Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-11-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Thumbs down Found a PDF Kindle DX Won't Read

Gary Gygax's Extraordinary Book of Names by Malcolm Bowers

Application: Adobe PageMaker 6.5
Producer: Acrobat Distiller 5.0 (Windows)
PDF Version 1.4 (Acrobat 4.x)

Security Method: No Security
Can be Opened by: All versions of Acrobat

Printing: Allowed
Document Assembly: Not Allowed
Content Copying: Allowed
Content Copying for Accessibility: Allowed
Page Extraction: Allowed
Commenting: Not Allowed
Filling of form fields: Allowed
Signing: Not Allowed
Creation of Template Pages: Not Allowed

The DX says opening page one, then presents a blank page, page 1 of 0.

Last edited by sirbruce; 06-11-2009 at 07:56 PM.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:37 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1.1 (Acrobat 2.x) - displays fine
1.2 (Acrobat 3.x) - displays fine
1.3 (Acrobat 4.x) - displays fine
1.4 (Acrobat 4.x) - doesn't display
1.4 (Acrobat 5.x) - displays fine
1.5 (Acrobat 6.x) - displays fine
1.6 (Acrobat 7.x) - displays fine

I don't have another of the odd 1.4 (4.x) files to test, but I'll look for one.
Advert
Old 06-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur

I can't find any more of these mysterious 1.4 files that are stamped 4.x rather than 5.x. There are a few references to them on the web. I think it might be a revision issue; a 1.3 file created in 4.x, later updated to 1.4.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:30 AM   #4
sirbruce
Provocateur

Okay, an update:

First, it was 1.4 (Acrobat 5.x) all along. I don't know why I thought it said 4.x. I'm an idiot I guess.

Anyway, the file still didn't work. However, I used Calibre to update the metadata for PDF, author and title. And guess what? The new copy works. So, yay!

Still, why the first file does not work, I don't know.