Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
rAzR
rAzR began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Problems with Calibre, PDF>EPUB

Hi, I have a couple of PDF eBooks I'd like to convert to EPUB so I can read them in iBooks.

I've chosen the output profile to iPad, but I keep getting odd EPUB files. My main problems are:
  • Odd line breaks so sentences randomly run onto new lines
  • Weird portions of text that aren't visible in the PDF such as "0465090796-Wiseman 6/22/07 10:50 AM Page xii"
  • I can't seem to remove page headers, or random blank pages where it says 'This page intentionally left blank'

I'm happy to upload the PDF's if it's going to give a better idea of why I can't get these to work, but I don't know if that would be breaking any forum rules or anything.

Thanks very much in advance!
rAzR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
PDF conversion is tough. I know the Calibre devs are working on an improved PDF-> converter, but I don't think its done yet.

Some other ideas:
1) Use Adobe Acrobat to export the PDF to HTML, then convert
2) Just read the PDF on the iPad using one of the fine PDF readers

Good luck!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 07:43 PM   #3
rAzR

Yea, I thought about both those options. I'm a mac, so without purchasing Adobe Acrobat there's no easy way to convert PDF to HTML. I've saved as a text file using Reader, but I now need to go through and copy images across, and also delete page headers/chapter names etc etc.. which is going to take hours.

Are there any iPad apps that offer a book-like interface similar to iBooks? I guess as long as I can swipe across or tap to turn the page I can deal with that instead of spending hours trying to convert books I'm probably only likely to read once.. just seems a shame not to be able to get the eye-candy that kind of puts the iPad ahead of the competition (for me, anyway, even though its primary use won't just be as an eBook reader)..

Last edited by rAzR; 06-05-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by rAzR View Post
Yea, I thought about both those options. I'm a mac, so without purchasing Adobe Acrobat there's no easy way to convert PDF to HTML. I've saved as a text file using Reader, but I now need to go through and copy images across, and also delete page headers/chapter names etc etc.. which is going to take hours.

Are there any iPad apps that offer a book-like interface similar to iBooks? I guess as long as I can swipe across or tap to turn the page I can deal with that instead of spending hours trying to convert books I'm probably only likely to read once.. just seems a shame not to be able to get the eye-candy that kind of puts the iPad ahead of the competition (for me, anyway, even though its primary use won't just be as an eBook reader)..
Have you tried Stanza? It even lets you drag PDFs directly to the sharing area in iTunes.

Last edited by kjk; 06-05-2010 at 08:02 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
rAzR

Haven't actually got it yet, I was just trying to get my eBooks ready in the mean time.

I use Stanza on my iPhone so I'll give it a go on the iPad.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
why not just use goodreader or another pdf reader application? you're always going to have some issue with conversion, so why not avoid it entirely?
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
JMikeD
Evangelist
JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JMikeD is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Various and sundry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rAzR View Post
[*]Odd line breaks so sentences randomly run onto new lines
[*]Weird portions of text that aren't visible in the PDF such as "0465090796-Wiseman 6/22/07 10:50 AM Page xii"
[*]I can't seem to remove page headers, or random blank pages where it says 'This page intentionally left blank'
Yep, that's what happens. That info is typically included in the body of the text, and not as footnotes or something else easily gotten rid of. Unfortunately, the only way I know of to get rid of those is by converting to html or text and editing them out manually, or by using regex or the like.

It's sloppy on the part of the person that generated the PDF.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 04:58 AM   #8
rAzR

I've just come across this: http://www.martview.com/

Shame they don't have a Mac version yet, but one of the first things I'm going to do with the iPad is try it with Air Display. I'm hoping I can run XP on the Mac using Parallels, open up MartView, and then view and control using the iPad.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
rAzR

So I guess that since we can view PDFs in iBooks there's not really much point in this thread anymore!