Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Kobo needs a shopping cart.

I've had the opportunity to take a peek at the processing fees taken out of my Kobo purchases, and while I can't say that they are 100% credit card "swipe" fees, I can say that whatever they are, they're a bigger percentage of the pie when the retail price is lower: 4.6% of a $5.99 e-book, and 2.7% of a $35 e-book, for example.

Folks have belly-ached before about lack of a cart, and it now seems to be costing both Kobo and its indie affiliates real money (if indeed any portion is going to the CC juggernaut).
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
This behaviour may be illegal in Australia. We have strong laws surrounding credit card surcharging.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #3
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
I think the OP is saying that s/he had the opportunity to see some breakdown of the fee charged to his/her card and that of the charge, the credit card was charging Kobo an amount ranging from 2.7-4.6% that would include processing and other fees. So, not money out of the OP's pocket, but out of Kobo's margin.

I think that surcharges on credit card transactions are disallowed under the merchant agreements with Visa and MasterCard in most jurisdictions.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #4
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
I think the OP is saying that s/he had the opportunity to see some breakdown of the fee charged to his/her card and that of the charge, the credit card was charging Kobo an amount ranging from 2.7-4.6% that would include processing and other fees. So, not money out of the OP's pocket, but out of Kobo's margin.
(And out of the indie bookstore affiliate's, too.)

But yes - Correct. I paid Kobo's retail price and not a penny more, but the "processing fee" line item of the breakdown varied as a percentage of the retail price. And it appears that the smaller the bottom line number, the bigger taste the card companies got. I may be mistaken, but if I could "shopping cart" the books, and thus avoid, say, $5.99 purchases, the CC companies could be kept to getting only a half pound of flesh.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #5
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
(And out of the indie bookstore affiliate's, too.)

But yes - Correct. I paid Kobo's retail price and not a penny more, but the "processing fee" line item of the breakdown varied as a percentage of the retail price. And it appears that the smaller the bottom line number, the bigger taste the card companies got. I may be mistaken, but if I could "shopping cart" the books, and thus avoid, say, $5.99 purchases, the CC companies could be kept to getting only a half pound of flesh.
As related, this is basically a credit card surcharge, it's just being included in the sales price. Of course, since you can only buy Kobo books by credit card, their is not offsetting ability to purchase using cash.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:08 AM   #6
~tjayz~
~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.~tjayz~ for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Kobo Glo, Mini, Aura
Quote:
As related, this is basically a credit card surcharge, it's just being included in the sales price. Of course, since you can only buy Kobo books by credit card, their is not offsetting ability to purchase using cash.
You can buy Kobo books using Paypal, and if your Paypal account is linked to your bank account like mine is - no annoying credit card surcharges.

But I do agree that it would be good if Kobo had a cart for when you want to buy more than one book at a time.
~tjayz~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~tjayz~ View Post
You can buy Kobo books using Paypal, and if your Paypal account is linked to your bank account like mine is - no annoying credit card surcharges.

But I do agree that it would be good if Kobo had a cart for when you want to buy more than one book at a time.
I've got my paypal set the same way. After trying to buy a large amount of books initially from Kobo this was a huge pain in the ass without a shopping cart. If I have a good discount code 25%+, I'll buy from Kobo (assuming I can find a book to use it on) but I don't buy more than one book during a visit. I do however buy upwards of 5-6 books at a time at Books on Board and Baen as they both have a shopping cart, decent prices and allow paypal. Now if Tor would get their store up and running I'd be really happy.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:13 PM   #8
kevenv
Enthusiast
kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kevenv can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
Cart or no cart, PayPal or CC, the price you pay for the book is the same. Credit card companies charge the seller a processing fee on every transaction. This happens to EVERY seller that accepts credit cards for payment, online and in person. Again, you pay the same price regardless of how you pay.
kevenv is offline   Reply With Quote