Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-01-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
maynard
Connoisseur
maynard began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, iLiad, Entourage Edge
html tree via wget -> epub (or other format)

I have an HTML tree of a large document obtained via wget set to recursive mode. Various systems I've seen to convert all seem to only handle a single file, however, this is a directory tree of files with a single table of contents. How do I convert that into an ebook?

I'm using a Macintosh with OS X 10.5. But I also have Windows XP if that's necessary. This would be going to an iRex iLiad and/or a Sony PRS 505.

Thanks a bunch for any advice! -M
maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
maynard
Connoisseur

Answer: Adobe Acrobat 6 successfully did a recursive conversion of the entire wget tree and produced a readable PDF for the iRex iLiad. Now to get it on the PRS 505...

EDIT: BTW... Acrobat 8 failed miserably in that conversion. Twice now I've seen Acrobat 6 outperform Acrobat 8. Go figure.
Advert
Old 05-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Iirc, you can convert it to epub using Calibre's html2epub as long as you're using relative links.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:13 PM   #4
maynard
Connoisseur

That's useful. I'll give it a try. I created a PDF of the Condon Report (old study on the validity of UFOs) from a skeptics web site. I'd like to convert it to epub to move to my PRS 505 too though. And perhaps there are others that might want a copy of it. It's in the public domain, so there are no copyright issues.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As long as the ToC file has links to all the other files, then you can use it to make an ePub for your 505 using Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert