Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-31-2016, 09:00 AM   #16
blkhawk
Bit Wrangler
blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Oasis
I thought I already mentioned the cover connectors. As far as i can tell the connectors only have an i2c or something similar on them - there are 2 connections that connect to the battery(VCC and GND). The other connectors are 2 communication pins (i2c or something similar) and a GND for for signaling. This is a bit weird so there might be functions on that connector.

I have however no idea how to trigger other modes for the connector.

As for the other side of the board I will see what i can do.
blkhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:20 AM   #17
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhawk View Post
I thought I already mentioned the cover connectors. As far as i can tell the connectors only have an i2c or something similar on them - there are 2 connections that connect to the battery(VCC and GND). The other connectors are 2 communication pins (i2c or something similar) and a GND for for signaling. This is a bit weird so there might be functions on that connector.

I have however no idea how to trigger other modes for the connector.

As for the other side of the board I will see what i can do.
The battery module should have more than two pins in its connectory. I took a dead battery module apart, and it contains a plastic and metal frame with a small circuit board (which uses i2c or similar to report its serial number and battery status to the kindle firmware). The battery module also contains a rather standard single-cell LiPo battery pack (2 wires) connected to the small circuit board. I plan to replace a dead (inflated) LiPo pack with one salvaged from a cheap rechargeable device, wrapping the label back over the battery pack frame when complete. Some older kindle batteries even label those extra pins as "data" and "clock" (or similar).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2016, 10:00 AM   #18
blkhawk
Bit Wrangler
blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.blkhawk is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Oasis
wait? you took apart a kindle oasis battery pack and did not post any pictures? Shame on you

As for more than 2 pins - yes the connector has 5 pins - and if you add up the ones I wrote about then you get to 5 pins.
blkhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:28 AM   #19
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkhawk View Post
wait? you took apart a kindle oasis battery pack and did not post any pictures? Shame on you

As for more than 2 pins - yes the connector has 5 pins - and if you add up the ones I wrote about then you get to 5 pins.
Not an Oasis, a PW3. However, they are probably very similar inside.

And yes, I do plan to take pictures and post them. It is on my "To Do" list. I also have a K2 with a bloated battery. LiPo batteries are in sealed foil pouches which tend to inflate when they die. This K2 battery inflated so much that the kindle front and back were bulged and the side seam split open. Thankfully, the battery pack was under the keyboard and not the fragile eink display.

I do not yet have an Oasis -- just PW3 and older (except my PW1, which was last seen in California a couple years ago)...

I will post photos when I cut out the old (spot-welded tabs) LiPo and solder in a cheap replacement, into the original battery pack frame. It *should* work (and even ID itself as an authentic amazon battery pack).

I plan to do such battery surgery for both dead battery packs, and yes, I will post pictures (soon).

EDIT: Pictures posted here. I will add more to that thread when I experiment with "non-standard" battery transplants, that attempt to masquerade as genuine amazon batteries.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-01-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:25 PM   #20
geekmaster

That "battery surgery" was a success (at least for the K2). The kindle firmware recognizes it as a genuine amazon battery (as expected). It should work for all "self identifying" batteries, including Kindle Oasis, and NON-AMAZON lithium battery operated devices (even expensive smartphones)...

Checkout the "Kindle Battery Surgery" thread for details...
Advert
Old 06-03-2017, 12:04 AM   #21
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
This page has some zoomed out pictures. It looks like there are several pads covered up by the battery cable.

http://gearopen.com/tablets/amazon-k...-reader-25362/
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
This page has some zoomed out pictures. It looks like there are several pads covered up by the battery cable.

http://gearopen.com/tablets/amazon-k...-reader-25362/
And the person writing the article got the US price 100% wrong. It's not $405. It's $289.99.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:03 PM   #23
bcomnes
bcomnes began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Did anyone ever figure out serial port access on the oasis? Mine bricked last night after a bad USB mode eject. Figuring that is probably the only way in at this point.
bcomnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:36 PM   #24
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcomnes View Post
Did anyone ever figure out serial port access on the oasis? Mine bricked last night after a bad USB mode eject. Figuring that is probably the only way in at this point.
No.
You could sell it for parts.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:32 PM   #25
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Sometimes the magic smoke gets out. Sucks.

Can I assume that you read post #4? That's a starting point if you are ambitious e.g. see if you can get JTAG over USB working. Otherwise @knc1 's suggestion above.
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:40 PM   #26
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
I found one on ebay for parts (shot battery) for $1 plus shipping right now. If I didn't already have too many projects for my desk I would be sorely tempted to give it a shot

Edit: auction so probably won't actually sell for $1, but still

Last edited by Glorfindel; 02-08-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:12 PM   #27
Dra_w
Night Owl
Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!Dra_w rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3; Kindle Voyage
Smile Bingo!

For anyone who keep looking

But I got a problem when trying to access to diag mode. I stuck at kernel loading.

Could someone give it a try and tell me if you're getting the same problem with me or any change of success?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7288.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	417.2 KB
ID:	181279   Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	181280   Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	552