Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-13-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Sharp unveils new 3D LCD screen

crossposted from The Digital Reader

Sharp announced their newest invention Saturday. It’s a prototype 10″ LCD screen that can create a 3D effect without glasses. Not that I said prototype; it’s not in production yet. Details are sparse; all we know at this point is that it has a touchscreen and that you can switch between 2D and 3D at the touch of a button.

Supposedly this new screen is being touted for e-reading; I don’t see how that would be useful. Video, certainly, but I think the 3D effect would get in the way of reading.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
The only thing 3D would be useful for in an ebook would be if it was graphic intensive - perhaps a children's book, an art book, or a text book. Otherwise, what's the point? Perhaps they'll also market it as an image storage device.

The 10" screen is very nice but unless it allows for a lot of formats, it's not going to be as useful as it could be. Though it'll probably do .pdf's well.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
Fith
Enthusiast
Fith began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60
A Pop-Up book or perhaps braille?
Fith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
If the device doesn't require glasses it probably uses paralax barier. One of the (many) drawbacks is poor 2D image. For reading it's probably the worst imaginable solution.
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
3d displays tend to sacrifice half the resolution (usually in the time domain, but alternately horizontally) to achieve their 3d effect.
It may be that they've gone with a very high resolution LCD matrix that can do something like 300dpi in 2D mode.
Sounds more like a gimmick as far as reading goes but...
(shrug)
Maybe they can wow us...
Been a while since the last "true wow!" gadget.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fith View Post
A Pop-Up book or perhaps braille?
Pop-up book? I was going to make that joke! Braille? Uh...
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Pop-up book? I was going to make that joke! Braille? Uh...
Me too, on both counts

As was mentioned, 3D would be most suited for videos and movies and maybe some art and graphics uses. For general use on a tablet I don't really get it. Certainly 3D would do nothing for the reading experience, at least not in anyway I can envision.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:00 PM   #8
t-town
Connoisseur
t-town began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Yeah let's get blind people to see Braille displayed IN 3D on this screen...
I think this thing is excellent for an Ipad-alike device, nice for 3D games and video (not for reading of course...)
t-town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
I don't think it out of the question that there will be eventually braille ebook readers, though-- based on something similar to this:

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/04...hscreen_popup/

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/30/s...screen-patent/
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:36 PM   #10
Bluebaize
Enthusiast
Bluebaize doesn't litterBluebaize doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-town View Post
I think this thing is excellent for an Ipad-alike device, nice for 3D games and video (not for reading of course...)
I first saw this mentioned for games (not this size though) for the new Nintendo DS handheld. Apparently they are looking at 3D for their next iteraton of this portable gaming platform.

Anything 3D in the near future is going to be more gimmick than practical or beneficial in a true sense of moving a viewing device forward.

Books need to stay as books with just words on the page as far as I am concerned otherwise it just detracts from the whole concept and depth of reading quietly to oneself (and for stories using your own imagination for the characters and places)
Bluebaize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:43 AM   #11
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
I've read reviews that said, the 'story was so good that it just seemed to jump off the page'. Maybe now, it will be literaly true.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:46 PM   #12
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Very cool. Entirely useless but if they can transfer this to full-size TVs it'll be a massive hit. I know I and many others won't buy a 3D TV that needs the expensive glasses. It's too limiting for such an expensive investment.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:12 PM   #13
Semblance
Semblance began at the beginning.

Device: none
This might help with certain, err, ummm, men's magazines.
Semblance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:34 AM   #14
wmac
wmac began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I wish they would first offer a 2D version and then proceed with 3D. If sharp could offer a slate PC it could be great.

Even though I do not like apple and I was waiting for HP slate, I think I'll go with iPad. I do not understand why neither of these huge companies has come up with a competitor?
wmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #15
Gem
Gem began at the beginning.

Device: Still not sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semblance View Post
This might help with certain, err, ummm, men's magazines.
FUND IT!
Gem is offline   Reply With Quote