Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
What is your favorite Sherlock Holmes ebook collection [canon]?

I have quite a few, but I recently picked up the "The Complete Sherlock Holmes (The Heirloom Collection)" from Amazon. It's very nicely formatted and has quite a few color images.

Here's the link to that Amazon edition:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Sherl...+Collection%29

I also picked up one of Harry's compilations here at MobileRead, which is also extremely nice, with a ton of illustrations by Sidney Paget - and it's free.

Here's the lrf (discontinued Sony format) with illustrations:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35517

This edition needs to be run through Sigil to remove the bold text (if that is one's preference). I was unable to get calibre to do this. Too, I was unable to quickly find a mobi or epub illustrated edition from Harry. So if someone wants to look for that......

Here's Harry's Mobi version (without illustrations):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...%2C+Sir+Arthur

Here's Harry's epub version (without illustrations):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...%2C+Sir+Arthur

There are a ton of individual Sir Arthur Conan Doyle titles created by crutledge also here at MobileRead, although I have not looked at these. (If he has created a compilation volume, I was unable to find it doing a quick search.)

There's what appears to be another very nicely illustrated edition from Amazon, but without "The Casebook of Sherlock" volume, since it was apparently deleted for regional copyright reasons. The title is Sherlock Holmes Illustrated [Kindle Edition], and is located here:

http://www.amazon.com/Sherlock-Holme...d+and+Complete

I do not own this edition, but it does look very nice and the price is right.

I would personally avoid those older MobileReference editions [do not confuse MobileRerence with MobileRead], since they do not use an emdash (—) through their text, but rather two dashs (--), and they appear to be very sloppily formatted.

I was wondering if you have a favorite collection and why.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 06-30-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Thanks for the pointer. I've got the Sidney Paget illustrated version already but went ahead and bought the version you linked to. I can't really say that I have a favorite version. Most complete collections have the same verbiage. The different illustrations are nice, though.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I haven't read any Sherlock Holmes books, yet. A Study in Scarlet and The Hound of the Baskervilles have been on my wish list for two months now but I got to say, The Heirloom Collection you got looks very nice and is visually appealing. I might get a copy myself. Does it contain all the Sherlock Holmes stories?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I haven't read any Sherlock Holmes books, yet. A Study in Scarlet and The Hound of the Baskervilles have been on my wish list for two months now ....
If possible, read A Study in Scarlet first. It's the first story in chronological sequence, and tells how Holmes first met Watson.

I'm not sure which collections it's in. It's probably in most of them. But note that it is one of four of the stories that are full-length rather than short stories, so it might not be in some of the original collections.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
If possible, read A Study in Scarlet first. It's the first story in chronological sequence, and tells how Holmes first met Watson.

I'm not sure which collections it's in. It's probably in most of them. But note that it is one of four of the stories that are full-length rather than short stories, so it might not be in some of the original collections.

Mike
Thanks, Mike. Hopefully, I'll get around to reading it.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
I haven't read any Sherlock Holmes books, yet. A Study in Scarlet and The Hound of the Baskervilles have been on my wish list for two months now but I got to say, The Heirloom Collection you got looks very nice and is visually appealing. I might get a copy myself. Does it contain all the Sherlock Holmes stories?

I'm not an expert on this....so I don't really know.

However, I would consider Harry to be the real expert on these. I'll PM him and tell him about this thread.

Don
Old 06-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It does appear to be complete - although naturally I'm going to prefer my own "Complete Sherlock Holmes".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Haven't looked at any amazon titles, but I'll also recommend Harry's compendiums.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #9
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Just a suggestion but it might be an idea to add the word Canon in the header as there are some collections of Sherlock Holmes books that weren't written by Arthur Conan Doyle.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Just a suggestion but it might be an idea to add the word Canon in the header as there are some collections of Sherlock Holmes books that weren't written by Arthur Conan Doyle.

Will do.

Thanks.

Don
Old 07-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please remove the word [canon] from the thread title. Religion has nothing to do with this.

I suggest (for the thread title)... What is your favorite Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes eBook omnibus?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Canon can mean, "an authoritative list, as of the works of an author."
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please remove the word [canon] from the thread title. Religion has nothing to do with this.

I suggest (for the thread title)... What is your favorite Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes eBook omnibus?

Do not spam this thread again. If you have something substantive to contribute, then do so. Otherwise, if you have an issue then you need to use the Report button.

"The term "literary canon" refers to a classification of literature. It is a term used widely to refer to a group of literary works that are considered the most important of a particular time period or place. For example, there can be a literary canon comprised of works from a particular country, or works written within a specific set of years, or even a collection of works that were all written during a certain time period and within a certain region. In this way, a literary canon establishes a collection of similar or related literary works."

It is understood that by 'canon' I am referring to 'literary canon.' I have absolutely no concern for religion in this thread.

Don
(Moderator)
Old 07-02-2013, 06:03 AM   #14
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Now I am a little bit confused. Do you want a compilation of all the Sherlock Holmes stories (an omnibus) or a selection of the best Sherlock Holmes stories (as I would understand your definition of a canon)?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Now I am a little bit confused. Do you want a compilation of all the Sherlock Holmes stories (an omnibus) or a selection of the best Sherlock Holmes stories (as I would understand your definition of a canon)?

Take your pick.

Do you have one you can recommend?

Don