Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-23-2009, 05:31 AM   #46
ladonna123
Breaking News
ladonna123 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I would wait until there was something with a clearer advantage over your current reader available.
ladonna123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #47
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
My prs-505 is great at what it does, so my next new toy would tend to need to be very different as far as features or form factor to get me to buy it. A notable exception would be if sony brought out a prs-510 that was a 505 with more memory, faster pageturns and the multilanguage support of their current devices so I could get english menus on a german model without having to reflash it like I did with my 505.
Actually, in the case of a souped-up 510 I would probably trade up as well. If the PRS-900 had the same screen clarity as the 505, I would also likely trade up, but as it is I will probably hold out for a larger screen for academic reading. If I win the lottery any time soon, however, ebook reading devices of the world beware...
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #48
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I know there is *always* something new coming out and the fear that you'll buy something and then something new will come out is never a reason not to enjoy a new technology.

Generally that's true, but right now there happens to be a lot of devices that "should" be coming out soon. The unique timing right now might be an exception to the basic rule you stated.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:33 PM   #49
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Actually,... If I win the lottery any time soon, however, ebook reading devices of the world beware...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #50
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
Generally that's true, but right now there happens to be a lot of devices that "should" be coming out soon. The unique timing right now might be an exception to the basic rule you stated.
Agreed, especially if you want a large screen reader, it's definitely better to wait a month or two and see what pans out with the Que, what else is announced at CES, what happens with Pixel QI screens etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #51
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I am just going around in circles here about whether I should treat myself, because I really would use those features often and am a serious/prolific enough reader that I will enjoy it, or whether I should just be a little more patient for a litte while longer and see how things shake up...
I'd recommend waiting, if you already have an ebook reader that will do.

Over the next six to twelve months we should see ebook readers with much less fragile screens and/or colour screens and/or must faster refreshing screens.

Having just have another cracked screen, I'm almost certainly going to be waiting for non-glass screens before buying another ebook reader.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 11:13 PM   #52
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
Great minds think alike!!! You must be an old retailer...(or not so old) Hubby taught me that lesson long ago...buy something, enjoy it, sell it, & go on to the 'next' big thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I think it's particular apropos of any electronic device these days.
It is amazing how many people don't make that connection and will do anything possible to not sell to fund the next purchase and simply "shoebox it" which is kinda like being waterboarded to an ebook reading device...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #53
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I would buy something like 600 but with 505 screen's clarity.
Even better, 8" with the above specs.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:43 PM   #54
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
It is amazing how many people don't make that connection and will do anything possible to not sell to fund the next purchase and simply "shoebox it" which is kinda like being waterboarded to an ebook reading device...
What's amazing is how hard it can be to sell old electronic devices. You'd think there would be a market for a 7-year old computer, working, but I haven't found one so far. (Probably would be, on eBay, but the shipping would cost more than the computer in that case.)
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:45 PM   #55
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
What's amazing is how hard it can be to sell old electronic devices. You'd think there would be a market for a 7-year old computer, working, but I haven't found one so far. (Probably would be, on eBay, but the shipping would cost more than the computer in that case.)
There's not. You can't even give PCs that old away to schools or local youth centers. They don't want to deal with setting them up and maintaining them.

Just recycle them like a good green consumer. Oh, and thanks for using your PC for 7 years. I don't think I've ever used any of mine that long.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #56
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
There's not. You can't even give PCs that old away to schools or local youth centers. They don't want to deal with setting them up and maintaining them.

Just recycle them like a good green consumer. Oh, and thanks for using your PC for 7 years. I don't think I've ever used any of mine that long.

BOb
Yep, I've got a whole basement full of old computers no one wants. Have to pay to get rid of them....
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #57
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I am in the market for a new reader. I lost one of my kindles (I had 2 kindle 1s, because my 11 year-old decided she didn't like it), but I really like having a backup. I guess that is silly, since thanks to MR I can read my books on any device. I am going to sit back and see what comes out - I am actually hoping that after Christmas, they will drop the price of refurbished Kindle 2s back down.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 07:59 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't think this is a good time to be buying a large-screen device, because there are many that will be released in the next few months.

However, it's a very good time to be buying small-screen devices, with all sorts of interesting new ones on the market. I've just bought a Pocketbook 360, and that's a very nice 5" device. There's also the new firmware releases for the Bookeen devices (Gen3 and Opus), which make them well worth looking at.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:08 AM   #59
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I wouldn't think of it, except that my Cybook has been given me trouble lately. Ideally though, I wouldn't buy a new model but rather one that has been around for some time and proven to be reliable enough over the long term. Of course, that's mostly wishful thinking on my part, since models rarely stay on the market long enough to judge that
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:38 PM   #60
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I am happy with what I have and use my pocket pro the most.

If my HTC wizard dies It's about 4 years old) then I will need a new PDA phone. Probably will get one with at least a 4 inch screen, maybe five, and will leave Windows Mobile for Android.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote