Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-27-2011, 01:45 PM   #1
JayScore
JayScore has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JayScore has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JayScore has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
Deletion from conversion list without deletion from directory.

Heyho.

I have carried out several conversions from epub to mobi successfully, and I do thank those who have produced Calibre for its existence and their work. But when I try to remove items from the list I am given a list of options that appear to be destructive in that they warn me that files will be deleted from library folders. I do not want any files to be deleted. I just want to clear the list. Then Add new files to be converted, so I know where I am, and then delete them from the list, and so on. Working with a lengthy list is tedious. I cannot find a simple "Remove from list" option.
So, anybody know how I can clear the list without any files being deleted?

Tarly much.
JayScore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Are you sure we are talking abiout the Conversion (Jobs) list that is bought up clicking on Jobs at the bottom right of Calibre? None of those options suggest to me anything destructive - they only talk about stopping either the current job or all jobs.

That suggests to me you are talking about something else?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayScore View Post
I have carried out several conversions from epub to mobi successfully, and I do thank those who have produced Calibre for its existence and their work.
But when I try to remove items from the list I am given a list of options that appear to be destructive in that they warn me that files will be deleted from library folders.
The "list" you are referring to is the Calibre Library. Calibre is designed to control its own library. If a book is in the library, it's on the "list." The only way to get it off the "list" is to delete it from the library.

Quote:
I do not want any files to be deleted. I just want to clear the list. Then Add new files to be converted, so I know where I am, and then delete them from the list, and so on. Working with a lengthy list is tedious. I cannot find a simple "Remove from list" option.
So, anybody know how I can clear the list without any files being deleted?
It's not possible. You have two alternatives to do it your way (but neither is recommended). First, you can use the command line ebook-convert tool to do your conversions. That method of conversion does not put the converted book into the library.

Alternatively, after conversion, you can use Save to Disk to save the converted books anywhere you want, then just delete them from the library.

Personally, I'd leave them all in the library, and just do a search which will show you all the unconverted books.

Code:
not format:mobi
will show all books that haven't yet been converted to mobi format.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
JayScore
JayScore has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JayScore has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.JayScore has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle2
Thanks peeps. Knowing what one can't do is just as valuable as the opposite. Much obliged. Also, was unaware of the existence of a command line input. Will fiddle with that. Cheers.
JayScore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayScore View Post
Thanks peeps. Knowing what one can't do is just as valuable as the opposite. Much obliged.
Instead of playing with the command line, you'd do yourself a favor by learning a bit more about the library and the GUI. Ultimately, you'll find there is no better way to handle your ebooks than just leaving them in Calibre. Right now, you probably have some method of getting them onto a reader, but Calibre can do that job better, make them available to you over the internet, convert them to the format your next reader needs, help you find them, etc.

Yesterday I asked Calibre to show me all the books that had received a literature award, or a nomination, where I had only two formats, EPUB and TXT, but no other formats, that did not have a tag "Finished" (meaning I had finished editing them), that were tagged with my name, not my wife's and that were in the nonfiction genre.

You can't do that sort of searching/display of books without tools like Calibre provides. If you learn to use it, you won't regret it.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert