Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-13-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The Art of Racing in the Rain

I have seen there are lots of dog owners/lovers on this site and thought this would be a good book to recommend to the members here.

The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein

Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television extensively, and by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver.

Through Denny, Enzo has gained tremendous insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn't simply about going fast. Using the techniques needed on the race track, one can successfully navigate all of life's ordeals.

On the eve of his death, Enzo takes stock of his life, recalling all that he and his family have been through. Having learned what it takes to be a compassionate and successful person, the wise canine can barely wait until his next lifetime, when he is sure he will return as a man.

A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life . . . as only a dog could tell it.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
Acataloger
Retired library cataloger
Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'Acataloger has never once had to say 'it's on the tip of my tongue...'

Device: PRS-T2 ; Kindle Paperwhite Manga; Fire HD 10; Huawei Honor 8
I agree completely. I listened to it as an audiobook during my lengthy commute and loved it. BTW, it's available at the Sony Store for $11.99.
Acataloger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2011, 06:06 PM   #3
Rtturvwsxmavpduc
Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Highly recommend the audiobook. The narrator delivers a superb performance.
Rtturvwsxmavpduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
FatDog
Witless protection Agent
FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FatDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any other books you can recommend from a Dog or Cat's point of view? I dont want serial mysteries where the cats call their owner "Mom" or cutie stuff. But books where the animal observes things from an outside point of view.

There was a Dean Koontz book where a ultra-smart dog escapes from a lab but the rest of the story is classic Koontz like a insane mother who hates her daughter and abuses her - too dark.

Just something that observes his pack members from a non-human point of view.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:42 AM   #5
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
It's not exactly the same as Garth Stein but you might want to consider Flush by Virginia Woolf. The story is about Elizabeth Barrett Browning's spaniel. Another good book about authors and their dogs is Shaggy Muses by Maureen Adams. It turns out a lot of authors' dogs have seemed to help them work.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Schnauzermom
Schnauzermom began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I loved this book...if you enjoyed it, you might also like A Dog's Purpose, by W. Bruce Cameron.
Schnauzermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
Rtturvwsxmavpduc
Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rtturvwsxmavpduc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not easily located (unless you look on the Internet), Olaf Stapledon wrote an extraordinary book titled Sirius. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_(novel) I read it about 40 years ago and it still resonates today. Recommended with reservation as the story is classified as 'science fiction' by some. Truth be told, the core premise of a dog authoring a book as in The Art of Racing in the Rain is fantasy too.

Last edited by Rtturvwsxmavpduc; 08-05-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Rtturvwsxmavpduc is offline   Reply With Quote