Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 04-10-2019, 08:29 AM   #481
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
New theme thread.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:55 AM   #482
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nominations for June are open.
Advert
Old 06-02-2019, 07:19 AM   #483
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

The July nomination thread is up.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:11 AM   #484
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Nominations for August are open.
Old 07-20-2019, 05:12 PM   #485
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
A book that I know I want to nominate at some point, The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal, is $3 at US stores today if anyone is interested: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=2943

It is an alternate history science fiction story set in the 50's. A wonderful book with a lot of great characters and themes to it. Highly recommended even if we don't end up reading it here.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2019, 05:21 PM   #486
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Thanks for the heads up -- it's been on my list for a while but the wait at the library is 22 weeks at one, and even longer at the other. There's a WhisperSync Audible version, but unfortunately the narrator is the author, and I'm not sanguine about that.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:39 PM   #487
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Regarding the audio, I haven't heard this particular book but I do like Mary Robinette Kowal's audio work in general. She did some recordings for Kage Baker that were excellent. One is free on Subterranean Press' site if you want a sample: Rude Mechanicals, I actually heard them before I ever read any of her books. Total length is just under 3 hours. She is a professional puppeteer in addition to an author so she does know how to speak/read/perform better than most.
Old 07-21-2019, 12:53 AM   #488
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good to know. I'll try a sample and see how it goes.
Old 07-21-2019, 06:49 AM   #489
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
A book that I know I want to nominate at some point, The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal, is $3 at US stores today if anyone is interested: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=2943

It is an alternate history science fiction story set in the 50's. A wonderful book with a lot of great characters and themes to it. Highly recommended even if we don't end up reading it here.
When astrangerhere mentioned it, I put the prequel, The Lady Astronaut of Mars on hold at the library. It's hit my account; I should get to it soon.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:23 PM   #490
Dazrin
Wizard

The Lady Astronaut of Mars is also available here: https://www.tor.com/2013/09/11/the-l...onaut-of-mars/

Although it isn't a prequel. It takes place after the first two novels. It was written and published first though. It does have some minor changes from the novels.

Last edited by Dazrin; 07-21-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:02 PM   #491
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Although it isn't a prequel. It takes place after the first two novels. It was written and published first though. It does have some minor changes from the novels.
Thanks for the correction; obviously I reversed things.

So long as it was written first, no harm will be done if I read it first, I suppose. There's almost never an ideal situation to books written out of chronological order.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:18 AM   #492
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

The September nomination thread is up and running.

So catch it!
Old 08-06-2019, 12:09 PM   #493
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
A general comment. One of the things I heartily dislike is the lag between nomination/voting and discussion, in part because it's interrupted by consideration of a different topic and book. When I find interesting books on a topic, I want to read them right away, not six weeks later, after I've looked for books on a completely different topic.

Maybe the discussion threads could be opened right away, with spoiler tags liberally used for anything substantive.

Last edited by issybird; 08-06-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Moved the post to the current thread and the quoted posts weren't relevant to the thread.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:11 PM   #494
CRussel
(he/him/his)

I understand where you're coming from, Catlady. I know how we got to this point -- a desire to make sure we provided sufficient time for participants to acquire the book (Library waiting lists can be an issue!), and read it. But it is a disconnect, especially when one is all excited about one or more books that have just been nominated and/or selected. Not sure what the answer is, exactly, but worthy of more discussion, I think, based on our experiences.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:21 PM   #495
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Maybe one option would be to open the discussion thread a week after the book is chosen, on the understanding that several people might not get there for a while, which makes a discussion difficult.

I tend to wait until about the beginning of the month before starting the book, unless it’s a long one, and I find that works pretty well. There’s always something waiting to be read in the intervening fortnight!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote