Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #31
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Ooops!

I was using it on a netbook with a reduced screen resolution. So the bottom of the screen was cut off. And I hadn't been in that tweak area in a long time. So I forgot there were other buttons down there.

All is fine now.

Thanks for your quick reply, Kovid.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:42 AM   #32
teejcee
Enthusiast
teejcee began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G & Paperwhite
I decided to use the virtual library feature to break my library into authors, however, given the number of authors I have ( I did try to restrict those that I gave a virtual library entry ) , I now find that I can't see the "tail end" of these entries. They are definately there as selecting edit displays all entries as the display is oriented further left on the screen.

It appears we need a horizontal scrolling feature or some other alternative.

Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

Cheers.
teejcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:07 AM   #33
teejcee
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejcee View Post
Bump.....
Old 07-15-2013, 04:22 AM   #34
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Dont create so many VLs Though IIRC Qt usually allows menus that have too many entries to be scrolled, not sure why that isn't happening for you.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:43 AM   #35
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I decided to use the virtual library feature to break my library into authors, however, given the number of authors I have ( I did try to restrict those that I gave a virtual library entry ) , I now find that I can't see the "tail end" of these entries. They are definately there as selecting edit displays all entries as the display is oriented further left on the screen.

It appears we need a horizontal scrolling feature or some other alternative.

Cheers.
Don't create a VL per author. Instead do a search for the desired author using the tag browser, then create a temporary VL using "current search".
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:12 PM   #36
teejcee
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Dont create so many VLs
Yep...thought about that... I guess I was a bit over over zealous although I did limit VL entries to those authors with more than 3 books in Calibre Library.

Any thoughts about having a book count kept & displayed for each VL entry?

Quote:
Though IIRC Qt usually allows menus that have too many entries to be scrolled, not sure why that isn't happening for you.
Well, it sort of scrolls....I cannot go further with the right arrorw in the last column but using the down arrow, after the last entry the hi-lite bar for each entry disappears for each VL not displayed until it reaches the end, at which time it re-appears at "Create Virtual Library", top left of screen. ( ' hope that makes sense )

Cheers
Old 07-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #37
teejcee
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Don't create a VL per author. Instead do a search for the desired author using the tag browser, then create a temporary VL using "current search".
Thanks...thought about that as well but it's really not as convenient as displaying a screen with (nearly) all entries and making a selection.

Plus, VL allows for creating entries from saved searches which with authors would achieve the same thing ( and leave me with the same problem )

Cheers
Old 07-15-2013, 10:38 PM   #38
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Thanks...thought about that as well but it's really not as convenient as displaying a screen with (nearly) all entries and making a selection.

Plus, VL allows for creating entries from saved searches which with authors would achieve the same thing ( and leave me with the same problem )
I'm not sure how chaley's suggestion ends up leaving you with the same problem. You click on the author in the Tag browser then click Additional restriction *current search and you have a VL for that author. This is a quick couple of clicks to get to the VL. Click Additional restriction <None> to exit VL.

Personally I have 930 authors with 3 or more books and creating a VL for each of those authors would make no sense for me to do.

I'm curious what advantage do you experience in doing this?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #39
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
I'm not sure how chaley's suggestion ends up leaving you with the same problem. You click on the author in the Tag browser then click Additional restriction *current search and you have a VL for that author. This is a quick couple of clicks to get to the VL. Click Additional restriction <None> to exit VL.
But would you not just end up with a long list of Additional Restrictions (one for each Author that you put there) and would that list be any more scrollable than a list of VL names ?

Quote:
Personally I have 930 authors with 3 or more books and creating a VL for each of those authors would make no sense for me to do.
I'm curious as to how you know that?

That is, how does one search for authors with 3 or more books, or publishers with less than 5 etc etc?

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-15-2013 at 11:46 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #40
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
But would you not just end up with a long list of Additional Restrictions (one for each Author that you put there) and would that list be any more scrollable than a list of VL names ?
The list wouldn't matter since it is not the method used to access any author's temp VL.

Quote:
I'm curious as to how you know that?

That is, how does one search for authors with 3 or more books, or publishers with less than 5 etc etc?
Tag browser, sort by popularity vice sort by name (see attached).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TagBrowserAuthors_SortbyName.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	108287   Click image for larger version

Name:	TagBrowserAuthors_SortbyPopularity1.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	108288   Click image for larger version

Name:	TagBrowserAuthors_SortbyPopularity2.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	108289   Click image for larger version

Name:	TagBrowserSortBy.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	108291  

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 07-16-2013 at 12:06 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:56 AM   #41
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The list wouldn't matter since it is not the method used to access any author's temp VL.
I meant the list of Additional Searches - e.g. if you had each of your 930 Authors as an Additional Search, then... not saying you would... but it would be a long list and probably wouldn't scroll any better.

Quote:
Tag browser, sort by popularity vice sort by name (see attached).
but I was hoping for a search term that I could save or use to define a VL etc - never mind.

I've got a lot of 'books' by Paul Krugman, but he's not one of my favourite economists

BR
Old 07-16-2013, 12:57 AM   #42
teejcee
Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm not sure how chaley's suggestion ends up leaving you with the same problem.
My error...I didn't take in the word "temporary"..

Quote:
I'm curious what advantage do you experience in doing this?
As per my earlier post, as it stands for the moment, it's simply that with one click I can display ( nearly ) all of the authors I wish to browse.

If the name's not there I can fall back on the author tags.

I don't see it as an advantage, just the way I'm happy to use it.

I have no other use for VLs.

Cheers...
Old 07-16-2013, 01:05 AM   #43
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

@teejcee - could you use the Favorite Authors feature - see post #40 by DoctorOhh

BR
Old 07-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #44
teejcee
Enthusiast

Quote:
@teejcee - could you use the Favorite Authors feature - see post #40 by DoctorOhh

BR
Thanks mate...I've taken a look & that method doesn't suit.

Cheers
Old 07-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #45
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Why do you choose to use "Additional Restriction/Current Search" instead of the "Current search" option directly in the VL menu? Both create a temporary virtual library, but the one in the VL menu is both easier to get to and interacts more nicely with plugins that used search restrictions.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote