Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Problems with html containing SmartQuotes, etc.

I've been buying books from eReader since its Peanut Press days, first for my Palm PDAs and then my Pocket PCs, but now its time to move on. I'm trying to convert the entire library to ePub in anticipation of buying an eReader.

I chose a book I'd like to read as the first experiment with the process. Used ereader2html and got a clean html file containing graphics, mdashes, SmartQuotes, SmartApostrophes, etc. Ran the book through Calibre using an HTML to ZIP plug-in customization of ISO-8859-1 (the character encoding Firefox reported for the book) and the conversion stripped all the mdashes and SmartQuotes, SmartApostrophes, etc from the book. Any ideas how I can fix this?

Thanks for any help,
FrQuixote
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Use cp1252 encoding instead
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Smile That fixed it! Thanks

I really appreciate the help. Now I can get the rest of the library converted. Thanks very much!
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:21 AM   #4
ChristopherTD
Addict
ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChristopherTD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin Reader on iPad Air (via Calibre)
There is a version of the scripts that just removes the DRM, leaving you with a PML file, which you can manually drop into the free DropBook program. I took this approach with the 400 odd books I had in eReader format. It was somewhat tedious, but at the end I had the original books, not something that had been converted to something else and back again. Then I loaded them all into Calibre where they were converted to ePub quite happily for reading on Stanza or Sony Reader (or future device)...
ChristopherTD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, conversion, epub, html