Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-30-2003, 06:31 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Lord of the Rings for $1.99

http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...roductId=74930

Quote:
You will receive:

The Hobbit
The Fellowship of the Ring
The Two Towers
The Return of the King
The entire series for just $1.99.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 08:48 AM   #2
Saud
Connoisseur
Saud began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, Iphone 3G, Blackberry 9000
i wont go for it.. my guess..these are free circulated copies through p2p irc etc.. and this guy is capitalizing on it..

even if he did it himself.. there is still the copyright/legal issue..

look at something else he made:

English Dictionary by StillWatersDesign
Download this valuable resource today and start using the Lookup feature in Microsoft Reader to find instant definitions for more than 80,000 words. all with a single click. A terrific resource when you're typing a writing a letter, typing a report, or playing a word game!

Requirements:Palm OS

Mircosoft Reader on Palm OS ?!!! ..

btw this is not the first time it happens at handango...
see here: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...ic.php?t=11578

Last edited by Saud; 05-31-2003 at 08:51 AM.
Saud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 09:03 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Yeah... I also followed a thread on this on ClieSource. Seems like the Tolkien people have never allowed official electronic copies of LOTR before - so why now? And for $1.99...

Crazy someone dares to offer this publicly for money.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 01:01 AM   #4
saw9000
Zealot
saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I agree, it sounds crazy. I would buy them, but I don't want to associate myself with such activity, someone making money from someone else's work. However, I hope this sends a message to Tolkien's family that, to begin with, the books are already available electronically, and that people want them badly enough that they would be willing to pay money to get them. I know I would buy copies of the work electronically, and I don't even own the paper versions yet.
Scott
saw9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2003, 02:24 AM   #5
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
I own all the major Tolkien texts in paper form, and have had them for years (since I was a teenager in the 80's. A couple of months back I tried to find ebook versions of the books so I could carry them around on my clie, and found text versions just be doing some searching on Google.

I won't post them anywhere, or give them to anyone, (and I was happy to pay for them too) but they were easy to find, and supplement the paper versions I already have.

I agree though, the Tolkien Foundation should jump on the bandwagon and publish them themselves, as there IS a demand for them. I also pity the fool trying to make money like this, as they are probably going to be facing a law suit, if they're unlucky.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote