Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
jana_leigh14
jana_leigh14 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Question Confused about library books! lol

Ok So I borrow library books through overdrive and my local library branch. What I don't really understand is why I have to wait in line to get a book, I mean if it's just a typed ebook why don't they just make more copies?! LOL that isn't my real question though.... I have 3 books borrowed and there is a little calendar beside each one saying how many days I had left, started at 14 and went down. then when it should have reached 0 it all of a sudden said 52. The book should have been returned but I am still able to read it, it just won't save the page that I was on (??? I just realized now that maybe that is why it is doing that) When I look on my library account online, it says that I no longer have the book out. but I still have it!!!! So does this mean that others can't check it out? I don't even know how to return it. I Just assumed it would do it automatically. SO CONFUSED!!!
jana_leigh14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #2
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
With regard to HOLDS - having an 'e-copy' of a book is the same as having a physical copy for libraries. If you look at it that, way - it makes more sense. In other words, they only have a licence to lend out 'x' number of copies of that one book at any given time (they probably have to pay for each ebook licence they have?).

As for as your DAYS LEFT you had on your Overdrive app...well, it SHOULD have said the book expired when it reached ZERO days, but something has gone wrong in your Overdrive app to re-calculate the days. Strange...but...bonus! Now you have more days - in case you didn't finish.

BUT...here's a tip for library book borrowers - and this may shed some light on why you can see that book on your Vox and not on your library account: After you've dowloaded your borrowed book to your Vox or Kobo, you can then open it up in ADE on your PC and 'return' it. Then, that opens a 'new' spot for you to borrow another book from the library, if you've reached your 5 book limit (or whatever yours is with your e-library) and some of your books 'on hold' have become available. I've done that a few times when a few of my held books have been available at the same time, and I already had 5 checked out.
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
No confusion at all. Your public library, fueled by your taxes, pays a fee to the publisher every time you borrow an ebook (or some similar payment system which recognises concurrent use). Just as your library has to buy 10 copies of a book to loan out to ten people at once (the 11th .. and 52nd ... have to wait in line), your library buys a certian number of ebook licenses and, when they are all in use, the rest of us wait in line.

You can rectify this: lobby your municipal council to tax the citizens more and hand larger annual grants to the library system.

Or, enjoy the library system by reserving and having a surprise title make its way to you in the future and, in the meantime, shop at kobobooks.com for something to read today.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
jana_leigh14

How do I open in on my PC in ADE? It is no longer on my items out on the website so I can't download it that way. Do I plug my vox into the computer or something?
Thank you for all of your help!
Old 11-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #5
jana_leigh14

Oh wait, I found ADE on my computer and started it up but it is still doing the same thing is has always done, when I type in my username and password (to authorize, and same thing happens if I choose not to authorize) it always says request expired and a bunch of other junk. I was able to sign in on my vox to read the books but not on the computer?! I e-mailed them and they never replied. What do you think?
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Library books are supposed to expire. You'll want to make sure your Vox and your computer are using the same Adobe authorization account (your email addy) and that they share the same date and time. Then, you ought to be able to read on more than one device since the borrowed copy is viewed as a single copy.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:37 PM   #7
yawar
yawar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Hi,

You can return a book from the OverDrive app by long-tapping it (which brings up the context menu), tapping `Delete', and choosing to Return as well as Delete when it gives you the choice.

Hope this helps.
yawar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
wwat
Enthusiast
wwat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by yawar View Post
Hi,
You can return a book from the OverDrive app by long-tapping it (which brings up the context menu), tapping `Delete', and choosing to Return as well as Delete when it gives you the choice.
Hope this helps.
I dont actually get the option to 'Return as well as Delete', only 'Delete'. Does anyone see the 'Return as well as Delete' option in Overdrive?

Thanks,
W.
wwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:22 AM   #9
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Tap on 'delete' and another box will open up with one of the options being to return.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:35 AM   #10
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I see a separate "Return Borrowed Item" choice on my menu. However, if you borrow and "Open ePub" (which means it has no DRM encryption), you can't return those early, in my experience. I've only had the option to return early for the "Adobe ePub" ebooks.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #11
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Return and delete works here.

I prefer to buy Kobo books as there is no Overdrive app on Playbook, perhaps they will make a par file in February; but my wife and kids use Overdrive a lot on the Vox.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:13 AM   #12
wwat
Enthusiast
wwat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, iPad, iPod
I see, so its dependant on the type of material. It was actually an audiobook that I'd accidently borrowed, it didn't have the option to 'return and delete'. I just tried an actual book and that option has come up. Thanks for your help.

W.
wwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:16 AM   #13
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Agreed, I think the Adobe epub and WMA audio are quite separate on Overdrive.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:15 AM   #14
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
I don't have a library book out presently, just one on 'hold' I'm waiting for. The last one I had, I never found a way to return it via the Vox in Overdrive because it took me just about the full term to finish it, what with playing with the new toy and everything. I didn't want to delete it to see what happens. However, I also had it in Adobe Digital Editions on my PC and could have returned it early from there if I wanted to.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote