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelv View Post
It's most likely that this is caused by malformed XML files which are included in the eBook. In this case Firefox just shows a blank page.
I see, thanks for your reply.
michaelbr is offline   Reply With Quote