Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #76
Nyoxi
Connoisseur
Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.Nyoxi can talk all four legs off a donkey... then persuade it to go for a walk.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Re-built Busybox with inetd enabled.
I realy don't think this is necessary. And honestly I don't understand the whole idea behind using inetd. Why do you want to run network services on kindle? Do you raly need to? Either way this seems as something only a developer could make a use of, not a more common user.

[QUOTE
It would be better to use auFS than the posted "file overlay hack" but the kernel(s) in the Kindle(s) are too old for that.
[/QUOTE]

See my response in the overlay thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=13
Nyoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #77
murz_07
Connoisseur
murz_07 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch SO
I have installed Ubuntu on VM using VirtualBox.

Did anybody make Windows fastboot version work properly?

Last edited by murz_07; 02-29-2012 at 11:59 AM.
murz_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #78
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by murz_07 View Post
I didn't, but I just want to say, that on Ubuntu fastboot saw Kindle after HOLDING power button until LED changed color to green, when connected to USB and fastboot was waiting for device.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #79
murz_07
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostar View Post
I didn't, but I just want to say, that on Ubuntu fastboot saw Kindle after HOLDING power button until LED changed color to green, when connected to USB and fastboot was waiting for device.
My Kindle's LED never turns green. Never. When I hold power button it just turns off after 20 seconds. And Kindle dissappers fron device manager list.

Can it be some problem with VirtualBox? Maybe I didn't configure it right?

Last edited by murz_07; 02-29-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #80
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
I have installed Ubuntu on VM using VirtualBox.
For the linux VM to see the kindle, you need to assign it to the VM in the drop-down VirtualBox menu (Devices / USB Devices / Kindle [0001]). That will remove it from the host OS (no longer shown in Device Manager), and the linux VM should then see it.

A USB device can only be seen by the host OS -or- the VM (not both)...

And be sure to run fastboot as root (sudo) in linux, or it will not be fully functional.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-29-2012 at 12:56 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2012, 12:38 PM   #81
murz_07
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
For the linux VM to see the kindle, you need to assign it to the VM in the drop-down VirtualBox menu (Devices / USB Devices / Kindle [0004]). That will remove it from the host OS (no longer shown in Device Manager), and the linux VM should then see it.

A USB device can only be seen by the host OS -or- the VM (not both)...

And be sure to run fastboot as root (sudo) in linux, or it will not be fully functional.
I did what you said and Windows detected new hardware "Virtual .. USB .." or something like this. and wanted to install driver, which I dont have. After that VM shows me this:

Code:
Failed to attach the USB device Amazon Kindle [0001] to the virtual machine 42.

USB device 'Amazon Kindle' with UUID {60e9cd37-eac6-4909-a704-292fbaadbee1} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Result Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component: HostUSBDevice
Interface: IHostUSBDevice {173b4b44-d268-4334-a00d-b6521c9a740a}
Callee: IConsole {1968b7d3-e3bf-4ceb-99e0-cb7c913317bb}

Last edited by murz_07; 02-29-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:00 PM   #82
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I did what you said and Windows detected new hardware "Virtual .. USB .." or something like this. and wanted to install driver, which I dont have. After that VM shows me this:

Code:
Failed to attach the USB device Amazon Kindle [0001] to the virtual machine 42.

USB device 'Amazon Kindle' with UUID {60e9cd37-eac6-4909-a704-292fbaadbee1} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Result Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component: HostUSBDevice
Interface: IHostUSBDevice {173b4b44-d268-4334-a00d-b6521c9a740a}
Callee: IConsole {1968b7d3-e3bf-4ceb-99e0-cb7c913317bb}
You must have a windows program accessing your kindle. When it is assigned to the VM, the drop down menu in the VM should show a checkmark next to the Kindle device.

Do you see that checkmark? If not, click it to try attaching to it. Next, try unplugging the kindle USB and plugging it back in, then assign it to the VM. If that does not work, reboot the VM. If that does not work reboot the host PC.

You need to use basic debugging methods to isolate the problem so you can fix it, just like any other technical problem. There are technical books that can help you learn basic debugging skils.

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-29-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #83
murz_07
Connoisseur

Quote:
You must have a windows program accessing your kindle. When it is assigned to the VM, the drop down menu in the VM should show a checkmark next to the Kindle device.

