Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #31
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I find the human manipulation of what time it gets light/dark to be a very silly practice, but it doesn't really physically affect me at all. Clocks/computers that update themselves are a godsend in that regard. They allow me to completely ignore that time is being "changed."
i'd go one step further and would prefer to use a single universal clock for everyone on earth (and using military time as well). by default, this would be GMT. people will complain about it being confusing to say that noon in california is 20:00. but it's just a matter of getting used to it. the benefit of this is that there is no confusion and no clarification needed when someone in the u.s. mentions the time to someone in europe (or anywhere else to anywhere else for that matter).
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #32
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I don't see why military time should be necessary, though.

It isn't all that difficult to say "8:00 PM", which is just as unambiguous as "20:00".
People who say "8:00" are clearly just lazy.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #33
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post

It isn't all that difficult to say "8:00 PM", which is just as unambiguous as "20:00".
I say "I don't know". It's easier than trying to figure out where Mickey's hands are pointing.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:45 PM   #34
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I say "I don't know". It's easier than trying to figure out where Mickey's hands are pointing.
Do kids even learn how to tell time on an analog clock anymore?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #35
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Do kids even learn how to tell time on an analog clock anymore?
Good question. Digital clocks, velcro shoes, thumb typing... today's skill sets.
Advert
Old 10-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #36
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Hubby's a retired firefighter... the kids learned military time very early on from the scanners that are all around the house.

School teacher daughter has taught analog time, but said it doesn't seem to be used much at home from the (very informal) surveys she's done.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:04 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

Why do you call it "military time"? The 24h clock is used in virtually every country in the world as being clear and unambiguous. There's nothing "military" about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 03:22 AM   #38
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why do you call it "military time"? The 24h clock is used in virtually every country in the world as being clear and unambiguous. There's nothing "military" about it.
Because the military was pretty much the primary user of the 24 hour clock here in the colonies.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:23 AM   #39
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Because the military was pretty much the primary user of the 24 hour clock here in the colonies.
Just seems exceedingly odd to me not to use the 24h clock for things like timetables. I travel all over the world, and US airports are the only ones I've ever been to where the departure screens show times as "am/pm" rather than in 24h time.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:15 AM   #40
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Just seems exceedingly odd to me not to use the 24h clock for things like timetables. I travel all over the world, and US airports are the only ones I've ever been to where the departure screens show times as "am/pm" rather than in 24h time.
Then maybe it's the rest of the world that's out of step?
Old 10-27-2015, 10:20 AM   #41
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, it's not the only thing we do differently.

All you can say, really, is that the inconsistency leads to confusion -- particularly for, say, foreign travelers.
It's not that I have any particular objection to the idea of using it (beyond "darn you to heck for making me have to learn a new way to tell time"), but I had to say something once @rem736 suggested it was as important as a universal time period for the sake of avoiding confusion...

Quote:
Then maybe it's the rest of the world that's out of step?
Also this.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #42
glos
Zealot
glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.glos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I've never understood (and remembered) if you (USA people) say 12AM or 12PM for noon. same for midnight. If i think about it it probably should be 12M for noon precisely.
still, i'm constantly confused by it. Just like I'm confused by the date system. 9/11 to me is november, it drives me crazy
glos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #43
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

AM is the first half of the day, PM is the second half of the day.
So 12AM is the start of the day, and 12PM is Noon.

Dates are hopeless though.
BOTH 9/11 and 11/9 are valid, in different locations...
Old 10-27-2015, 12:32 PM   #44
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by glos View Post
I've never understood (and remembered) if you (USA people) say 12AM or 12PM for noon. same for midnight. If i think about it it probably should be 12M for noon precisely
Conventionally, 12PM is midday and 12AM is midnight. But to avoid confusion(!) it's probably best to use 12 noon and 12 midnight instead of AM/PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 01:06 PM   #45
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
AM is the first half of the day, PM is the second half of the day.
So 12AM is the start of the day, and 12PM is Noon.

Dates are hopeless though.
BOTH 9/11 and 11/9 are valid, in different locations...
Do you mean that for the 9th of November, parts of the US use 9/11/15 and others use 11/9/15?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dst, kindle, wifi