Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
MichaelMSeattle
Enthusiast
MichaelMSeattle began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505/600
how do I set specific tags when fetching news

Hi,
Is it possible to set specific tags when fetching news using a custom recipe? I've tried setting the "__author__" tags and fiddled around with the "extra tags" tab, but when the recipe runs, the author tag is always set as "calibre"
What is the correct process?

Thanks,
-Mike
MichaelMSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
use the advanced tab in the fetch news dialog
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
MichaelMSeattle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
use the advanced tab in the fetch news dialog
Thanks for replying, but I suppose my question was what text should I enter in the extra tags text box in order to update the author or any other tag.
I've tried author='authorname' and author:'authorname', but neither works.
Can you please elaborate.
Thanks,
-Mike
Old 04-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelMSeattle View Post
Thanks for replying, but I suppose my question was what text should I enter in the extra tags text box in order to update the author or any other tag.
I've tried author='authorname' and author:'authorname', but neither works.
Can you please elaborate.
Thanks,
-Mike
"Author" isn't a "tag," it's a field in the database. You can add the author's name to the tags, but that doesn't change the author field in the db. The extra tags box just contains a comma separated list of tags you want added.

You also can't "update" tags. Tags are simply words/char strings separated by commas. They either are or are not in that list. They don't have contents the way database fields do.

Your real question is how to control what gets entered into the author field. The default author is "calibre" and if there is a control to change that, I don't know where it is located.

Last edited by Starson17; 04-05-2010 at 01:51 PM.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you want to change the author of a recipe, you have to edit the recipe and set

__author__
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
MichaelMSeattle
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you want to change the author of a recipe, you have to edit the recipe and set

__author__
Thanks, both of you. I appreciate your help with this.

However, it appears setting the value of "__author__" doesn't seem to work and always defaults to "calibre". I've noticed this in many of the pre-defined recipes as well as custom ones. That's why I was asking if there was another method.
I've tried it with "__author__" , "_author_", and just "author" to be sure and each time it returns "calibre".

Thanks,
-Mike
Old 04-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You mean the author in the metadata, that cant be changed.