Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 08-02-2017, 12:50 AM   #1
firus
firus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
File dialog in KDE Plasma 5 on Linux [SOLVED]

Hello,

I'm using Linux Mint 18.2 KDE. I installed Calibre 3.5 using command from Calibre website.

Calibre is using its own file dialog for add books, choose working directory etc. And I cannot make it to use system (Qt5) file dialogs. I also tried GTK based desktop environment, but nothing works (only installing Calibre from repos, but it's old and outdated, some 2.x version)

It's not a big deal, but it would be nice to have Calibre fully integrated.

Does anybody know a solution to this?

Thanks.

Last edited by firus; 08-02-2017 at 05:32 AM.
firus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:05 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There isn't one. Linux has no stable API to access native file dialogs, unlike OS X and Windows. The only way to make it work is to use a distro calibre package or build calibre from source.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:24 AM   #3
firus

Thanks for quick answer! You saved me a lot of time googling.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:32 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, I added some code to use native file dialogs via zenity or kdialog, when available for the next release.

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...334d9cf91fd5b9
Old 08-04-2017, 06:56 AM   #5
firus

Awsome, thank you! I tested it with todays update. Zenity works just fine (in ubuntu 16.04 and mint cinnamon 18.2), but kdialog doesnt. I tested it on Mint kde 18.2 (which has both zenity and kdialog) and live Kubuntu 17.04(only kdialog installed). I'm going to try and eventually file a bug on launchpad.

However, I started to use Calibre only a while ago, when i got my Kobo reader. And it's a great piece of software! I'm going to donate and maybe find out another way to contribute.

Thank you.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:12 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

kdialog works on my system. What error do you get? It may be that you need a newer version of kdialog.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:30 PM   #7
firus

This is the output from terminal:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/linux_file_dialogs.py", line 293, in r
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/linux_file_dialogs.py", line 170, in kdialog_choose_files
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/linux_file_dialogs.py", line 130, in run_kde
ValueError: KDE file dialog aborted with return code: 254 and stderr: kdialog: Neznáma možnosť 'desktopfile'.

Dont know if desktopfile is somthing in your python code, or an option of higher version of kdialog. I'm on KDE 5.8.7, kdialog 1.0. Same error occurs with Kubuntu 17.04 which has KDE 5.9.4 but the same version of kdialog.

"Neznáma možnosť" in output means "Unknown option".
Old 08-04-2017, 09:50 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This is what the kdialog in my system outputs:

kdialog --help | grep desktopfile
--desktopfile <file name> The base file name of the desktop entry for

This is with kdialog version 17.04.3
Old 08-04-2017, 10:06 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...fac42d375afc71
Old 08-05-2017, 12:26 AM   #10
firus

I have got old kdialog version. With kde neon everything works. Mint 18.2 or kubuntu 17.04 version of kdialog does not know desktopfile option

Thanks again.

Tags
calibre, kde, linux, solved