Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #31
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Boox M92
OK, that what you describe is doable for any document format. I never said it is not! But you cannot save that txt, transfer it to another PC or reader and have your notes/highlight preserved. I spoke about the fact that certain formats do not allow to store aditional information related to annotation within document file.

If it is satisfactory for you to have your annotations accessible only in your reader, then anything is possible. Many people need to share annotations with others, backup them and so on.

Even the transfer of annotation work to another device has sort of solution. It would be possible to transfer say txt file and separate file with information about annotations, etc. to another device and read it in a dedicated SW which is able handle both files and show everything like on say M92. It reminds me trials to convert bicycle into Harley Davidson motorbike. Yes, you can add a motor, better wheels, brakes, ... But will it be ever Harley?

I prefer to ride Harley (pdf), even for the cost of converting txt/doc/rtf/html into this format (.... Despite the fact I prefer to ride a bicycle to ride Harley on street. ).

If you or anyone else prefer something else, why not. Do it your way.
Mono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:32 PM   #32
naravive
Enthusiast
naravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle, Boox M92
Hmm, well, I do need to be able to export the annotations-- to send them back to the writer/student/client etc. Would it not be possible to save notes and highlights as a separate exportable text file, as the kindle does? And, if it is possible to have open office writer on the m92, wouldn't you be able to save in that document format, with the track changes?
naravive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #33
Mono
Mono
Mono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blueMono can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Yes, it would be possible, but then I wouldn't call it annotating txt/rtf/doc. You cannot read annotated txt/rtf/doc in any program allowing reading those formats, but only in program that is able "join" txt/rtf/doc and aditional info from second file and display it and possibly allow to anotate it further. It may work somehow, but it is very cumbersome.

It really depends what exactly you need. What is your workflow. What students need. What is their workflow. What operating system and software you and students use. And what is the lifespan of the anotated document.

M92 is not, IMO, very suitable for text editing. It is possible to write a word or two, maybe short message, but something more complex would be painful....

I hope, it will be possible to attach a keyboard one day and since then it would be OK. The current sw keyboard is not my favorite...

Maybe might help, if you describe what you need concerning annotation and what exactly you and students do with annotations. If you use Kindle now and want it get replaced with M92, describe what you do with Kindle.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #34
naravive
Enthusiast
naravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animalsnaravive is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle, Boox M92
Well, for work with students it's not so bad since all I have to do is annotate. But when I edit pieces with an author, it's trickier. Goes something like this:

1. Author sends work
2. I annotate with track changes
3. Author can choose to accept or reject changes

You can see how this latter use would be cumbersome with a scribbled-up pdf, though I am trying to do it this way for now. It means the author of the document has to keep two windows open-- one with the scribbled-up pdf and another with the document itself, so they can make corrections and changes. I can see two ways to make this easier--

1) you can edit doc/rtf directly on the m92, just like you can already-- in theory-- edit and add to txt files. This means I wouldn't use track changes but capital letters and underlining or whatever for my comments and suggestions. This is the simpler suggestion, and if you can already view doc files on the m92, how hard can it be to allow editing of them as well?

I could even take this edited file into MS word, then use "compare documents" to instantly render the difference between this and the original file as tracked changes.

2) If Open Office Writer is on the m92, then you can just have it open a range of formats and use its track changes function. No one has answered whether it's technically possible to put Open Office Writer as one of the programs on the m92?

I agree having an attachable keyboard would be great. My greatest priority is simply to be able to do all the different kinds of work I do with text and words, in the different formats I do them, without having to stare at an lcd screen for several hours a day. I think the developers focus should be on just this: text, and black and white image.

To go back to to the earlier discussion, it makes no difference to me if the m92 can play music/ lectures or interviews I've recorded etc because I use my phone and mp3 player very well for that. If the m92 could also wipe my butt, give me a shower, walk the dog and drop my daughter off at school, great, whatever, but those are not functionalities I really look for in an e-reader.
naravive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 06:01 PM   #35
Mono
Mono

OK. You do not need just annotations, but also text edditing and track changes functionality.

Sooner or later there should be android port running on M92. I guess Open Office or something similar might run in android. It would solve most or all of your desires.

Only Booxtor might know if edditing and track changes is planned for current "firmware platform" in near or far future.
Advert