Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #16
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Once a while you get a good deal from the ad, not all bad. My Kindles don't have ad, sometimes I was sad because my friends bragged about ...
Old 10-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #17
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapash View Post
Frankelr, thanks for your kind words and tips. Just to point a finger into their eyes, whoever says this forum is for cultured people only, how come they allow this post and encourage to go on..... Shame... And unbelievable..... All pretender...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=139279
You keep using that word, I don't think you know what it means haha. Cultured = too cheap to pay $20 to remove ads?
Advert
Old 10-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #18
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
I thought so, I thought there is cultured people here and who knows how to welcome people and share their thoughts...... But.....
Um, you are asking people how to avoid paying $20 and you are slanging off at others?

I'm betting you just slanged-off one of the cultured people....

Last edited by Pushka; 10-01-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #19
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
The only way to get from MobileRead to your conclusion is via Apple Maps.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #20
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Quote:
I thought so, I thought there is cultured people here and who knows how to welcome people and share their thoughts...... But.....
now you know. The only people allowed at MR are the pious ones who do no wrong, although this community does support all forms of hacking, and unofficially supports DRM removal
Advert
Old 10-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
There's a world of difference between hacking your own property, or protecting your literary investment by removing malicious code that renders your library useless should the powers-that-be decide to no longer support your books' format, and theft of services. If you want to consider me as having a "holier than thou" attitude because I consider it wrong to steal a company's bandwidth or cheat them out of revenue because you removed ads which subsidized the price of the device, so be it. I can assure you I'm no angel, but forgive me for my outdated notion that it's wrong to steal things that cost other people money.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 10-02-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #22
digimuzik
Bus Geek
digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digimuzik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I, for one, would love to know how to remove the screensaver-based ads but keep the homepage ads. I love my customized screensavers (on old K3), but I wouldn't mind receiving special offers from my homepage. (It'd be nice if this was an option for the non-SO or SO-fee-paid Kindles)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #23
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
@WT Sharpe: But letting your SO kindle sit in a drawer or on a shelf unused deprives amazon of their special offers revenue just as much as defeating SO and using it on your own wifi. From that perspective, not using your SO kindle is just as bad as disabling SO because it also deprives them of POTENTIAL revenue.

But theft of paid bandwidth by 3G tethering is certainly outright theft because it steals REAL revenue paid by amazon to the 3G service providers.

Morally, there is a world of difference between potential revenue and real revenue. After all, the gazillions of dollars "stolen" from the media moguls with P2P software do not even exist in the pockets of the teenagers that download MP3s and movies, so it is not really "lost" revenue. "Lost" sales that would never have been made anyway is not true theft because it deprives nobody of anything. I have purchased many CDs (I have more than one thousand commercial CDs in my collection) only AFTER I discovered them on a P2P network and liked their previously unfamiar music. P2P certainly functions as free advertising in some cases (at least for those who believe in supporting the creators of their preferred media). I also donate for free software when I find it useful, to encourage more of the same. Monetary karma, if you will...

The point is, be sure to support the creation of more of what you like, and avoid behavior that will make good things go away.

@digimuzik: The SO-removal hacks that work on 5.1.2 firmware will be updated to 5.2.0 on the Paperwhite by those who are into that sort of thing.

Last edited by geekmaster; 10-02-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This thread should be closed. It has no purpose in being left open.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #25
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
geekmaster, I see what you're saying, but the people who are really being hurt are those who have played by the rules and abided by the TOS. Removing the ads from ad-subsidized devices doesn't hurt the company because they're not going to suffer loss of revenue, potential or otherwise. That cost will be passed onto its customers; and as one of those customers, I don't care for practices that take money out of my pocket.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #26
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Mobileread Moderation Team disapproves of and does not condone circumventing the display of advertisements in advertisement-subsidized devices.

I think all has been said that needs to be said on this topic.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread