Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > EPUBReader

Notices

Old 01-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Cool Could this EPUBReader plugin be used on existing e-ink devices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Congratulations on a very nice, functional and warranted add-on!

I wonder if this approach/code could be added to some browser's that work on the iLiad or Kindle (if they are Mozilla based). This way these hardware ebook readers could have (unencrypted) .epub support without requiring a firmware upgrade.
In the original thread posting of EPUBReader (now closed), I had wondered if this plugin could be "installed" on any existing ebook readers that support porting of additional web browsers (or at the least have an internal browser).

Any insights from our iLiad/Kindle Developer community or mikelv, if this is feasible?

It would open up the world of .epub ebooks for the iLiad and/or Kindle!

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-11-2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: added links
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
In the original thread posting of EPUBReader (now closed), I had wondered if this plugin could be "installed" on any existing ebook readers that support porting of additional web browsers (or at the least have an internal browser).

Any insights from our iLiad/Kindle Developer community or mikelv, if this is feasible?

It would open up the world of .epub ebooks for the iLiad and/or Kindle!
Thanks for your posting nrapollo and sorry, that I obviously didn't answer your question in the initial thread.

Theoretically EPUBReader should run with a Mozilla/Gecko based browser which uses at least Gecko version 1.9.0 (which is used by Firefox 3.0). Except some minor problems, EPUBReader runs for example very well with Seamonkey 2.0 which is based on Gecko 1.9.1.
I've checked the list of browsers you have posted. The only Gecko based seems to be Minimo, but I can't imagine, that it uses Gecko 1.9.0, because Gecko 1.9.0 was released 2008 when development of Minimo had already stopped.

Did you ever try to run Firefox on the iLiad? If I'm right, Linux is running on the iLiad, so in general it should work. But probably the hardware of the iLiad is not sufficient for Firefox.

Last edited by mikelv; 01-12-2010 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Seamonkey experience added
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #3
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Thanks for those technical prerequisites for EPUBReader but I would think that a recent version prerequisite is a no-go for the iLiad which relies on a 2.4 Linux kernel. A Kindle, I believe, operates under a 2.6 linux kernel so it may be more plausible.

I haven't heard of nor seen Firefox on the iLiad, but take it from ericshliao's comments here that it would not be feasible; ericshliao has experience developing on the iLiad!

Perhaps we can revisit this when those who actually tinker with browsers on ebook readers can impart their wisdom; I for one cannot!

Thanks anyways!

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-11-2010 at 05:27 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote