Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Other Books

Notices

Old 08-09-2009, 01:37 PM   #1
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
Verne, Jules: 20000 Leagues Under the Sea. v1. 9 Aug 2009

This is an ebook specially created for any electronic reading device using a 6" screen that can read pdf. Used font: Caecilia.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Verne, Jules - 20000 Leagues under the Sea.pdf (1.45 MB, 9585 views)
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
It looks good! Thanks, Burliburd!
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 01:53 AM   #3
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
You did a decent job overall. I'm not an especially big fan of Caecilia and find Chaparral to be more readable, but it's not a bad font. I'm curious why you used artificials instead of actual italics...do you have a legitimate version of the Caecilia font?

I have yet to see any books or body text done in Caecilia particularly well though, so it's certainly nothing personal. Seems it'd be decent for technical manuals or corporate documents and headers, but it's not particularly well-suited to literature body text.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:23 AM   #4
Burliburd
Enthusiast
Burliburd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, iPod Touch
Thanks for the feedback LDBoblo. I haven't realised I was using artificials. I forgot to copy all the font files into the Windows Fonts folder. I get back to work for version 2.
Burliburd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:10 AM   #5
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burliburd View Post
Thanks for the feedback LDBoblo. I haven't realised I was using artificials. I forgot to copy all the font files into the Windows Fonts folder. I get back to work for version 2.
No problem. I went and tried to set up a few books in Caecilia, and the trick to getting it working alright is to give it some wide leading (line spacing). For me, Caecilia Roman is a very big, rather dark, dense typeface that suffers at big sizes if it's not given some room. If you're going to run it at a (relatively) large size like 10pt, you will probably want to give it something around 15pt leading. I gave it a shot at 8pt with 12.5-13pt leading and it is highly readable (and to my liking since I don't like particularly big text). For any size, white space is as important as the black space.

Further, since it's such a broad face on such a narrow page, I found that giving it just a bit of a squeeze, condensing it down to perhaps to 98% or 96% improves paragraph readability a good bit. Also, with the slightly narrower face, you can make the leading ever so slightly less and fit more on the page. Double benefit.

For me, the magic setting was 8pt text, 12pt leading, condensed 96% That may be a bit small if you like reading bigger text. Size can be adjusted to taste. At 9pt, I liked 13.5pt leading, and with 10pt, I liked 14.5 and 15pt leading.

Hope that helps
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
It looks nice. I have been wondering how the Caecilia font would look on the Reader and how a PDF would behave. This is too small for my taste, but it looks good.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote