Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Actually found "Text to Speech" Useful!

I played with "text to speech" when I first got my Kindle, and found it rotten enough to ignore. But today I tried something different.

I plugged it into my car stereo like I would my ipod. And maybe it was just the sound of driving, wind, etc... but it wasn't terrible. I mean, don't get me wrong, it wasn't as good as a real audiobook but since I'd never buy an audiobook of a book I already owned this works out rather well enough.

I've got an 8 hour drive to Albuquerque next week, and plan on listening to it most the way! (Hopefully it can be powered by my car USB adapter, if not I have a USB battery charger).
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
About a decade ago I was hospitalized with optic neuritis. It was a rather atypical instance of it in that I got it in both eyes simultaneously. In the course of about 36 hours I lost about 90% of my vision. The pain was unbearable initially, but once I was put on a steroid treatment in the hospital, the pain was gone. Unfortunately, I couldn't see to do anything either. What I wouldn't have given for an ipod or a TTS Kindle at the time.

I don't usually listen to audiobooks myself, but I know others who rarely read and keep Audible in business (yeah, I know they're Amazon owned too).

Glad you're finding TTS useful. Perhaps the K2 is a good bridge device.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:28 PM   #3
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Is it better now?

I actually got a rather bad case of conjunctivitis the week before I got my kindle (on Feb. 15th) and was so photophobic (never had pain like it.. was like a migraine in my eyeballs) I couldn't deal with any amount of light for about a week. I was REALLY wishing I had the Kindle then.

Being struck temporarily blind, aside from the pain and the sheer...trauma of it, it was SO BORING!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
xianfox
Ebook Addict
xianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it isxianfox knows what time it is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Is it better now?

I actually got a rather bad case of conjunctivitis the week before I got my kindle (on Feb. 15th) and was so photophobic (never had pain like it.. was like a migraine in my eyeballs) I couldn't deal with any amount of light for about a week. I was REALLY wishing I had the Kindle then.

Being struck temporarily blind, aside from the pain and the sheer...trauma of it, it was SO BORING!
Yes, I should have mentioned that my eyesight did return slowly over the course of the next 4-6 weeks. But it was probably a good solid week before i could see well enough to read or watch TV. That was a boring week.

My optic neuritis started with a stiff neck and progressed to searing pain akin to an ice pick stabbing through my eyes. Prednisone was a miracle drug for me.

Glad to hear you're doing better as well.
xianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #5
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I've played with it quite a bit and you know, it's not awful, but the technology isn't *quite* there in my opinion. I have a feeling this is going to improve significantly in the coming years.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I played with "text to speech" when I first got my Kindle, and found it rotten enough to ignore. But today I tried something different.

I plugged it into my car stereo like I would my ipod. And maybe it was just the sound of driving, wind, etc... but it wasn't terrible. I mean, don't get me wrong, it wasn't as good as a real audiobook but since I'd never buy an audiobook of a book I already owned this works out rather well enough.
Wow! That's super cool ! I have a Ipod attachment that plugs into my Ipod Shuffle and plays on the car radio. Nice! Now I can just plug it into the Kindle instead and have my Kindle read to me.

I can charge my Kindle via my car's cell phone charger if needed on long trip down to my Mom's house which is a nine hour drive.

Last edited by MsAstoria; 03-15-2009 at 04:05 PM.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
busy91
Connoisseur
busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Nook Color
Great idea. I've used the feature when on the subway standing and it is crowded, or when I'm walking to/from the subway. No, it is no audio book, but it serves a purpose for me.
busy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #8
arshield
Enthusiast
arshield is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
I have used it in my car for a couple mins at a time. But I also pretty much always have audiobooks loaded on it as well so I usually choose the audio book instead of the TTS.
arshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #9
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
I used it when I was working out. You don't forget it's a computer, but for a computer it really isn't bad.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #10
Hantra
Enthusiast
Hantra began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Heck I use mine in the car with just the K2 speakers. I think it's as good as available right now. The female voice is better FWIW.
Hantra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #11
busy91
Connoisseur
busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.busy91 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hantra View Post
Heck I use mine in the car with just the K2 speakers. I think it's as good as available right now. The female voice is better FWIW.
I agree, I like the female voice better, less robotic.
busy91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 10:32 AM   #12
KindleKat
Connoisseur
KindleKat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
I used it when I was working out. You don't forget it's a computer, but for a computer it really isn't bad.
Nope, text-to-speach has come a long way since "microsoft sam"
KindleKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #13
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
TTS must be a godsend for parents - they don't have to read bedtime stories to their kids any more.

Plug in the Kindle and pop up the pub!
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
TTS must be a godsend for parents - they don't have to read bedtime stories to their kids any more.
I much enjoyed reading to my kids. I didn't see it as a chore at all.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #15
StanDaMan
Connoisseur
StanDaMan began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I still can't bare TTS. It just drives me nuts. 8 hours of that voice would caught me either a to fall asleep at the wheel, or give me a migraine. I'm not sure which.
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote