Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 07:39 AM   #1
garbanzo
bean
garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Nova 2
sony and epub

has sony updated the firmware on their readers since they switched over to epub? if not, do they intend to?

i keep reading here how their epub support on the sony devices is not as good as it could be, and that the format offers features that are not fully utilized by the firmware.

i ask because i want to amass a library of classics in anticipation of getting a 300 in a few weeks, and i'm not sure if i should get them in lrf, which obviously works great but is now 'outdated', or epub, which seems to have some quirks.

thanks!
garbanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
has sony updated the firmware on their readers since they switched over to epub? if not, do they intend to?

i keep reading here how their epub support on the sony devices is not as good as it could be, and that the format offers features that are not fully utilized by the firmware.

i ask because i want to amass a library of classics in anticipation of getting a 300 in a few weeks, and i'm not sure if i should get them in lrf, which obviously works great but is now 'outdated', or epub, which seems to have some quirks.

thanks!
Arguably the PRS-500 firmware upgrade was in parallel with the switchover to EPUB in their store (it added EPUB functionality and a few other things - it behaves like a PRS-505 now except with a slightly slower refresh rate and the early model slight ghosting effect).
If you can get a book in LRF, that would be preferable displaywise, but maybe not future compatible. Your choice.

Last edited by AprilHare; 02-02-2010 at 07:55 AM.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #3
jissa
Tsarina of All Hedgehogs
jissa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
I can't swear for the 300, but for the prs-900 epub's actually display just as well as lrf's, if not better. In fact, the reader will take more time to do things like zoom in on my lrf's then it does on my epubs.

I've decided to switch everything over to epub's, so as to remain future-compatible, and because they work very nicely on the prs-900.
jissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
garbanzo
bean
garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

thanks for the replies.

perhaps the threads i was reading described older models or something. i read that epubs display odd line numbers that cannot be removed, and that full text justification is not available. but i also read they're faster than lrf...

well i suppose epub support can only improve. i might as well use the current standard, even if it has a few limitations.

thanks
Old 02-02-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I prefer ePubs on my reader.... most look good. Like any format, it depends on the publisher and how much they care about their product. Some look perfect, others not so much. Still, most are fine.

If you convert to ePub in Calibre, be sure to make sure it is formatting for your PRS-300, the output option is in the convert settings.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
garbanzo
bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremen Cole View Post
If you convert to ePub in Calibre, be sure to make sure it is formatting for your PRS-300, the output option is in the convert settings.
good tip, thanks!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
s3ntient
s3ntient began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Am I missing something? I thought the Sony eReaders still had problems with ePUB.. mine does at least.

@jissa: You say the PRS-900 displays ePUB just as well if not better than LRF, does it support full justification with ePUBs?

@Bremen Cole: You also say that some ePUBs display perfectly, is that with full justification? If so, how do you achieve that?

Last edited by s3ntient; 02-02-2010 at 10:07 AM.
s3ntient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Sony is still using a years-old pre-release version of mobile Adobe Digital Editions on the PRS-300 and PRS-600. Since these were released relatively recently, there is little chance the firmware will be updated. The PRS-900 has a newer version of mobile ADE.

All the other 5" EInk devices have better ePub support than the PRS-300. The Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro is probably more expensive than the PRS-300, but is more capable and in my opinion a better value for the money. The PocketBook 360 is great hardware and software if you can afford it. The Cybook Opus allows you to change the font and some styling in ePubs (a first for a mobile ADE implementation).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3ntient View Post
Am I missing something? I thought the Sony eReaders still had problems with ePUB.. mine does at least.

@jissa: You say the PRS-900 displays ePUB just as well if not better than LRF, does it support full justification with ePUBs?

@Bremen Cole: You also say that some ePUBs display perfectly, is that with full justification? If so, how do you achieve that?
The 900 displays ePubs with full justification automatically (if that's how the book was formatted). The other models do not. I prefer LRFs on my reader because the text appears to be darker and the font size a tad bigger. This allows me to use the small font size all of the time. I only bump it up to medium when I'm reading periodicals. LRFs also allow for headers which I use to insert the book title for each page.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #10
garbanzo
bean

little chance of firmware updates? that comes as a surprise. so Sony just puts these products into the wild and forgets about them?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
little chance of firmware updates? that comes as a surprise. so Sony just puts these products into the wild and forgets about them?
I wouldn't say that but they have been very slow at providing new firmware updates. So it's hard to say if they plan on releasing a new firmware or they are taking there sweet time to do it. One would've expected a firmware update for the other models since the 900 already contains a newer version of mobile ADE.

I can see delaying a firmware for the 500, 505 and 700 since they are no longer offically being sold but I can't see why they are delaying an update for the 300, 600. Better epub support would help drive sales in my opinion.

Just my guess, maybe mobile ADE is due for another update and that's why they are waiting.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
Paul58
A Reader with no Reader..
Paul58 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Pocket Edition, B&N Nook
All I have on my 300 are epubs and I've not noticed any problems. I got one for Christams and just picked up a second for my wife a week ago. Both work just fine, so if you are getting a new 300, you shouldn't have a problem...
Paul58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #13
garbanzo
bean

i'm not so sure. the more i download, the more apparent it is that formatting is all over the place. i guess if i commit to this purchase, i'll also commit to reformatting every book. so i guess i can pick my own format, eh?

can anyone report how RTF looks on the 300? i would love to stick with that format. it's easy to convert to and easy to work with...
Old 02-02-2010, 01:22 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
i'm not so sure. the more i download, the more apparent it is that formatting is all over the place. i guess if i commit to this purchase, i'll also commit to reformatting every book. so i guess i can pick my own format, eh?

can anyone report how RTF looks on the 300? i would love to stick with that format. it's easy to convert to and easy to work with...
You're correct, ePub formatting does vary greatly. I don't have any experience with RTFs; LRF is my go to conversion format.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #15
garbanzo
bean

well i've been grabbing both lrf and epub, and using calibre to view them it's apprent that there is no standard for formatting.

i think i'll convert everything to rtf, fix them, and store them. then, once i figue out which format works best on my reader, i can convert from there. rtf is an easy and intuitive format for me - i'm no good at scripts!