Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-09-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
angus77
angus77 began at the beginning.

Device: none
E-paper reader that displays vertical Japanese in non-proprietary format

I really want to get an e-reader with an electronic paper display, but I really want to be able to read Japanese on it. Sony's readers display Japanese properly (vertically), but it seems like it only does that with their own proprietary filetype (am I wrong?)
angus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unfortunately the most popular ebook formats, ePub and Mobipocket, do not support vertical writing systems.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus77 View Post
Sony's readers display Japanese properly (vertically), but it seems like it only does that with their own proprietary filetype (am I wrong?)
There are convertors to those proprietary Sony formats - lrs and lrf.
The very first e-ink reader in the world was Sony Librié. Librié was usually depicted displaying text in vertical format, I think.

The vast majority of e-ink devices out there will display Japanese in vertical format, as long as it is in pdf.
You usually hear that pdf is not suitable format for e-ink readers and that is because the vast majority of pdf files are formatted for A4 or Letter sized medium. If you convert your text to pdf with pagesize 90x110mm (for 6" screen size, considering status line), it will display just perfect on most readers.

Create one such pdf and upload it here and we can test it for you, so you see it really works. I can test it on PocketBook device.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:54 AM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
There is a PDF file of a Chinese classic, 紅樓夢 (dream of the red mansion) uploaded here in the PDF books section. That one is displayed in the traditional Chinese way, in columns, starting at the top right corner. It works on my Kindle DXG.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
There are programs that will take Japanese text files (usually those formatted like the Aozora Bunko files) and convert them into vertically formatted PDFs optimized for Kindle. Try searching in Japanese.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What about the Japanese T1?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
charmian
Addict
charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charmian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW2
JSWolf: the T1's vertical text display uses the proprietary LRF format. Epub and mobi do not currently support vertical text, although epub 3.0 will, I hear. However that standard has not yet been released. So currently if you want to read text vertically you either need to use LRF or convert to PDF.

angus77: what exactly do you want to read, though? You will need to buy your books from somewhere, so I recommend looking at ebook stores to see what they recommend.
charmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmian View Post
JSWolf: the T1's vertical text display uses the proprietary LRF format.
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that the Japanese version of the T1 used XMDF; the format developed (as I'm sure you know) by Sharp specifically for displaying Japanese eBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #9
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you sure about that? I was under the impression that the Japanese version of the T1 used XMDF; the format developed (as I'm sure you know) by Sharp specifically for displaying Japanese eBooks.
The Japanese site lists XDMF support, and does not mention BBeB, so I think you might be right.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:16 AM   #10
angus77
angus77 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exasperating

I was mostly thinking of Aozora Bunko files. I've seen the converters online, but they require Windows (I'm one of those irritating Linux users [Debian]). Calibre was able to convert one of Aozora's files (and xhtml of Kokoro by Natsume Soseki) to PDF, including the ruby/furigana and everything, but not vertical. If Calibre is actually capable of doing vertical, please let me know!

I'm not so much worried about new books. I've looked around, and it seems like very few new (or otherwise under-copyright) Japanese books I'd be interested in reading are available in ebook format. Even someone like Murakami Haruki isn't available digitally (although it looks like just about everything he's written is available in English ebook editions).

Researching further, it looks like following its final ratification (?) in May, all the major Japanese vendors will be getting behind EPUB3. Exasperating, because I wanted to buy myself a reader for my birthday in April.
angus77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-paper, japanese, vertical