Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #196
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
Current result:
on the Home screen, I can only see a Kobo book that I started and the last shelves I created (with books on the SD card). The last book I was reading (sideloaded epub on SD card) doesn't show.
workaround : open the library, search the book and open it, then go back to home screen, the book is back, but as soon as the device shuts down, and you start it again, the same thing happens (it's now with 3 different books, so I don't think it's book-related).
This worked perfectly for me when I was using 2.6.1. It actually sounds like the database is corrupt. Does the reading position get remembered across the power off and on?
Quote:
And another one : the font still changes with every knew chapter (get bigger).
Again, I didn't see this with 2.6.1.
Quote:
And another : I can't remove the page number in the right margin even if the box is not checked in the parameters...
When you set that option on the device, it should write the line "readingAdobeShowPageNumbers=false" in the "Reading" section of the "Kobo eReader.conf". Is it there?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #197
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
First question : Yes : no problem to get back where I left my reading, even if I let the device go to sleep by itself

Third question : I'll have a look at that tonight at home and give you the answer

Thank you for your help
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #198
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
First question : Yes : no problem to get back where I left my reading, even if I let the device go to sleep by itself
The problem won't happen with sleep. It will be after a power off. While running, the firmware works of a an in memory copy of the database. If it is corrupt, the writes to it don't work properly. When you power off and on, the database is reread but it will be an old version of the data. The information for the tiles is stored in the database, and it sounds like that table is corrupt. Storing the reading position is also a common problem with a corrupt database.

You can also check the database with a SQLite browser. Or, if you use calibre, my Kobo Utilities plugin has a check option.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #199
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yes I meant : when the device goes to sleep and then off (I set it to go to sleep after 10 mn and to power itself off after 15 mn). When it shuts down, the cover of the books I was reading doesn't show the next time I power it on.

Where do I find Kobo utilities plugin ? From now on, I have to run Calibre with my mini PC that run with Ubuntu, I don't even know if Calibre keeps up to date, it never asks to update, but I don't check every update that are asked by the system quite every day.

What if I signed out and then on again et afterward put back my SD card to clear all and rebuilt the database ?

As for the page number in the right margin : I checked the box, returned to my reading : the page number was gone (it should have been the contrary), I returned in the parameters, unchecked the box et resume reading : all was ok. Then I had to work a bit (my boss is adamant about this ) and when I powered it on again, the page numbre was back...
Old 07-22-2013, 02:18 PM   #200
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The problem won't happen with sleep. It will be after a power off. While running, the firmware works of a an in memory copy of the database. If it is corrupt, the writes to it don't work properly. When you power off and on, the database is reread but it will be an old version of the data. The information for the tiles is stored in the database, and it sounds like that table is corrupt. Storing the reading position is also a common problem with a corrupt database.

You can also check the database with a SQLite browser. Or, if you use calibre, my Kobo Utilities plugin has a check option.
I have similar problems with the covers and I never power off and my database checks out okay with your utilities. This is on my MIni with 2.6.1. I had this problem(s) a while back and it went away with 2.5.1 and now it is back. My ADE numbers go on and off correctly though.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2013, 01:27 AM   #201
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
yes I meant : when the device goes to sleep and then off (I set it to go to sleep after 10 mn and to power itself off after 15 mn). When it shuts down, the cover of the books I was reading doesn't show the next time I power it on.

Where do I find Kobo utilities plugin ? From now on, I have to run Calibre with my mini PC that run with Ubuntu, I don't even know if Calibre keeps up to date, it never asks to update, but I don't check every update that are asked by the system quite every day.
You can install it from within calibre. Open the preferences, go to plugins and then press "Get new plugins". That will list the available plugins that haven't been installed. Not having calibre up to date could be a problem. The plugin requires 0.9.20 or later. But, you want that for newer Kobo driver functions. I'm not much of a linux user, so I can't help with why you haven't seen the update notices. Unless the check has been turned off in the preferences.
Quote:
What if I signed out and then on again et afterward put back my SD card to clear all and rebuilt the database ?
That would be a good idea. That would give you a new database and should get rid of the problems. The only issue is that you lose the reading status of your sideloaded books. Which is something the utilities plugin can help with.
Quote:
As for the page number in the right margin : I checked the box, returned to my reading : the page number was gone (it should have been the contrary), I returned in the parameters, unchecked the box et resume reading : all was ok. Then I had to work a bit (my boss is adamant about this ) and when I powered it on again, the page numbre was back...
The only thing I can think of is that the config file isn't being saved and read properly. And the only reason I can think of for that is that there is a problem with the file system. And if there is, that might explain the database problems as well. Can you do a check on it when connected to a PC?
Old 07-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #202
vice-versa
whippet addict

First thing first : I updated calibre and installed the kobo utilities.
After that, I copied all I had on my SD card in my calibre library.
I powered my glo off and got the SD card out. I powered my device again on and sign out. It restarted and decided to update (so now, I'm with the 2.8.1 firmware) and only after that could I sign in again. I turned it off, inserted my SD card and repowered it. I'll see how it turns (I have seen, that previously that I put my SD card back inside its slot, the shelves where already there, so...) Now, I'll see how it behaves and how I'm to sync my calibre library with my kobo's (hoping the books will be put automatically in their shelves or I think I'll die before making it by hand).

I'll keep you informed on how it goes

Last edited by vice-versa; 07-23-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #203
vice-versa
whippet addict

the bug about the tile contening my currently reading book on my SD card seems to be fixed by the 2.8.1 firmware
Old 07-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #204
vice-versa
whippet addict

I spoke too early... The two bugs (tile of the last book read on the SD card not showing after powering off and on again) and page number in right margin showing even when not asked are still there. I began a new book (I was 8% in it when the update happened) so I don't know if it's book related or not, but base on my previous experience with those bugs, I'd rather think it's not related. I can cope with that for the moment, but if there was a solution to worabout... At least, no more font size change with every knew chapter (for the moment)
Old 07-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #205
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
*** Solved in 2.8.1 ***

Bug: Unexpected locale causes italic text to be displayed as bold with some fonts
Device: Glo
From Firmware: 2.2.0 (fine in 2.1.5)

@viceversa: I've not understood if you have checked the database as suggested by peterfor.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #206
vice-versa
whippet addict

in fact I haven't checked the database, as I signed out and the in again so to get a brand new database. All my books were put back on the SD card via calibre (to put them on my shelves directly, not having to do it manually)

I just tried this : go to the library, choose display by cover and swipe to find my book cover without opening it. Go back at the home screen : the tile with my currently reading book on the SD card is back...

Last edited by vice-versa; 07-24-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: something new to add
Old 07-24-2013, 03:51 PM   #207
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post

@viceversa: I've not understood if you have checked the database as suggested by peterfor.
Noo....... Me and Davidfor now combined into one entity!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #208
vice-versa
whippet addict

this combination would be a great improvement for all of us that depend on you two to use our kobo with more ease
Old 07-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #209
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
this combination would be a great improvement for all of us that depend on you two to use our kobo with more ease
Then they could descend on Kobo in a great winged chariot and smite all the bugs.

(oops undocumented features)

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:19 PM   #210
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Noo....... Me and Davidfor now combined into one entity!
To steal a quote from Kobo: OH THE HUMANITY!!!!
robko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocket app