Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle4
Is it possible to make the Kindle 4 start at the cover

Just a wonder - Is it possible to make the Kindle 4 start at the cover?

I have looked through the settings and all sorts of other gubbins but I cannot seem to make the book I want to read start at the cover.

I know you may think "WHY!?" but I just want to
Villordsutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
You need to convert with Calibre, and select use cover as first page.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 01:27 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Unless the ebook is created with a page that has an image of the cover on it... the answer is no. The cover is usually only part of the metadata in a mobi book. Which means you can't open it to the cover... anymore than you could open it to the author.

Short of converting and/or editing each of your books to include an inline image of the cover as the very first page (as Sydney's Mom suggestion will do), the book will open (the very first time) wherever its creator decided it should open and there is no Kindle setting to override that. Each book has its own "Start Here" built into it.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking
Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Villordsutch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks people. Next time I calibre convert I will select the cover start option.

I know it may seem odd, but the cover to me seems relevant to the book and the starting of it all.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:41 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villordsutch View Post
I know it may seem odd, but the cover to me seems relevant to the book and the starting of it all.
It's not odd. The question always crops up from time to time. I can't really make out any details on most covers on a 6" grayscale eInk screen myself, but whatever works for you.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #6
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
You need to convert with Calibre, and select use cover as first page.
Where is this option found? I've been using Calibre for years but have never seen this in the conversion options.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villordsutch View Post
I know you may think "WHY!?" but I just want to
Well, I know why. If the author and editor decided to put a table of contents at the front, to give readers an idea of what is come, I want to see that first. Same with the dedication. And the copyright year.

Now that I am reading Overdrive library books, I am finding myself starting at the first page of the first chapter, and don't like it. A modest proposal: Default to starting at the first page of the first chapter for fiction only.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The EInk Kindles have all worked this way (open on "first page" as set by the creator of the ebook), but Windows MobiPocket Reader, and now the Kindle Fire, open on the cover.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The EInk Kindles have all worked this way (open on "first page" as set by the creator of the ebook), but Windows MobiPocket Reader, and now the Kindle Fire, open on the cover.
That's good. I hope they move that direction with all of their new devices. It doesn't make a bit of difference to me, but it seems to be fairly universally requested, so hopefully they've listened.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But I am still wondering where to find "use cover as first page" in Calibre. Anyone?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
But I am still wondering where to find "use cover as first page" in Calibre. Anyone?
I dunno. When I open a new book on my Kindle, I just choose Menu -> Go To -> Cover.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #12
Skydog
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I dunno. When I open a new book on my Kindle, I just choose Menu -> Go To -> Cover.
Me too. But I would love to make this permanent in conversions. I PM'd Sydney's Mom and perhaps she will respond. I have spent the last hour going through all the settings/preferences in Calibre and haven't found anything related to it.

Update: Sydney's Mom just responded that she meant to write metadata and not cover.

Last edited by Skydog; 01-05-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #13
Villordsutch
Tubby Viking

Ditto on Sydney's Mom responding I'm in Calibre now and can't see it
Old 01-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The option in Calibre is to insert metadata at start of book, not the cover (Preferences > Conversion > Common Options > Structure Detection).

Skydog has asked the question about if you can have the cover as the start page of the book over in the Calibre forum, and sadly, "it's not an option".
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #15
victauria
Grand Sorcerer
victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.victauria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
HA! This is great! TY for this, I had no idea!

This whole business of not seeing the cover, TOC, etc., in the same way that I would in a p-book has been bugging me, but there has too much to figure out with my new K4T for that to have made it to the top of my lists of wishes and if-only-it would....

I do wish the publishers would make this a feature of all e-books...for me, it's part of the experience of the book.
victauria is offline   Reply With Quote