Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Post Sony Library in Regards to Full Epub Support

Good day everyone. I was under the impression that some time ago Sony made a commitment that all books in their store would be in the Epub format exclusively. Yet months have gone by, and there is not a book I've found that is actually in the Epub format. I was wondering if anyone has heard any news on when Sony is going to actually follow through with the commitment they made, or was I grossly misinformed?

Here's a few links regarding the issue, though I couldn't find the official Sony press release.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/13/s...ffer-epub-tit/

http://surchur.com/all/epub+format

P.S. Sony, if any of your representatives read this, no 'drm-strippable-epub' = no purchases from your store. Happy Black Friday Sony.
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abisha View Post
Good day everyone. I was under the impression that some time ago Sony made a commitment that all books in their store would be in the Epub format exclusively.
Yes - they said they'd do it by the end of the year. Is it the end of the year yet?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes - they said they'd do it by the end of the year. Is it the end of the year yet?
Fair enough. Although it depends on which calendar you choose to use. Thank you for the reply. I did perform a web-search before I posted here and was unable to find Sony's official release statement. So thanks, it is good to know. I suppose that is probably the motivation behind the PRS-500 firmware update. Anyways, thanks again for the reply.

-Abisha
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The last word on the matter from Sony was in the PRS-500 firmware upgrade offer, in which they say:

Quote:
Sony will soon be converting The eBook Store library platform from BBeB eBook format to the industry-standard ePub format. This transition will take effect in mid-December, 2009.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote