Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #256
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
I think its optimization can vary quite a lot.

Some examples:
Telecom's biblet 2 has a Pearl, but there's a noticeable difference between that and the one of Kindle 4:

At the same time, the new T1 has a slightly more intense black than K4:

I think this is related to the way the software (waveforms) can manage the electronic ink particles.

Every PRS 650 / 350 vs T1 video comparison I've found on YT, shows a slighly washed text on the first, compared to the second

--
I know you dont have a 9,7" that's why I suggested to make comparisons 6" vs 9,7" using epub and not pdf

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-19-2012 at 11:56 AM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #257
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony PRS-T1, M92, iPad 3, ex-JetBook Color
White balance on my bedroom light pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
I'll consider two opposite conditions: the light of the day VS the bedroom light.

Stricly talking about the READABILITY of the black text with the two displays (DXG /JBC)

The whiter and more powerful the light
AND (obviously)
the smaller the text

> the more the Triton can express its potential over the Pearl, thanks to its higher resolution.

In my opinion the Triton needs the direct daylight to be as comfortable as the Pearl. Normal home / office lighting makes the Pearl more comfortable.

There are two factors to consider: the way the Tritons' surface (upper colour layer) interact with light, and the "reticulation" effect of the layer (noticeable with small-very small text).

Where the Triton will totally shine over the Pearl is in bright sunlight.
lorenzoens,
In reality in bedroom light JBC's screen looks very dark GREY. IN PRACTICE with this light conditions you have to read BLACK text on very dark GREY screen. It actually would be helpful if the screen would be YELLOWISH or BROWN like in your picture because it is less stressful to read black text on yellow or even brown screen that on dark grey one .
I mentioned earlier that my last pictures (with bedroom light) obviously have white balance problem. My son's hands look there much more yellow that they really are and JBC's chasses in reality is white, not yellowish as it looks on my last pictures. I need to learn how to take more REALISTIC pictures with better white balance in more challenging light conditions using my camera. I am quite sure that it is possible. I just need to learn HOW.
I also want comment about your statement that "Triton will totally shine over the Pearl is in bright sunlight". When I try to read outdoor on DIRECT bright sunlight I HAVE TO wear my sunglasses. Otherwise the reading (even on the normal white paper) on DIRECT bright sunlight gets very discomfortable for me. And DXG (as well as Sony T1) are both doing very well with my sunglasses (my sunglasses have dark grey, almost black lenses). How about JBC? JBC + black sunglasses = guess what?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	comparativa.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	84230  
Valentinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #258
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well I guess you won't need sunglasses with Triton...
Old 03-19-2012, 12:25 PM   #259
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad, PRS-T3, Kobo GLO HD, Paperwhite 2, PB Ultra, Ony Boox Max
@Valentinka
I don't know your experince with JBC screen but it is my outdoor experience:

time: morning (I don't rember the time exactly)

Shot under the shadow: diffuse light:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...7&d=1330943629

Shot under direct oblique light:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...8&d=1330943667

Shot under direct frontal light:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/att...0&d=1330943803

All the photo are as the camera shotted them. I used a plain A4 white paper as referral to set the white-balacing directly on the camera.

Is Italy too sunny? I don't know but keep in mind the photos was made in early March
mod186k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:31 PM   #260
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
This thread now has over 250 posts of member back and forth comments. Opinions are just that, opinions. No one is going to change another member's opinion by stating and restating the same information nor by posting personal attacks nor by following someone from other sites.

The reason we have a variety of things in life to choose from is because not everyone is satisfied nor needs/requires the same thing for the same reason. This holds true for our devices as well.

This thread has had complaints and much of what has been posted is little more than disagreements, restating of opinions, etc. The OP started the thread by offering his opinion. His, not anyone else's.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:10 PM   #261
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'd like to point out here that this notice only applies to those who have actually engaged in personal attacks. It is not in response to any of the most recent posts in this thread.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #262
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
@WT Sharpe: I totally agree with your deduction! One of the reasons I'm no longer posting in this thread, because barely anything valuable comes out of it; just re-stating the same ideas over and over again, is getting pretty boring!

I'd hoped this thread would have been a little more beneficial, it took 4 pages just to summarize and 2 pics on how the jetbook looks in daylight/night (even that is subjectable to a camera's auto color/whitebalance/and ISO controls).
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:08 PM   #263
ignacio ferrer
Banned
ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignacio ferrer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentinka View Post
Lets just trade then your M92 for my JBC

P.S. Then you also will be able to post nice JBC's review here with your own pictures and describe how WELL JBC is doing about most of important features listed in its specifications on Ectaco's website. And I will start doing the COMFORTABLE and enjoyable reading on your M92.
Well, I would say, critical as you seem to be, you would be disappointed as well. M92 consists so far mainly of promises. You spend more time fiddling around than actually reading.
Until they get their act together, the JetColor might have jumped ahead.
I read PDFs mainly on my PC - just to have a good display, high contrast etc. simply is not enough. And some people report hardware issues ...
ignacio ferrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #264
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
@Valentinka

All the photo are as the camera shotted them. I used a plain A4 white paper as referral to set the white-balacing directly on the camera.

Is Italy too sunny? I don't know but keep in mind the photos was made in early March
I think I've said it before but I'll say it again. In the right lighting conditions comics look fantastic on the jetBook Color.

And can we have some of your sun here in England please?

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #265
mod186k1
Addict
mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mod186k1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And with a desktop lamp? (like the one I use)
Old 03-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #266
Valentinka
Zealot
Valentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura aboutValentinka has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignacio ferrer View Post
Well, I would say, critical as you seem to be, you would be disappointed as well. M92 consists so far mainly of promises. You spend more time fiddling around than actually reading.
Until they get their act together, the JetColor might have jumped ahead.
And... Lets just go ahead and trade our devices then. You will enjoy JBC "jumping ahead" (I am personally not sure in which direction it is going to jump - ahead or backwards) and I will enjoy readable screen in most of light conditions.

I dont think I am unresonably critical. I understand that both my DXG and Sony T1 (as well as iPad 2) are not ideal devices. I spent some time "fiddling around" of all of them and customizing them for my needs. And I love all of them. The difference between Ectaco's JBC and both Amazon's Kindle DXG and Sony T1 (as well as Apple's iPad 2) is that Amazon and Sony (as well as Apple) listed their devices's specifications (including pictures) and their devices IN PRACTICE perform PERFECTLY according their specifications (including the pictures they provided in their specifications).

Please tell me than from your practical experience with M92: is there something that Onyx International lists in M92's specifications (including their picture of M92) http://www.onyx-boox.com/onyx-boox-m92/specifications/ that is different from what you observe yourself with your M92? For example, does the screen on your M92 in normal light conditions looks MUCH DIFFERENT from the picture of M92 from Onyx website?
Old 03-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #267
lorenzoens
ex se ens

Ahem .
Here I have to remember that DXG is very poor with pdf, as I always said. It has probably the most outdated capabilities for pdf managing you can find on any 9,7" device currently sold.

You bought it t 200 dollars (and that was a new one, from what I know) so that's a very good price, thanks to its screen. But 379 is very unappropriate, because one usually buys 9,7" for pdf, and you can't even zoom them properly nor reflowing them. And it's never been updated.
--

But please don't we return over this: we're adding reason over reason for being very critique about companies, the umpteenth confirm that we're treated as beta testers, when it comes to 9,7" e-ink readers. This is precisely my main complaint. So you have all the right for feeling tricked.

---

I'd like to return now discussing about the Tritons screen, as you still have some homework to do for us
U ready with that camera?

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-19-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #268
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod186k1 View Post
@Valentinka

Dear mod186k1,

First of all thanks for your pictures. I have couple questions for you.

Are you seriously satisfied for example with the colors of your comics that we can observe on your pictures? Did you check how they (these colors) are SUPPOSED TO look (on PC or iPad, for example)? Did you check how you comics look on quality B/W eInk screen like DXG for example?

If you are very satisfied I am very happy for you. And once again - I really respect your opinion.

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-19-2012 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #269
Valentinka
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
I'd like to return now discussing about the Tritons screen, as you still have some homework to do for us
U ready with that camera?

Sure. I have my camera ready. But the problem is right now that the sky got very grey right now. It is very dark outdoor and it looks like it can start raining any minute. And we already know that the light is big matter for JBC.

See, before I got JBC, I even never was thinking about light, for example. I was just READING and ENJOYING my DXG and Sony T1 no matter what light is

Last edited by Valentinka; 03-19-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:34 PM   #270
mod186k1
Addict

Comics were a material I not planned to read before. I experimented comics with iPad2 (Marvell app) and some B/W with iLiad. Finally I never experimented gray-scaled comics on 9.7 pearl screen

Answering your question: Yes, I am fascinated of how Triton renders colors of Marvell comics it has an old-fashion effect that surprise me the first time I saw it.

Yes @Valentinka, even if I didn't expect this color rendering (I expected like you something more saturated like iPad) I can honestly say I prefer the Triton imperfection among iPad2 perfection.

Edit: I want add this to be clear: even if I like how Triton renders colors of comic, I never dream to do a photoediting (for example) or see a photorealistic image with a screen like JBC. It's a pity because before I thought of electronic photo frame as a possible application of eink Triton: do you think of it? But I know now it is simple impossible at the present moment. Maybe one day.... with some trasparent material over the screen and/or more reflective thing on the screen... The research I hope will continue and perhaps one day I would like have a digital frame on my desk rendering like photo paper and print on the screen for years without charging

am I a dreamer? of course

Last edited by mod186k1; 03-19-2012 at 05:50 PM.