Do you see that checkmark? If not, click it to try attaching to it. Next, try unplugging the kindle USB and plugging it back in, then assign it to the VM. If that does not work, reboot the VM. If that does not work reboot the host PC.

You need to use basic debugging methods to isolate the problem so you can fix it, just like any other technical problem. There are technical books that can help you learn basic debugging skils.
Yes, I understand that I'm really annoying
But I think that you have already done everything I want to do, so it will be way much faster to ask you.

I don't see checkmark. When I clicked "Devices - USB devices - Amazon Kindle [0001]" Kindle dissappeard from Windows device manager but I still can't see the checkmark.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #84
geekmaster

Quote:
Yes, I understand that I'm really annoying
But I think that you have already done everything I want to do, so it will be way much faster to ask you.

I don't see checkmark. When I clicked "Devices - USB devices - Amazon Kindle [0001]" Kindle dissappeard from Windows device manager but I still can't see the checkmark.
Not really annoying, but I have a short attention span...

If there is no checkmark next to the device, then the fastboot program in the VM cannot see the device. You need to click on it to turn the checkbox on or off. If you cannot do that, perhaps your VirtualBox settings need to be adjusted. It *should* work. It works for me.

Another option is to put fastboot on a usb stick, then boot from a LiveCD linux distro, and run fastboot from the usb stick. Some of those distros need the USB devices plugged in before you start them, or you have to tell them to scan for new devices. They are not all plug-and-play. Personally, I like Puppy Linux for a standalone boot CD (small, runs in RAM, and fast).

Last edited by geekmaster; 02-29-2012 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:37 AM   #85
murz_07
Connoisseur

Quote:
Not really annoying, but I have a short attention span...

If there is no checkmark next to the device, then the fastboot program in the VM cannot see the device. You need to click on it to turn the checkbox on or off. If you cannot do that, perhaps your VirtualBox settings need to be adjusted. It *should* work. It works for me.

Another option is to put fastboot on a usb stick, then boot from a LiveCD linux distro, and run fastboot from the usb stick. Some of those distros need the USB devices plugged in before you start them, or you have to tell them to scan for new devices. They are not all plug-and-play. Personally, I like Puppy Linux for a standalone boot CD (small, runs in RAM, and fast).
I finally got this bloody checkmark
Now I'm charging Kindle to try to flash diags partition.
But here is another problem - I can only charge it using USB and after about an hour of charging it works for about 1 minute.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:14 AM   #86
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
Quote:
I can only charge it using USB and after about an hour of charging it works for about 1 minute.
After least enough charging, boot to fastboot mode and continue charging. In fastboot battery charges much faster.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:26 AM   #87
murz_07
Connoisseur

Old 03-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #88
geekmaster

I see that it has a checkbox, and you are root. But lsusb shows the WRONG value. The kindle VID is 0x1949 (lab126), but the PID is NOT 0xd0d0 (fastboot mode).

You need to put your kindle into fastboot mode. That can be done with MfgTool and the custom profiles provided in the "Select Boot" thread. Then you will need to reselect it in the VirtualBox menu so it has a checkbox, just like you did here (but for the wrong kindle bootmode).

When you successfully get your kindle into fastboot mode and selected in the Devices menu of VirtualBox, fastboot should stop "waiting for device" and request the bootmode idme var from the kindle, then display it.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-01-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #89
geekmaster

UPDATE: You can download the touch diags mmcblk0p2.img.gz file with SSH pre-installed here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645 (at the bottom of the first post).

Extract it, then install it with:
sudo ./fastboot flash diags mmbclk0p2.img

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-01-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #90
Poetcop
Connoisseur
Poetcop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quick question: is it weird that my Kindle appears to leave fastboot mode (confirmed via hardware id) when I unplug the USB cable, or restart the computer? (plug it back in, no longer shows up on the device manager at all until I go through that whole process) It's thwarting my efforts to use the linux tool to communicate with it, since the MfgTool is PC only. I'm trying to figure out whether my lack of ability to communicate with it via the fastboot tool is due to it being in a weird state, or due to the binary I downloaded not working properly on my particular windows distribution.
Poetcop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle fastboot manifesto